• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
@Nordhmmer

I'm guessing you mean spoiler[that chick who was playing with a Rubik's cube? I've a hunch that she's gonna be stupidly powerful cause of her personality... or think she is but then get one shotted by Ainz. 50/50 chance]
Even so said character hasn't made a real introduction so even if they can challenge Ainz in the future it doesn't change the fact that Ainz has been steamrolling everyone in front of him.

@#886170

I don't even bother with the subreddit thread for overlord, way to chaotic Laughing
Honestly going into the series I was expecting Ainz to roleplay an evil overlord but internally reject everything about it.
In s1 Ainz had some dark moments but he was trying to retain his humanity.

Kokuryu Daimao wrote:
The consequences or the point of Ainz's deeds depends on what people consider more important:

The End Result, or the methods one takes to achieve that Result?

IF Ainz performs a ton of horrific deeds, but eventually brings about World Peace and Prosperity by it, then were his actions right or wrong?
If he ends up killing thousands to save millions then is he still a Villain?

I have no answer, but I'm patient enough to see where the story goes with their answer before making my own decision.

Laughing
Thats certainly a distant way of looking at it.
But to answer your question though my answer is yes.
At least the way Overlord is posing the question.
I'm interested to see what Overlord's answer to it is but I have a sinking feeling that it wont be satisfying.

TarsTarkas wrote:

Ainz is an undead, and apparently the system/game/world is making sure he is that character. He is no longer a human being, and humanity is not his people. His people that he has to protect and guide are the denizens of the Great Tomb of Nazarick.

Ainz is not a God and Ainz can be killed, even his people know that. The battle with Shalltear should have shown that, and he probably would have still lost that one spoiler[ if not for a certain hand of 'fate'.]

Ainz is certainly not your typical protag but I feel like a story about him pretending to be evil while struggling to stay good would have been far more interesting but thats just me i guess.

Also Ainz might as well be a God. In most religions, Gods are Gods because they're so far beyond the reach of mortals. And we the viewers are exposed to the perspective of the mortals far more than other characters.
Sure Shalltear can beat ainz 1v1 but he's had loads of options from the start, the one he chose just had the least amount of risk to him because Ainz was thinking long term.
Also his method of winning that fight was absurdly dumb.
Definitely unique and creative but the literal definition of asspull.

@Yttrbio
Ah I'm glad someone finally used Code Geass as reference.
While Code Geass had its fair share of flaws Lelouch is one of my favourite characters because the series presents him as a 'demon' in the first episode but the series spends its time turning him into one.

On a side note anyone else feel like the opening for S1 is incredibly fitting?
Part of the chorus for the OP goes:
Where's my soul?
Where's my heart?
Answer: It's gone, you lost it some time ago now you don't have either anymore Ainz Sad
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
... so him being a hypocrite or turning into a villain are only observations you can make from outside the show, and they're completely irrelevant to the show's own progression or structure.

I understand your point, you make perfect sense. But you know, who says one can't enjoy making observations from the outside? Personally I like stories that don't spoon feed me their narrative but that let me see the inconsistencies between a character's actions and perspective then give me the oportunity to make my own conclusion. The story doesn't need to punish ainz for me to know he isn't a good guy. He gets away with his action because at the end of the day he has power. That doesn't mean we cant be entertained by watching his flawed self live throughout his situation
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:43 am Reply with quote
Kokuryu Daimao wrote:

I am actually enjoying this series precisely because its not a cut and dry "hero's journey".

I'm curious to see if they actually achieve World Domination, and how they go about it.
The consequences or the point of Ainz's deeds depends on what people consider more important:

The End Result, or the methods one takes to achieve that Result?

IF Ainz performs a ton of horrific deeds, but eventually brings about World Peace and Prosperity by it, then were his actions right or wrong?
If he ends up killing thousands to save millions then is he still a Villain?

I have no answer, but I'm patient enough to see where the story goes with their answer before making my own decision.

