• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2006 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
I'd just like to point out this sickening attitude ANN editors have been practicing towards moe shows. Like it or not, the anime industry moved away from your typical 90's shounen series a long time ago and, believe it or not, the current anime industry tendencies are the result of the profit the former industry tendencies have brought in. The overwhelming presence of moe is a consequence of the former industry.
That said, whoever wrote the Kanon overview is just another editor from the long line of ANN whiners who can't accept today's industry tendencies. However, one would think ANN editors are 'hardcore' fans. But this line of thinking contradicts the actual state of opinions expressed on this site (too frequently, I might add). If the editors so passionately despise the current prevailing industry tendencies then I have to ask you: What are you doing here?

I guess the associations built around the word 'hardcore' need a better word these days.

"Whoever wrote the Kanon review" has previously given high moe-praise to the likes of Ichigo Mashimaro, Bottle Fairy, and Kamichu. "He" comes from a long line of "ANN whiners" who expect quality out of all genres and subgenres, and has similarly high standards for any work involving cute little girls doing cute little things.

One would think that ANN forum-goers who respond to reviews are "intelligent" fans. But their inability to differentiate between "difference of opinion" and "making personal accusations about the writers" contradicts the presumed mental state of members on this site. If these forum-goers so passionately despise the idea of high standards then I have to ask you: why don't you go back to whatever forum spontaneously masturbates to anything that comes out of Japan?
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
I think remaking a series that had already been adapted 3 or 4 years ago, regardless of quality, is just a waste of KyoAni. The fact that stuff regurgitates itself like this, along with how over a third of shows seem to be adaptations of dating sims, is one of the reasons this whole "moe" thing seems to be dragging the anime industry down in general. It's just perpetuating mediocrity to fanboys.

Meanwhile, the quality of popular manga adaptations has risen drastically over the past few years. I don't see why such a preference should be chastised.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:49 am Reply with quote
Uhhh, wasn't this whole "moe" the very thing that's generating millions of yen for the industry (I remember skimming through an article on it)? I seriously doubt they're going stop at what they're doing. Rolling Eyes

And considering the success KyoAni did with Air TV, it's a no brainer that Key wants them to remake Kanon (and not to mention most of KyoAni's staff are huge fans of Kanon). And I have a feeling their future projects will be adapting other of Key's series like the Clannad TV series and (my ultimate, huge wish) a Planetarian OVA or movie (this original visual novel is VERY short, but I heard it's extremely depressing).
Lyrai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I like the new Negima over the old one because it looks to not be rushing through the manga at a pace of one episode per book - my main conflict with the Kyoto Arc thing - and because it doesn't look like "Harem Anime - The Pedo version" this time around.
treatment

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
crilix wrote:
I'd just like to point out this sickening attitude ANN editors have been practicing towards moe shows. Like it or not, the anime industry moved away from your typical 90's shounen series a long time ago and, believe it or not, the current anime industry tendencies are the result of the profit the former industry tendencies have brought in. The overwhelming presence of moe is a consequence of the former industry.
That said, whoever wrote the Kanon overview is just another editor from the long line of ANN whiners who can't accept today's industry tendencies. However, one would think ANN editors are 'hardcore' fans. But this line of thinking contradicts the actual state of opinions expressed on this site (too frequently, I might add). If the editors so passionately despise the current prevailing industry tendencies then I have to ask you: What are you doing here?

I guess the associations built around the word 'hardcore' need a better word these days.

"Whoever wrote the Kanon review" has previously given high moe-praise to the likes of Ichigo Mashimaro, Bottle Fairy, and Kamichu. "He" comes from a long line of "ANN whiners" who expect quality out of all genres and subgenres, and has similarly high standards for any work involving cute little girls doing cute little things.

One would think that ANN forum-goers who respond to reviews are "intelligent" fans. But their inability to differentiate between "difference of opinion" and "making personal accusations about the writers" contradicts the presumed mental state of members on this site. If these forum-goers so passionately despise the idea of high standards then I have to ask you: why don't you go back to whatever forum spontaneously masturbates to anything that comes out of Japan?

