• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Spice and Wolf Fantasy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
But the poiint still stands, my eyes will go to were the subs are, thus missing the work that I'm supposed to be seeing. That is true for even the fastest of sub readers.
I've watched anime for over 27 years,(Subs and Raw) and have never had this problem.Besides,when you are reading,what is the character doing on screen? Are you saying lip syncing is action? What action is there to be had (while talking) besides shonen characters calling out moves?

I'm telling you,once you familiarize yourself with enough Japanese through subs,you will lose the need for subtitling/you won't even notice they are there.Then it eventually opens a world where you can watch everything.Everything.Not just the popular stuff rummaged through by R1 companies.

Key wrote:
You're wrong. I watch subs all the time (and have for years) and still clearly notice - and am occasionally distracted by - subtitles on screen.
I'm wrong,huh? Thanks Theron,you must still lack experience then,are burned out or just flat out don't care about the title you are watching to be distracted in anyway possible.Especially not with today's crowd.Something don't add up.

Key wrote:
It's already been well-established that people do not all handle subtitles the same way, so just leave it at that.
Lol,I know,I'm well aware of the purpose of English dubs and the masses it attracts.

But,alright,I'll drop it.I'm thankful Funi has taken an interest in Spice and Wolf though.

Can't wait.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well I guess it might be marketed towards older people anyway as it is pretty hard to understand by younger people even though the absence of swearing or even a sexual themes. I had to keeep dtopping the video and explain to my 15 year old sister what was going on, especialy when Lawrence was tricked.

Something can be mature without the usual violence, cursing, and sexual situations. An anime about later medieval/early renaissance economics isn't going to appeal to the masses. There was a whole chuck of one episode that was just about the exchange rate between two coins. I doubt anyone's really watching it for that, I was mainly focusing on Horo. Oh, and why is everyone talking about the nudity? She was naked for one episode, it doesn't show anything. But all this talk is making me want to crank out those BluRays downloads.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
LordRedhand wrote:
But the poiint still stands, my eyes will go to were the subs are, thus missing the work that I'm supposed to be seeing. That is true for even the fastest of sub readers.
I've watched anime for over 27 years,(Subs and Raw) and have never had this problem.Besides,when you are reading,what is the character doing on screen? Are you saying lip syncing is action? What action is there to be had (while talking) besides shonen characters calling out moves?

I'm telling you,once you familiarize yourself with enough Japanese through subs,you will lose the need for subtitling/you won't even notice they are there.Then it eventually opens a world where you can watch everything.Everything.Not just the popular stuff rummaged through by R1 companies.

Key wrote:
You're wrong. I watch subs all the time (and have for years) and still clearly notice - and am occasionally distracted by - subtitles on screen.
I'm wrong,huh? Thanks Theron,you must still lack experience then,are burned out or just flat out don't care about the title you are watching to be distracted in anyway possible.Especially not with today's crowd.Something don't add up.

Key wrote:
It's already been well-established that people do not all handle subtitles the same way, so just leave it at that.
Lol,I know,I'm well aware of the purpose of English dubs and the masses it attracts.

But,alright,I'll drop it.I'm thankful Funi has taken an interest in Spice and Wolf though.

Can't wait.

The only time I'm ever distracted by subs is when I space out for a second and realize I'm reading subs. Then I shake it off and go back to forgetting they're there. I guess some people just can't get used to them as others, I find it extremely natural. Even when there's multiple subs, like someone talking during an announcement, or the occasional useful TL note, I'll be able to glance up and down and usually get both. As Shadowrun said, when there's going to be that much text on the screen, all you're usually going to be seeing is the same three frames of mouth flaps, not really missing too much there.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed May 27, 2009 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
Actually not to pull the conversation a little off, a series that explains exchange rates would be awesome, at least for me anyways.

But then again I already have an interest in the Medival, from history, to rpgs to table top roleplaying so this is something of a wait and see the reviews but my interest is picqued.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oh, and why is everyone talking about the nudity? She was naked for one episode, it doesn't show anything. But all this talk is making me want to crank out those BluRays downloads.
Well If I remember properly there also some scenes after they have gone through the rain and they dry their clothes, aswell as the times that Horo transformed.

