• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viki Streams Black Jack 21, Oniisama E..., Master of Epic, Waimo-kun

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Thanks for the info. Italy isn't even in the list,t hough. Sad

No, it doesn't look like there are any Italian series on the site ~ even if there were, they'd probably be region blocked in Italy, just like the anime is region blocked in Japan. In other words, just like I don't see "United States", you wouldn't see "Italy" even if they had, say, Inspector Montelbano.

To find anime, you are not looking for "Italy", you are looking for "Japan", the country that the anime comes from.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Sariachan wrote:
Thanks for the info. Italy isn't even in the list,t hough. Sad

No, it doesn't look like there are any Italian series on the site ~ even if there were, they'd probably be region blocked in Italy, just like the anime is region blocked in Japan. In other words, just like I don't see "United States", you wouldn't see "Italy" even if they had, say, Inspector Montelbano.

To find anime, you are not looking for "Italy", you are looking for "Japan", the country that the anime comes from.

"Montelbano!? It's Montalbano! Anime hyper

Anyway I understand now, thank you for the further explanation. ^^
It appears that I can see 10 Japanese shows from here in Italy. I didn't try them yet, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

Now its not, its Montalbano ~ I may be a lazy typist, but I have seen enough of the show to be 100% sure that the accent is on the third syllable.

Quote:
It appears that I can see 10 Japanese shows from here in Italy. I didn't try them yet, though.

OK, so you see all the one's mentioned in the article ~ North America does not have Crystal Blaze (aka Glass Maiden) through Viki.com because Sentai has licensed it.

Indeed, if you wanted to, you could watch an episode that has the English subtitles finished, and then contribute Italian subtitles to the episode.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

Now its not, its Montalbano ~ I may be a lazy typist, but I have seen enough of the show to be 100% sure that the accent is on the third syllable.

Quote:

OK, so you see all the one's mentioned in the article ~ North America does not have Crystal Blaze (aka Glass Maiden) through Viki.com because Sentai has licensed it.

Indeed, if you wanted to, you could watch an episode that has the English subtitles finished, and then contribute Italian subtitles to the episode.

I wasn't talking about any accent, I just wanted to make you notice that you wrote a "e" instead than a "a" in his name. Wink

I don't think it's a wise idea to translate subtitles to English to Italian, when the source language is Japanese... And I don't have time to do that, sorry. ^^'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
I don't think it's a wise idea to translate subtitles to English to Italian, when the source language is Japanese...

Do you think that a popular Korean historical drama gets 22 languages subtitled by everyone speaking Korean. Its crowdsource ... if someone gets the ball rolling, it can attract viewers and then others can improve on it.

Quote:
And I don't have time to do that, sorry. ^^'

OTOH, if you don't have time to do it, you don't have time ~ its not like there is some kind of moral imperative to contribute fansubs at the site!
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Sariachan wrote:
I don't think it's a wise idea to translate subtitles to English to Italian, when the source language is Japanese...

Do you think that a popular Korean historical drama gets 22 languages subtitled by everyone speaking Korean. Its crowdsource ... if someone gets the ball rolling, it can attract viewers and then others can improve on it.

Quote:
And I don't have time to do that, sorry. ^^'

OTOH, if you don't have time to do it, you don't have time ~ its not like there is some kind of moral imperative to contribute fansubs at the site!

I think English is enough a common language to be enough, it isn't really needed to translate in any language... ^^'

And about the time, I made scanlations in the past, so I already gave my contribution in the scanlation&fansub community, even if not much. Wink
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
I think English is enough a common language to be enough, it isn't really needed to translate in any language... ^^'

A majority of the world's population doesn't speak English, so when I see a series at Viki.com in Spanish and French and Italian and German and Tagalog and Malay and Turkish and Chinese and ... etcetera and etcetera, ... it makes me happy that so many people get to watch properly licensed, ad-funded content, and makes me jealous that so much of it is kdramas and so little of it is anime.

One point about existing fansubs is that people who have actually done the fansubs can contribute their own work to the site, as long as they are willing for it to be released under a Creative Commons copyright.

Obviously the fansubbers have rights to their own work, so nobody can properly use the fansub done by someone else unless the original fansubber gives permission, either in the original release or to the person who wants to contribute it to Viki.com
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

One point about existing fansubs is that people who have actually done the fansubs can contribute their own work to the site, as long as they are willing for it to be released under a Creative Commons copyright.

I just finished putting the subs up for Master of Epic episode 1 on behalf of the group that subbed it. Feels nice to do things legally and not have all the hard work go to waste Smile Just gotta do the rest of it now
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
glitteringloke wrote:
agila61 wrote:

I just finished putting the subs up for Master of Epic episode 1 on behalf of the group that subbed it. Feels nice to do things legally and not have all the hard work go to waste Smile Just gotta do the rest of it now

Well, good onya!

Its important to remember that fansub groups have rights too ~ as a derivative work, they don't have the right to distribute without an OK from the creator of the original work, but in turn nobody else has a right to distribute their work without their OK.

The way that Viki.com slices through the legal knot is that while they only stream audio-video content from the original producer, they accept subtitle submissions through their subtitle editor, and under their T&C, members using the video editor are releasing the work under a Creative Commons license.

The Creative Commons license they use allows the original works owner to make use of the submission if they wish.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2