Again, I am not interested in any philosophizing about the "perspective" of soulless monsters that doesn't give a crap about human lives. The fact that it is only natural for them to kill humans is exactly what makes them monsters. I don't give a damn about their "morals" or about speculating whether Ainz might accidentally make a few things better along the way. He still causes mass death and destruction to the innocent needlessly. He is a monster. End of discussion.

And if you enjoy a story that doesn't have a traditional hero's journey, great, but that has nothing to do with what I said. The problem isn't that Ainz isn't a hero, the problem is that he isn't even a villain because there is no story to be had here. One guy mod-spamming his way through a game is not a story, and without a story and more importantly, a conflict, there can be no villain. Just a guy with 0 empathy and a major Peter-Pan complex playing around in a kiddie-pool.

Last edited by Johan Eriksson 9003 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:45 am Reply with quote
I can't speak for others, But I have a very good understanding of what a Villain is.

I also find it interesting and sometimes necessary to play the devil's advocate.

Now, MiloTheFirst has the advantage of knowing everything that hasn't been presented in the Anime series so far, but even then the series isn't completely told.

Its easy to write Ainz off as a villain. The minute he said he wanted World Domination, he basically became a villain (surprised no one even mentioned that).

The challenge is when critically looking at everything he's done, is it possible to consider Ainz as a potential Hero?

The facts are: The quality of life in the village of Carne has improved. The city of E-Rantel is safer. The Kingdom of Re-Estize has less crime and its people are more united from the demon assault. There is peace in the region among the Lizardman clans. Advancements in alchemy/potions are being made.
Looking at everything that has occurred, from the Micro to the Macro, has Ainz's impact on this fictional world resulted in greater good or greater evil?

If the Author introduces a new character, who isn't a "Hero", but an even greater evil than Ainz, one who instead of World Domination wants to create World Destruction, would Ainz, in all his selfish, murdering, overpowered self, then be the Hero? (That one is just a theoretical thought exercise. I have no idea if there is such a character)

Like MiloTheFirst, I'm personally more interested in the secondary characters than Ainz. I think that the Floor Guardians, if left to their own stories absent Ainz, would be more entertaining. But its also because I don't have strong feelings towards Ainz that some others have that I like messing with their perceptions of him. Honestly, if the majority of people were more positive of his actions I'd be arguing for the other side.
I just like being entertained and for the most part Overlord has done that.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:05 am Reply with quote
I am pretty sure this was both told and showcased in the anime but ainz didn't shutdown eight fingers, nazarick instead subjugated them, meaning they are still operating their crime empire just that they know take orders from and pay taxes to albedo
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:15 am Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:

Again, I am not interested in any philosophizing about the "perspective" of soulless monsters that doesn't give a crap about human lives. The fact that it is only natural for them to kill humans is exactly what makes them monsters. I don't give a damn about their "morals" or about speculating whether Ainz might accidentally make a few things better along the way. He still causes mass death and destruction to the innocent needlessly. He is a monster. End of discussion.

And if you enjoy a story that doesn't have a traditional hero's journey, great, but that has nothing to do with what I said. The problem isn't that Ainz isn't a hero, the problem is that he isn't even a villain because there is no story to be had here. One guy mod-spamming his way through a game is not a story, and without a story and more importantly, a conflict, there can be no villain. Just a guy with 0 empathy and a major Peter-Pan complex playing around in a kiddie-pool.

Also Again, NEVER said he Was Not a Monster. They ALL Are Monsters.
Not sure why you keep saying that or ending a discussion that was never there.
If you look back, I'm actually agreeing with you on some points.

If anything, all I'm saying is that the Humans Are Monsters As Well. Just look at the way they treat not only the traditional monsters, but Demi-humans like elves and even other Humans as well. Or did we conveniently forget the state of Tuare when we first met her?
Who did that to her? Oh yea, Humans.

As for Ainz, Death and Destruction, YES, but who are these "innocents" that you speak of? I don't remember Ainz ever attacking anyone innocent. I do remember him preventing Solution from having innocent humans as a reward.
Does that mean I'm saying Ainz isn't a Monster? NO, he still is.