Hmmm. So you like loli-anime over bishoujo-game adaptation anime ? That's fine, then. Razz

Btw, take heart coz there is a loli in Kanon-2k6 and she'd been fairly introduced already by ep3. There used to be two in the Kanon-2k2 version, but the other's been upgraded by KyoAni's character-designers. Cool

And the Kanon-story is more than just cute little girls doing cute little things and a nondescript young male having heartwarming encounters with mildly attractive girls .
redcomet15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
then I have to ask you: why don't you go back to whatever forum spontaneously masturbates to anything that comes out of Japan?

Just as a side note, I felt it worth mentioning that the latter of the two forums you referenced in your post is not the Japan-loving weeaboo breeding den you make it out to be; rather, the latter forum hates everything and everyone. Hates, hates, hates, hates, hates, hates, hates. An anime would have to be fairly impressive for it not to receive the general hate of that forum, and even then, there would still be those who hated it just for the sake of hate~

As for the former forum you referenced in your post, well, I wouldn't know anything about it since I've never been there before, but based on the opinions of the latter forum, your stance on the former rings true. Of course, it's not wise to listen to the opinions of the latter forum, as they hate everyone and everything.

Hahaha, I think you see where I am going with this.

In any case, as long as I'm here, I'll admit that I am immensely enjoying Kanon 2006 and Bartender. After viewing nothing but intense-action-and-horror driven anime for the past few seasons, the easy-going and relaxing paces of Kanon and Bartender are absolutely wonderful. With Kanon especially, I had no idea what to expect going into it (believe it or not I have not watched The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) but by the end of the first episode I was completely mesmerized by its quiet charm and elegance.
I for one am looking forward to the 2006 winter anime season.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Uhhh, wasn't this whole "moe" the very thing that's generating millions of yen for the industry (I remember skimming through an article on it)? I seriously doubt they're going stop at what they're doing. Rolling Eyes

I meant in terms of credibility, not profitability. Rather than let anime grow as a medium to reach new audiences, they're encouraging it to just alienate itself into a stigmatized subset of viewers who spend way too much money.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
First, I suspect he did recognize them, or at least realize that it was them even if he didn't recognize them based on their physical appearance.

Second, they just aged (or un-aged) about 10 years. That's a significant difference. It would make perfect since for him to not recognize them. If you're best friend suddenly became 10 years younger, you probably wouldn't recognize them either.

I don't think he did recognize them. At least from episode three he sure isn't acting like it. Seriously, he doesn't even recognize them after eating with and talking to them? He's got a lot to learn about who they are then.

Honestly, I think I would recognize a former lover and / or my brothers and sister if they changed drastically in age. I know them that well. You don't suddenly change the look in your eyes, or your speech and behavior, no matter the age. :)
crilix

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
How about that reviewer of yours tells us exactly why all of the industry and the scene are raving about KyoAni and Kanon? How come some Japanese otaku don't consider you as one of them if you didn't play the original Kanon (1999, Key)? And what's with all the masses anyway?
Putting in something like "banality of the content" in the end of the overview and not expecting a dire fan to respond to such crap is something to giggle about. I'm having a hard time believing your reviewer ever looked into the quality of the made 2006 adaptation. Instead, based from my positive experience of playing the game, I'd think he based his opinions solely on the Toei adaptation of the said title. Which is FYI not something to rave about, even though it was good for the era it was created in.
The KyoAni production is a whole different story though. KyoAni is promising us one of the most faithful eroge anime adaptations in their history, a promise which has already come true from what we can tell of the first four episodes. Good production values, story and music sticking closely to the game's puts this one in the very top of its genre. Now, don't you agree that labeling the very top of moe fanservice based romance shows with the words "banality of the content" would be sending out the wrong vibe to your readers? Surely your editors "who expect quality out of all genres and subgenres" aren't putting down this whole genre by putting down the very top of it?

And, no thanks. I stay away from those forums and hate japanophiles with a passion.
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
(my ultimate, huge wish) a Planetarian OVA or movie (this original visual novel is VERY short, but I heard it's extremely depressing).

