• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Durarara!! to Run on U.S. Adult Swim Network in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:51 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

The dub's saving grace was ironically the Japanese voice actors' biggest failure - the Russian dialogue. It was nigh-intelligible in the Japanese. Izaya's voice actor utterly raped the language in just a few lines.

Maybe he should learn to speak French..... in Russian. Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
That's the problem with people who are spoiled on fansubs. They think Japanese is the perfect language or something. Lol, news flash: it's not.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
Fansubs has nothing to do with it, unless R1 DVDs have suddenly stopped having Japanese as an audio option.
I think Japanese is the perfect language for anime, most of the time.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote
I've got to say, I feel bad for AS. They get complaints when they don't license more anime shows, but they also get complaints when they do license more anime shows.

Considering how little they edit (if at all) the anime shows they have aired recently and in the past, I much rather watch a show that hasn't been edited at all (or very, very little) than watch a anime show that has a vast amount of edits or is entirely edited.

It could always be worse though. AS could very well just decide to no longer air anime anymore and we could have nothing at all. In AS situation, something is much better than nothing at all. Can't say that about any other station that air's anime these days (i.e. Nick, Disney etc.)

Considering that Syfy is discontinuing showing anime entirely, I don't think that many stations left that will air anime unedited or very, very lightly edited these days.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Fansubs has nothing to do with it, unless R1 DVDs have suddenly stopped having Japanese as an audio option.

Yeah, it's the perfect language...if the series takes places in Japan, with very Japanese characters.

Hellsing? Le Chevalier D'Eon? Black Lagoon? FMA? Bebop? Baccano? Gungrave? Awkward.

Sorry, but no. Japanese only works where it belongs. And the same should apply to everything else (which is exactly why I'm questing for D'Eon's french dub.....)
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Yeah, it's the perfect language...if the series takes places in Japan, with very Japanese characters.

Hellsing? Le Chevalier D'Eon? Black Lagoon? FMA? Bebop? Baccano? Gungrave? Awkward.

Sorry, but no. Japanese only works where it belongs. And the same should apply to everything else (which is exactly why I'm questing for D'Eon's french dub.....)

Pfft I was talking about anime like Afro Samurai, Blood: the Last Vampire and some of the mixed language scenes in NGE. That sort of fidelity starts and stops with the anime production team, not the dubbings.

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:59 am Reply with quote
Blood pulled it off near perfectly.

In fact, I call that a step-up.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:31 am Reply with quote
Did anyone here finish Durarara? I dropped it when the spoiler[Dullahan backstory hit. ]
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently finishing up the 3rd box set, so I'll tune in if I have nothing else to watch during that time slot. I've been watching the dubbed version and it's very good in my opinion. Then again, I usually don't critically analyze ever single detail like name pronunciations unless it's highly noticeable. I prefer to just sit back and enjoy the show.

People have mentioned that they don't like the price point of the box sets, but it's fairly reasonable and the packaging is nice on top of the good video quality. I would have preferred a blu-ray release, but I'll take what is available.

Last edited by Guren Alchemist4 on Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Did anyone here finish Durarara? I dropped it when the spoiler[Dullahan backstory hit. ]

That was......pretty early on. :/
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I meant to hit edit on my last post.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Just to let ya guys know, AS cards have been advertising Durarara this weekend.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Here is the French dub for Le Chevalier d'Eon.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Just to let ya guys know, AS cards have been advertising Durarara this weekend.

Yeah, I saw that advertisement when I as watching Bleach on Saturday on AS. Although it was a good commercial, I find it hilarious that there was a Geico commercial with a talking pig with shortly after.

Could be luck of the draw, but either it still was a little bit hilarious.

I'll probably watch it this week and see how it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9