But in a world of Monsters, who are we suppose to root for?
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:21 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
I am pretty sure this was both told and showcased in the anime but ainz didn't shutdown eight fingers, nazarick instead subjugated them, meaning they are still operating their crime empire just that they know take orders from and pay taxes to albedo

Ah Thank you. The Anime showed the subjugation of Eight Fingers, and that a few of them were tortured and all their stuff was taken, but it never made clear if they were still operating as a crime empire or to what extent. As in its not clear if they are still trafficking in the white slavery that created Tuare, or if they are just performing other criminal activities.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:35 am Reply with quote
Kokuryu Daimao wrote:

Also Again, NEVER said he Was Not a Monster. They ALL Are Monsters.
Not sure why you keep saying that or ending a discussion that was never there.
If you look back, I'm actually agreeing with you on some points.

Maybe because you keep saying stuff like this:

Quote:
This whole Hero/Villain discussion is essentially about Morals.
However the biggest thing to consider is WHOSE MORALS?
That is what I mean by the whole "Point of View" concept.

Your Morals are clear. Ainz actions are immoral and paint him as a villain to YOU. You disagree with everything he does because they are things YOU would not do.

Because I guess torturing sentient beings is just about "personal morality", right? Ugh, this is why I don't have any patience for this whole "perspective" businiess. The morals of amoral monsters are a non-starter.

Quote:
If anything, all I'm saying is that the Humans Are Monsters As Well. Just look at the way they treat not only the traditional monsters, but Demi-humans like elves and even other Humans as well. Or did we conveniently forget the state of Tuare when we first met her?
Who did that to her? Oh yea, Humans.

Who is "they" to you? The Eight fingers? If the point was, "not all monsters look like monsters" then fine, but that doesn't mean he isn't an evil piece of shit, and that his evil has no narrative function. "Humans" aren't monsters in this world, and it is pointless to do "whataboutism" when the story doesn't even try to make a point out of it.

Quote:
As for Ainz, Death and Destruction, YES, but who are these "innocents" that you speak of? I don't remember Ainz ever attacking anyone innocent. I do remember him preventing Solution from having innocent humans as a reward.

He ordered the attack on the lizardmen. He allowed Demiurge to torture and kill countless humans. He still allows the eight fingers to operate their slave-trade. Those are all on him.

Quote:
Does that mean I'm saying Ainz isn't a Monster? NO, he still is.

But in a world of Monsters, who are we suppose to root for?

Not the ones who sadistically torture and kill on a much larger scale than others and also takes it out on far more innocent people.

This is also why the complete lack of conflict is such a big problem, because we absolutely could root for Nazarick if there was any kind of story built around them, but there isn't. If Ainz actually cared about the fact that his "role" is forcing him to become more evil and he somehow fought against it, then that would be an internal conflict and we could root for him on that. If there was another, bigger villain even stronger than him around that could challenge him, then that would be an external conflict we could root for him to win, and we might get some interesting internal conflict about people settling for a lesser evil when forced to choose. If Ainz was doing horrific things as a means to change the world for the better or stop the bigotry against non-humans, that would be another type of conflict we could care about or best of all, if we could get someone to actually call Ainz on his immature chuuni-shit and also challenge him with might we could have some real development of him as a character.

This story doesn't do any of that, which is why I don't care about pretentious philosophizing like "well, maybe we are all a bit evil" or "It's so deep that we don't know who to root for".
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:59 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Take a show like Code Geass. Here was have a show centered around a villain who has a set of priorities that, in his mind, take precedence over any and all destruction and mayhem he causes. He's cold and indifferent, because he doesn't care about other people, except as tools. And while a lot of the folks he fights are also villains, that doesn't make him not one.