Someone read my mind. I've played an English-patched *demo* and it was still really depressing, plus the artwork is amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
treatment wrote:

Btw, take heart coz there is a loli in Kanon-2k6 and she'd been fairly introduced already by ep3. There used to be two in the Kanon-2k2 version, but the other's been upgraded by KyoAni's character-designers. Cool

Who would this person be?

& btw, is your avatar Tamaki Kosaka from To Heart 2? Confused
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
How about that reviewer of yours tells us exactly why all of the industry and the scene are raving about KyoAni and Kanon? How come some Japanese otaku don't consider you as one of them if you didn't play the original Kanon (1999, Key)?

Since when have the ANN staff labelled themselves "otaku" or "hardcore fans" of anime? And even if they are, why must they enjoy a series that you enjoy? If I'm a "hardcore" soccer fan, do all other hardcore soccer fans have to like the same team(s) I do?

Quote:
I'd think he based his opinions solely on the Toei adaptation of the said title. Which is FYI not something to rave about, even though it was good for the era it was created in.

I seriously doubt it. I tend to think of the two as seperate series, as I'd imagine that KyoAni would have produced 2006 regardless of whether the original Toei version existed or not. KyoAni's "remake" of Kanon has more to do with their success with Air than them actually "remaking" the original series. Both the 2002 and 2006 version are derived from the same game, but besides that, there's barely anything in common with the two.

Quote:
Good production values, story and music sticking closely to the game's puts this one in the very top of its genre.

There's a very solid consensus on the series' high production values, but storyline is always a matter of personal preference. A review is essentially just another opinion, there's no reason it has to be kept objective and there is no obligation for a reviewer to write a favourable review just because "everyone likes the series".

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Kanon and I strongly disagree with the (p)review, but it's senseless to raise an outcry about it.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
crilix, something I think you're missing is that this is NOT a major review. It's a preview. He's basing his thoughts completely on the first episode. He's not saying that the series as a whole is bad, just that the first episode didn't really catch his interest.

ALSO--he's not reviewing how good of an adaption it is. He's reviewing how good of an anime it is. Being the "closest adaption ever" does NOT equal being "the best anime ever". So arguing about the quality of the adaption does nothing.

I was actually considering looking into this anime, too, but frankly, if watching this anime is going to lump me in with you, I'd rather not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
I checked out the first episode of Lovedol, hoping it would be a good ol' heap of brainless fun, and it was just plain terrible. But the show's biggest flaw isn't the contrived script, the unattractive cookie-cutter girls, the bland animation, the hideous outfits that look like they were slapped together by a first time cosplayer, the ugly eye designs, the boring male lead, the poor voice acting, or the characters over-reacting to the sillies things; it's the awful soundtrack. (And this is coming from someone who likes B-class J-pop singers like Morning Musume.) One of the most important parts of anime where music is a central theme is that the soundtrack has to be seriously kick-ass (see Gravitation), and Lovedol fails miserably in this department. I just saw this show less than ten minutes ago, and I can't recall a single song. (But I do remember the lyrics "Your desire points upward," because I'm a pervert. Razz )
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
The Kanon preview was JUST A PREVIEW. Maybe Carlo would have changed his mind had they seen more, maybe he wouldn't have. Either way, it is just HIS OPINION of the show. He has no obligation to comment on what other people think.

He didn't like it, other people (myself included) love it. That's fine. Get over it.

sunflower wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
First, I suspect he did recognize them, or at least realize that it was them even if he didn't recognize them based on their physical appearance.

Second, they just aged (or un-aged) about 10 years. That's a significant difference. It would make perfect since for him to not recognize them. If you're best friend suddenly became 10 years younger, you probably wouldn't recognize them either.

I don't think he did recognize them. At least from episode three he sure isn't acting like it. Seriously, he doesn't even recognize them after eating with and talking to them? He's got a lot to learn about who they are then.

Honestly, I think I would recognize a former lover and / or my brothers and sister if they changed drastically in age. I know them that well. You don't suddenly change the look in your eyes, or your speech and behavior, no matter the age. Smile

The first time he saw them, he didn't even hear them talking. But even then, voices change with age.

Anyhow, I made that comment before episode 3 was out and that episode proved me wrong.

And I think any more specific discussion of this series should stay in the thread created for this series in the Anime section.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12