I myself are trying to get into accounting and ecconomics, so I found that Spice and Wolf was great way to look at the past such systems. Another great thing was that it is also quite educational about the time in terms of what belifes in medicine were like.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Actually not to pull the conversation a little off, a series that explains exchange rates would be awesome, at least for me anyways.

But then again I already have an interest in the Medival, from history, to rpgs to table top roleplaying so this is something of a wait and see the reviews but my interest is picqued.

I think that the two main draws of this series are the complicated discussions on economics (along with the interesting schemes that go along with them) and the interactions between Lawrence and Horo. I can see someone watching it just for the two of them and getting bored by the economics, but there's a lot of intelligent stuff behind the economic portions of the plot and it can be really interesting (albeit confusing at times). If you're at all interested in medieval economics, then this is definitely a show to watch. Even if someone isn't interested in it, I'd still suggest that they give a try since Horo makes things so interesting - even if you don't really get the economics stuff.

Last edited by Kalessin on Wed May 27, 2009 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oh, and why is everyone talking about the nudity? She was naked for one episode, it doesn't show anything. But all this talk is making me want to crank out those BluRays downloads.
Well If I remember properly there also some scenes after they have gone through the rain and they dry their clothes, aswell as the times that Horo transformed.

You basically get nudity when she first shows up and whenever she transforms. For the most part (if not entirely - I'd have to watch it again to be sure), you avoid it other than that. However, IIRC, you get to see pretty much all of her save for key parts covered by some strands of hair, so people looking to avoid nudity aren't likely to be happy about that. But still, she doesn't transform all that often and so you don't get nudity very often. It also isn't really sexual in any way. She just isn't wearing any clothes.

I think that the reason that the nudity is coming up in this thread is primarily because you not only see pretty much all of her, but it's smack dab in the middle of the first episode and very prominent. However, after that, nudity is pretty rare.

I can easily see someone thinking that showing as much of Horo's body as they do constitutes TV-MA, but its violence isn't anything like a typical, violent TV-MA show (not to mention the violence is pretty rare too), and its nudity is fairly confined and not particularly sexual, so it seems a bit much to put it at TV-MA. However, that's up to the folks at Funimation and however they decide such things.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
Why does there always have to be a sub vs. dub debate? Neutral

Speaking as an unashamedly biased party (self-proclaimed heretical dub lover) can I just say that having both options is best for fandom in general? I mean, last time I checked, anime fans came in a fairly diverse array of shapes, sizes, hues and genders so does it really shock and awe that some of us have eye problems or just personal tastes that make subs (or English dubs for that matter) not our preferred method of enjoying anime?

As long as both options are available either on a DVD, a Blu-Ray or a digital download, the whole issue shouldn't even matter. (Unless you're one of those fans who thinks everyone should act like you, in which case someone has a personal problem.)

And yeah, I know, I'm fanning flames.

I was just going to post about how much I'm interested in seeing this series since to it will deal with the economics of a medival/fantasy type setting, something I've always found kind of interesting. Plus I don't have nearly enough titles in my collection with wolf-girls. Especially gorgeous ones that remind me of Chisame from Negima.

By the by, is the official romanization of her name Horo or Holo?

The only real downside that pops into my head with this license is that season 2 isn't already included. I hate not being able to finish things in R1.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

The only real downside that pops into my head with this license is that season 2 isn't already included. I hate not being able to finish things in R1.