He also, through his "villainous" actions, presents his side of things as an irredeemable evil, which motivates his "heroic" foil to reject his own ideals and throw in with what he sees as a lesser set of villains

And here we'll have to disagree again, because I don't see Lelouch as a villain either. I'd describe him as calculating, pragmatic, ruthless; a dark protagonist, but not a villain. He saved the world and made it a better place for his friends and family (coincidentally by manipulating the public's simplified views of heroes and villains). Ainz is trying to make the world a better place for his friends as well.
partially

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:23 am Reply with quote
Well, I am not going to exhaustively search back to double-check so I could be wrong. But I think it a stretch to call Ainz a villain. He has never as I recall actually killed an innocent. He has certainly been impassive and cold-blooded (?) but that hardly makes a villain. The adventurers in this episode are played off as "nice people", but that hardly detracts from the fact they are, in the end, looting and pillaging out of greed and/or need for easy money. Some of them have better reasons than others, sure, but at the end of the day what they are doing is invading someone else's land for their own ends. And if Ainz wasn't extremely strong do you think these "nice people" wouldn't have had no second thoughts about killing him? No, they would happily slaughter Ainz and his "family" in exactly the same way he did them, without giving any chance to listen to reasons.

So Ainz villain? Hardly. Morally twisted? Sure.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:11 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's really all that important whether Ainz is a "villain" or a "dark protagonist" or both or something else entirely. His comfort with pretty much needless torture carried out by Nazarick's denizens, and his willingness to kill living, feeling, thinking beings as a matter of convenience (e.g. the lizardmen that he killed) don't exactly recommend him as morally upright, though. The idea that any of this is strategically necessary to protecting Nazarick is a pretty silly deflection, as he and Nazarick face virtually no meaningful threats in their world; he just doesn't really care about or value other thinking, living, feeling creatures or their suffering.

MiloTheFirst wrote:
Is seeing how ainz psyche continue to change, aside from the actual plebeian lives he tramples over during his operations, when it comes to the narrative the concequencescof his actions are those that take action into his own character. Just as telling a lie many times over would lead the person to believe it himself. Every line he crosses is a point of no return onto normalization of selfishness, even if he doesn't realises it on a concious level

Perhaps I would feel differently had I read the source material, but I don't think the show's done a very good job exploring Ainz's psychological changes, directly or indirectly. I think that for that kind of character study to be done well we'd still need some evidence of conflict, though; those conflicts don't have to be external---they can be other characters worrying about the changes in Ainz's psyche, or Ainz himself struggling with the morality of decisions, etc. Internal struggle is perfectly fine.

But we don't really get any of that in the show. Ainz seems like more-or-less the same generic MMORPG player he was when the show started, with the only noticeable change being the way the show began to frame his villainous acts in the last episode.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
@Nordhmmer

I'm guessing you mean that chick who was playing with a Rubik's cube? I've a hunch that she's gonna be stupidly powerful cause of her personality... or think she is but then get one shotted by Ainz. 50/50 chance
Even so said character hasn't made a real introduction so even if they can challenge Ainz in the future it doesn't change the fact that Ainz has been steamrolling everyone in front of him.

Nope Smile

You're talking about Zesshi and The Captain of the Black Scripture (that's currently his one and only name...should tell ya something lol) both are shown in S2's ep 1.
And that's her only scene currently in the novel,both are part of yet another set of story lines...

I'm talking about Albedo and her sisters,her little sister in particular.
The anime has dropped all mention of her sisters,and a single scene in Season 2's episode 10 (starts at 20:50) is all that remains of this sub plot.

It's not speculation but canon that spoiler[ Albedo's little sister Rubedo is the single strongest entity ever to reside in Nazarick. The way Ainz describes her power makes one think of a final boss in a WoW type 5 man dungeon.]

And it is canon that spoiler[ Albedo's older sis Nigredo prophesied that one day Rubedo will bring calamity to Nazarick. ]

Add to that S2 ep 10.Which I see as Albedo's growing conflict between her original slutty tsundere settings her Ainz created yandere setting.

