• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Anime-Related Figures Thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
OK, I found Psycho 101's photos to be just about optimum for my display. Can you tell how tall those are?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
OK, it's 600 X 600 pixels.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Width wise I would have thought 800px should be ok.

What say you, Vaisaga?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Width I'd prefer 640 max (that's what I make my images for the Character guessing game, and that fills the post without stretching things quite nicely.

On the previous page at present your quoted image of that Rin figure and the photo of your shelf are the main offenders. It's even running into the ads. My monitor is 1600 x 900 so it's not tiny or anything.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
If you use Photobucket, there's a Thumbnail option where it scales down the display of the picture when you post the link here. It also opens a new tab for that picture when you click on it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Image Bam is what I prefer. That gives you some nice thumbnails.

Had uploaded pics of my entire collection there and posted it here, but alas it was lost in the great forum blackout. I should probably get around to posting them again.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
Are you aware, Vaisaga, that the reason your images run into the ads may not be the size of the images but the size you've set for posts? What text width have you set in account settings?

And, besides, you want me to reduce my images, so YOU can see ads? Really?

Edit: changed my pics on the previous page to 800px as I recommended in this thread. I'm not reducing them any further. Everyone knows this is an image heavy thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StatuesFigsMore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:48 am Reply with quote
My previous post was deleted for self promoting, so I am trying again.

I have been watching anime since the 90's and collecting figures for several years. I recently got a camera and decided I would make some videos of my figures and give some opinions as my way of contributing to the online collecting community.

This video link is to show better shots of the figures for collectors to enjoy and discuss. In this video I give my thoughts on the figure and the issues I found with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Kd-E7ErQs

Now ket me try these resized photos

Last edited by StatuesFigsMore on Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Are you aware, Vaisaga, that the reason your images run into the ads may not be the size of the images but the size you've set for posts? What text width have you set in account settings?

And, besides, you want me to reduce my images, so YOU can see ads? Really?

I have text at the "natural setting." But it stretches to fit the images anyways. Even if I had it at double it'd still stretch my screen.

And no, the ads were actually overtop of your images. I just think that if you post an image that requires me to scroll sideways to see it, it's too big.

That way you have it now is probably the limit. While my sidebar is being half covered by the ad skin, at least I don't need to scroll sideways.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:33 am Reply with quote
My screen is only a little larger - 1920 x 1080. I've set my text width to 175 characters. You could easily increase your text width to more than 100 characters.

Anyway, we're going off-topic. I think 800 px image width is a reasonable compromise.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
Some pics on this thread are too big to fit on my screen (like some pics on page 98 and 97 are too high, monitor is 1440x900) so I've always considered this thread to be unpleasent. Why not post links to those pics instead? Those massive pics just take too much space in my opinion. But I'm not all that interested in figures so it isn't that big of a deal. It would be nice not to have zoom out or scroll sideways or anything whenever I do wander into this thread though.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:28 am Reply with quote
I've never had a photo on any forum exceed the width of the message area here. Some have gone all the way to the edges though. I was under the impression that the software reduced the images that were too wide. It must be a setting that I can't find at the moment.

I wonder what I'm doing right?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:58 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

I wonder what I'm doing right?

What, indeed? (please note the scroll bar at the bottom of the image -- it's not easy to spot)

Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
I suspect it's how my browser (Firefox]) behaves, but I'm the same as Alan45. If the image is larger than the available post width then it is automatically scaled down. I don't ever get a scroll bar. (Then again, nobahn is using Firefox in his example. Confused )

That aside, the issue people are having isn't a technical limitation. It's a personal preference. In our account settings we can set the maximum post width. The default setting is 100 characters. A character is 6.4 pixels wide. That means, at the default setting, the largest image that won't be either scaled down or appear with a scroll bar (depending on your system) is 640 pixels wide.

If you are using the default character limit and your screen is 1600x900 (Vaisaga) you are devoting only 40% of your available screen width for posts. If it's 1440x900 (Cam0) you are devoting only 44% of your available screen width.

After editing, the image of my current collection is 800x343. (It was 1200x515.) That requires a text width of 125 characters. That is still only using 50% of the available width of a 1600x900 screen or 55.5% of a 1440x900 screen. All you need to do is go into your account settings and change the text width to 125.

I'm interested to know what impact does changing your text width to 125 have on the other things you like to have displayed on the ANN page?

Last edited by Errinundra on Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
I went back to page 98 where there are a lot of photos that take the full width of the "message" area. I didn't get a scroll bar on any of them. I have seen the bottom scroll bar. A couple of times in the past year the forum got a bit odd and text went far enough to the left that the scroll bar showed up. I've never had that problem with photos though.

I finally found where I set the text width. If you click your user name on the top right of the page it is under "Account Settings". It is amazing where they hide these settings.

For the record my screen resolution is 1920 X 1080. I'm using IE for a browser. My text with is set to 150. Also I position the sidebar at the bottom of the page if that makes a difference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 100 of 111