From what I have seen it is Holo, though all subtitles put as Horo, hopefully it wont create too much trouble fans fighting over names, but yeah, when I only watched dubs I hated the dub haters, it seems pretty childish. A good explanation I heard for difference of voices for dubs was what Crispen Freeman said in an interview in the Hellsing OVA about conveying something to a different culture, aswell as if they did exactly the same they would be ripping off the original artist instead of making it their own. I look forward to how they will portray each of the characters, and get the the sereis which has one of the catchiest english sung ending songs I have heard.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

From what I have seen it is Holo, though all subtitles put as Horo, hopefully it wont create too much trouble fans fighting over names, but yeah, when I only watched dubs I hated the dub haters, it seems pretty childish. A good explanation I heard for difference of voices for dubs was what Crispen Freeman said in an interview in the Hellsing OVA about conveying something to a different culture, aswell as if they did exactly the same they would be ripping off the original artist instead of making it their own. I look forward to how they will portray each of the characters, and get the the sereis which has one of the catchiest english sung ending songs I have heard.

But all they ever said in the show was Horo. Sometimes you can slightly tell when there could be room for the most L sound to come out, like with Lelouch, you can sometimes tell when they're making the effort to just not make the pure R sound. With Horo, it was full out R (Whore-o). And then, how do you say Holo in English? Hollow, Hull-o? Both sound stupid. I'm sorry, but I really think the Holo thing was just more Japanese retardation concerning the use of L's and R's, not the pronunciation. See: Status Clitical (Gravion), Rock On (G Gundam) and a variety of other examples, they're done it many many times before and show no signs of changing. For all intents and purposes in the west, it should always be pronounced Horo, so the spelling should follow suit.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Why does there always have to be a sub vs. dub debate? :|

Speaking as an unashamedly biased party (self-proclaimed heretical dub lover) can I just say that having both options is best for fandom in general? I mean, last time I checked, anime fans came in a fairly diverse array of shapes, sizes, hues and genders so does it really shock and awe that some of us have eye problems or just personal tastes that make subs (or English dubs for that matter) not our preferred method of enjoying anime?

As long as both options are available either on a DVD, a Blu-Ray or a digital download, the whole issue shouldn't even matter. (Unless you're one of those fans who thinks everyone should act like you, in which case someone has a personal problem.)

And yeah, I know, I'm fanning flames.

I was just going to post about how much I'm interested in seeing this series since to it will deal with the economics of a medival/fantasy type setting, something I've always found kind of interesting. Plus I don't have nearly enough titles in my collection with wolf-girls. Especially gorgeous ones that remind me of Chisame from Negima.

Honestly, there is no better way of watching anime. I admit I typically only watch English audio, but that doesn't mean I don't watch shows that don't have English audio. But the only shows I watch with subtitles are the shows that haven't been licensed yet. Otherwise, I'll always listen to English audio if possible.

My eyes as good as they used to be, so watching subtitles isn't always easy. When I was watching Chi's Sweet Home, sometimes the subtitles were small, so I had to really focus on the subtitles and not the anime itself.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't consider myself an incredibly slow reader, as I don't have extreme difficulty watching most any show in subtitles, but I do find I cannot really read most shows subtitles and truly watch what is going on, so I will always watch the dub if it's available unless it's truly horrible.

I am willing to admit when it's not as good, and S&W is really top notch in Japanese so it's very likely that the dub won't be as good as the original, but I have faith in Funimation and I know they have some capable people. They may not do as good a job but I think it will be "good enough" at least.

Quote:

But all they ever said in the show was Horo. Sometimes you can slightly tell when there could be room for the most L sound to come out, like with Lelouch, you can sometimes tell when they're making the effort to just not make the pure R sound. With Horo, it was full out R (Whore-o). And then, how do you say Holo in English? Hollow, Hull-o? Both sound stupid. I'm sorry, but I really think the Holo thing was just more Japanese retardation concerning the use of L's and R's, not the pronunciation. See: Status Clitical (Gravion), Rock On (G Gundam) and a variety of other examples, they're done it many many times before and show no signs of changing. For all intents and purposes in the west, it should always be pronounced Horo, so the spelling should follow suit.

I have to say I really agree with you and though I know the official is "Holo" I think there was some "Erementar Gerad" before that was also official. "Horo" is what I hear, and Holo frankly just doesn't sound good at all.

