• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How to Destroy your Anime Backlog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeadGoon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:13 am Reply with quote
My backlog is ridiculous. At last estimate, if I were to watch 1 title a week, it would take me upwards of 3 years to get caught up.
Shirο

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
about 150-200 anime and i want to watch the best during this summer cause next year ill have to focus more on school so that i can pass at a university, just finished shirobako but it was one of these anime that are good enough to watch but not good enough to watch many episodes per day, so yeah...almost one week on this one
DLH112

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
my anime backlog isn't too bad, but my JRPG backlog is. I have about 70 total on PS2, PS3, and steam that I've only played to the first save point or watched the opening cutscene to make sure they worked when i bought them. Thinking of them in total, each one being at least a 30 hour experience is overwhelming (and thats really low, considering when i complete RPGs I like to do post-game stuff and go for achievements/trophies). I really just need to pick one and play it i guess.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I see Wolf Children in that collection, I'm proud Smile
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I've basically just been picking stuff and watching it when I feel like watching anime but a new episode of whatever series I've been following isn't out yet. It's worked pretty well so far.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I never have much of a backlog really. My decision to watch something is very random. Usually I have seen something about it before, or it has themes that appeal to me, and one day I just decide to watch it. I suppose I have some things people have recommended to me, but they are also in my nebulous "pool". On occasion I forget, some, but they always come back to mind when I am searching. A strict list isn't for me, I've found. I have too much trouble deciding from a list.
Laughing
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm an old anime fan from long ago, I downsized my anime VCD/DVD collection 5 years ago maintaining only titles from Bandai (Sunrise), Rurouni Kenshin and the 12 Kingdoms. My collection wasn't big but it was hard to trim. I sold on eBay, gave away some old titles and offloaded others to FYI. As Zac mentioned in his article, we must do this without remorse. Crying or Very sad I am still unable to offload titles like Samurai 7, Moribito and surprisingly Samurai Champloo. I suffered great financial loss in the downsizing as prices of DVDs fell, unpopular titles could not sell and VCDs lost its value because new players can't play VCDs. I'm sure many people here have never even heard of VCDs. It's history!

Then, you might think that maintaining just 3 titles is easy right? That was what I thought but NO....., I have to update the titles. For example, new Blu Ray movies (dramas) for Rurouni Kenshin, new translations for Zeta Gundam, old Gundam and 12 Kingdom titles I had in VCD format needs to be changed into region 1 DVDs. Adding new titles to the Bandai collection is more difficult than before because of illegal copies. I am saddened and shocked to learn that Bandai Entertainment has stopped producing region 1 DVDs. So, I have my hands full even with just 3 titles. Now, these 3 titles are indeed what I really want to keep. I can focus on the titles that matter most to me.

I'm glad I downsized although I miss Trinity Blood, Scrapped Princess etc.....Rolling Eyes I must remember Zac's advice, ----- do it without remorse.
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
I'm so behind on all the shows that people are talking about these days that sometimes, I feel like I'm not even an otaku anymore. Crying or Very sad
icelava

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
I cannot agree on this three-episode patience rule of thumb.

Some titles require longer engagement before the essence truly shines through. I didn't properly grasp 「Hachimitsu to Clover」 until the sixth episode. And I was frustrated with 「Puella Magi Madoka Magica 」 until the tenth episode.

If I had up and left because I didn't feel entertained, then I would have missed out on many a great series.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
In addition to the three-episode rule, I really disagree with the approach of judging/reviewing anime on an episode-by-episode basis. While this might work for episodic anime like SOL and comedy, for very narrative heavy shows that structure their entire season as one big macro narrative, the first three episodes are nothing more than the introduction. Shows like Higurashi, Haruhi and even this season's Punch Line that work by fooling the audience won't do well with this mercenary-style approach.

Also, the whole idea of not being afraid to dislike something that is generally considered good and vice versa by the community at large is harder than you think. Especially with many reviews and reviewers that aim to demonize a show without thought for the audience who might find said show enjoyable. Perhaps it's just a particular style of review and perhaps I'm being pedantic, but I honestly dislike reviewers who say "X show is horrible" as opposed to "X show is not for me, but you might like it and that's okay" (a caveat that the Nostalgia Critic does not fail to mention). With regard to the former, it's implied that if I were to like the show, I have horrible taste or the reviewer thinks I'm a horrible person.

I do suppose the onus is on the reader or the individual to not feel offended or have the emotional and intellectual maturity to fight for their own tastes and preferences. However, with peer pressure and human's natural instinct to want to be liked, that is easier said than done, especially when the overwhelming majority is against you.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote
Don't feel the need ya have to watch everything. So what if ya missed some - life goes on, don't worry about it.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 am Reply with quote
Something I've found helpful lately: when one disc comes out, another one goes into the tray immediately, even if I'm not going to watch it right away. Makes it easy to just flip it on anytime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8