• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Devil May Cry DVD 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
I've never played the actual games but I did enjoy this series Razz, I understand what it's supposed to be and the lack of a good "plot" but at least it was entertaining.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
The problem with the show is that it's damned from the start because DMC, the game series, has a plot that truly doesn't matter. It's window dressing for all the gunplay and swordfighting and MASSIVE BOSSES YO. Did ANYONE except a deep, character-driven saga with amazing writing here?
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the first couple of episodes, it wasn't terrible but it was mediocre.

Because I'm jaded now, all I've got to say is... "and ADV gave THIS a dub, and now they are going to keep one from Clannad?" Niche or not, Clannad is immensely better than this show. This is exactly the kind of second or third tier show I'm talking about in references to sales. I can't imagine this will sell as much as "niche" Clannad.

Maybe this didn't make back the cost of dubbing either. I don't know for sure one way or another. It might be that more of this mediocre stuff gets only a subtitle in the future, and really that would be fine by me. I would have likely not purchased it had that been the case and I wouldn't be missing out on too much.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, actually I heard Devil May Cry (at least for the first DVD volume) was ADV biggest seller according to icv2 (having the voice actor to repraise Dante also helps). It's just so unfortunate for ADV considering that could have been their biggest series for quite some time if it weren't for the Sojitz incident.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Did ANYONE except a deep, character-driven saga with amazing writing here?

what I expected was an entertaining action/gore series with cool fight scenes and a lot of snarky one-liners. I was not expecting (or wanting) stupid-demon-ideas (that biker-demon? Come on! Rolling Eyes ), an annoying and pointless little kid character, and action scenes that are topped only by Ikki Tousen and Alien vs Predator in their bland and boring awfulness. I actually don't see how a fan of the games could enjoy this rubbish(speaking as one of them), it really is like the Alien vs Predator of anime; based on an icon of a medium, but done so god awful that its a wonder how anyone could be entertained by it. I never watched past the 1st DVD and don't plan to, the games (minus DMC2) are the way to go. Personally, I would have been much more harsh in the grading area than Carl was.

/rant
Alucalb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
In the games they can take and dish out a massive beating, and yet in the series they take a couple of hits and are done.

Meh, it's the same in the games' cutscenes too. Remember the opening cutscene for DMC3?

Game Dante kills demons with stuff like billiard balls and floor-surfs with their corpses, which is fun to watch. Anime Dante just shoots them a couple of times and stabs them, which is not so fun.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
ADV's no stranger to using anime adaptations to cash in on popular video games; remember this and this?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Different thread. My bad.
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Because I'm jaded now, all I've got to say is... "and ADV gave THIS a dub, and now they are going to keep one from Clannad?" Niche or not, Clannad is immensely better than this show. This is exactly the kind of second or third tier show I'm talking about in references to sales. I can't imagine this will sell as much as "niche" Clannad.

It's complex. See, the choice about whether or not to make a dub isn't based on "how many people want to see the show dubbed", certainly not "how many people want to see the show at all", but "how many people will buy it if it's dubbed but refuse to buy it subbed".

If the audience for show A is five thousand units and of those fifty percent want a dub and ten percent won't watch it subbed, then adding a dub will only get you five hundred extra sales and it just ain't worth it. If, OTOH, the audience for show B is three thousand units, but of those, twenty percent won't watch it subbed, then the dub will move six hundred extra units and it starts to look a bit better. And if show C will only move fifteen hundred units, but two-thirds of those people are dub-only, the dub will get you a thousand extra sales, and...

[to a certain extent you could say that, all else being equal, the better a show is the less attractive it is to dub it...]
Uthred

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
I would be stunned if Clannad sold more than DMC. As mentioned Clannad is a niche IP on the internet, where supposed popularity is often wildly overestimated, as opposed to DMC which is a (literally) multi-million selling franchise. So which of the two do you think is likely to sell to the casual anime fan? I'd also be willing to bet that in terms of genre (mindless) action is a lot more popular than (purple) romance.
amazingwind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
i am sorry and i know there are a lot of Clannad fans that want a dub, but a lot of the people whining are some of the most uninformed people making up facts that are so blatantly wrong that is laughable

Clannad is not even in the same league of selling like DMC you can not compare Clannad to Devil May Cry

Devil May Cry beat Bleach in the hot properties of spring, summer and fall 2008
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13991.html
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13212.html

it was also the number 1 selling dvd in the first quarter of last year

that alone pays for the dub

you also forget Devil May Cry was finished during last spring that was when ADV had a partner with Sojitz and more money

how many times are people going to ignore that the anime industry is in the toilet in the last 2 months when funimation and bandai are laying off people and when rob from RACS posts on this forum how bad business has been and best buy is removing anime from shelves

i am praying for a miracle that there is a dub too but i am getting sick of the dub fans making things up and being so ignorant. wake up and stop dreaming in a dreamworld that clannad is going to sell millions because it has a dub, it wont. most Clannad fans watch it sub
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2