I'll live if they do it. I just hope they are considering using Horo instead.
Loganator456

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
Agreed. I think Horo is the best name. "Holo" just sounds weird and doesn't fit at all.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
But all they ever said in the show was Horo. Sometimes you can slightly tell when there could be room for the most L sound to come out, like with Lelouch, you can sometimes tell when they're making the effort to just not make the pure R sound.

ugh, no, I think you're imagining things, because that Japanese sound does have different possibilities of being pronounced depending on the person and some of them are closer to L than others - but for the Japanese it's essentially the same sound and they never try to make a difference consciously, when they pronounce their Katakana-names. In fact, even if they try, they have extreme difficulties, distinguishing and especially pronouncing L and R differently in a certain context. (Which is absolutely normal.)

By the way, we Westeners are extremly focused on the spelling. If we read Horo in the subtitles we hear Horo. If they would have always spelt her name Holo, we would have heard Holo instead.

Quote:
And then, how do you say Holo in English? Hollow, Hull-o? Both sound stupid.

Well, in Japanese they sound completely the same, so you can always pronounce it like the Japanese do, even in English Wink To me, Horo doesn't sound any better than Holo either way Anime hyper
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
But all they ever said in the show was Horo. Sometimes you can slightly tell when there could be room for the most L sound to come out, like with Lelouch, you can sometimes tell when they're making the effort to just not make the pure R sound.

ugh, no, I think you're imagining things, because that Japanese sound does have different possibilities of being pronounced depending on the person and some of them are closer to L than others - but for the Japanese it's essentially the same sound and they never try to make a difference consciously, when they pronounce their Katakana-names. In fact, even if they try, they have extreme difficulties, distinguishing and especially pronouncing L and R differently in a certain context. (Which is absolutely normal.)

By the way, we Westeners are extremly focused on the spelling. If we read Horo in the subtitles we hear Horo. If they would have always spelt her name Holo, we would have heard Holo instead.

Quote:
And then, how do you say Holo in English? Hollow, Hull-o? Both sound stupid.

Well, in Japanese they sound completely the same, so you can always pronounce it like the Japanese do, even in English Wink To me, Horo doesn't sound any better than Holo either way Anime hyper

I disagree. If you keep the pronunciation the same as the Japanese, the spelling doesn't fit what you said. And no, if they spelled Holo, I don't think I'd hear Holo. But that's with the Japanese, I'm focusing on the English and especially on what they'll say in the dub. If the pronunciation is the same (Hoar-oh), then Holo won't match. And if you spell it Holo and pronounce it the same way, you don't get the same same of the word as you would in Japanese. Being a main character and having to hear her name quite often, it is a big point of contention for me. I guess the main concern is just really what they say, not how they spell it.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:58 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If you keep the pronunciation the same as the Japanese, the spelling doesn't fit what you said.

If the pronunciation is the same (Hoar-oh), then Holo won't match.

That's what I mean by being too focused on the spelling. From that point of view, neither Holo nor Horo does fit the Japanese pronunciation. Because they neither say an english L nor R.

It's maybe because I'm used to Japanese, that for me it's absolutely no problem to simply accept the Japanese sound as it is no matter how it is spelled in our alphabet - the important spelling being the Katakana and not the transliteration. And just accept that L and R are identical xD

Quote:
And no, if they spelled Holo, I don't think I'd hear Holo.

You can try. ^^ Do you happen to watch Bleach? Do you hear them say "Hollow" or "Horo"? Wink Because the Katakana are exactly the same as our wolf heroine's name.
Or do you hear Rorence? ... it's exactly the same "ro/lo" sound.

Quote:
I'm focusing on the English and especially on what they'll say in the dub.

Well, they could pronounce it the same way as the Japanese. I've seen some english voice actors getting that pretty much right.

Quote:
And if you spell it Holo and pronounce it the same way, you don't get the same same of the word as you would in Japanese.

I don't really understand what you mean by that oO

Quote:
I guess the main concern is just really what they say, not how they spell it.

Sure, but in that case there are many different possibilities. Concerning the L/R just as much as the "O"s ... pronounce it like Hollow or like Horror? or try some more "japanese" o's etc. ^^;;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10