And also consider what was left out of S3's ep 8 -

spoiler[ Albedo has been allowed to form a "super secret surveillance squad" and because she wants to form the strongest team possible,Ainz grants her control over Rubedo. Albedo tells Ainz she intends to search down even the merest hint of a rumor in her search for his former guildmates.
(Albedo intends to use her OP death squad to hunt down & murder any former guild members found)]
-Just another one of those misunderstandings that happen too often in Overlord.
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
The idea that any of this is strategically necessary to protecting Nazarick is a pretty silly deflection, as he and Nazarick face virtually no meaningful threats in their world; he just doesn't really care about or value other thinking, living, feeling creatures or their suffering.

That doesn't seem quite right.
Isn't their strategy all because they faced a Meaningful threat all the way back in season 1, namely the rebellion of Shalltear .
That established the presence of World-Class Items that are capable of turning one of their own, a Floor Guardian of Shalltear's strength, against them.

Granted, Ainz was still able to beat Shalltear, and she is one of their own and not some new world enemy, but because Ainz doesn't know how many other World-Class items are out there, what they can do, or who even has them, he decided to take a more cautious and more subtle approach to their world domination.
Isn't that why he wants to establish a powerbase of sorts that is not dependent on their items from Yggdrasil?
Gathering information, potion research, NPC development, increasing their military forces through the lizardmen, undead or living, and all the other various experiments, are all parts of that goal.
Ainz limits how much power he displays because he is wary of who might be watching.

Now we as the audience know that Ainz is grossly overestimating any who go against them, and that the encounter usually ends up in an anti-climatic, one-sided curb stomp, but Ainz doesn't. For some that ends up being a source of disappointment and an ongoing issue with the series.
tianchris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:

---snip--- root for Nazarick if there was any kind of story built around them, but there isn't. If Ainz actually cared about the fact that his "role" is forcing him to become more evil and he somehow fought against it, then that would be an internal conflict and we could root for him on that. If there was another, bigger villain even stronger than him around that could challenge him, then that would be an external conflict we could root for him to win, and we might get some interesting internal conflict about people settling for a lesser evil when forced to choose. If Ainz was doing horrific things as a means to change the world for the better or stop the bigotry against non-humans, that would be another type of conflict we could care about or best of all, if we could get someone to actually call Ainz on his immature chuuni-shit and also challenge him with might we could have some real development of him as a character.

This story doesn't do any of that, which is why I don't care about pretentious philosophizing like "well, maybe we are all a bit evil" or "It's so deep that we don't know who to root for".

How about a story of normal people not a hero nor a villain that got transport to another world where everyone around him is a monster that he couldn't tell when their loyalty will turn against him who cautious against some unseen enemy? A premise that the npc could learn something that is not in their program means that they could do something that is not in their program for example going against their creator. And if you say that there's no enemy that is stronger than him that because as an audience you know who brainwash Shalltear but Ainz has no way to know that. All he knows is that there is an opponent strong enough to brainwash Shalltear and they have world item. No matter how i see it Ainz is definitely a cautious person bordering to paranoid. A story of a coward, cautious person to survive in a world full of monster. BTW it is also a time of war so humans is also count as monster. Look at what theocracy done. And you definitely overestimate Ainz. Try to look at what he really do himself and not what others do as he definitely don't know a thing about that. About the workers he did ask why they do the job and they answer that it's for money. About lizardmens it's a war.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
But I think it a stretch to call Ainz a villain. He has never as I recall actually killed an innocent.

You mean aside from the people who lived in the village that got killed when he did his pointless test? Or the lizard man that got killed when he did his pointless war? Maybe they died off screen, but that doesn't change anything.

It also doesn't really matters if he makes or has made the situation better. If a firefighter save a little girl from an house fire, that doesn't make it okay for him to sequester her in his basement and use her as a sex slave. Or if a millionaire run over a someone so give some money to the local hospital to help save 2 people. Intent are important, Ainz could help people in a way that wouldn't require him to be pointlessly cruel and killing people, he's way more powerful than he needs to be to do that, but he doesn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 13