• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Biglobe Poll: Summer Anime With Highest Interest Level [2012-06-22]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I remember hearing that the 1st season was only the introductory chapters of the novel, so it makes sense people didn't like them. For people who already read the series and liked it probably enjoyed seeing those parts animated. Now that they are past the introductions it should get better for non fans.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Dunno about making sense to only the LN readers, as it makes sense to me and I haven't read the LN. What I did say was that it's popularity is understandable if you factor in that it is part of a larger, successful franchise and not just an anime.

Terrible pacing? Try me again when we've both read the novels. I don't make it a habit to speculate on hearsay.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, taking a comparison between two light novels (not sure what the one on the far right is) but the left is the Index light novels and the middle is Horizon.

Not sure on pacing, but the author definitely seems to be heavy with detail as that's the only way he could get such an absurd page count for some of the volumes (unless the font used is like twice as big as Index's)
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I'll try to read a synopsis or something. I don't know, honestly I probably have enough I'm interested in. The show just seemed to jump around a whole lot to where I couldn't follow who was doing what and why or what the background was well enough to understand the setting or the plot.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
The synopsis is Jun Fukuyama uses his awesomeface voice and girls have anti-grav boobs. It seems to be played entirely serious that they're spherical and float. Oh, and some thing about reclaiming some lost technology or status by replaying history, but that's of little concern. As far as I can tell, people who have read the novels say that this season doesn't cannot even get to the fun stuff where spoiler[Neitomama] shows up, so we'll have to wait for season three. I hope this sells well enough to guarantee that fate, it's a downright enjoyable series, even with your brain on. The first three episodes just need a good old college try to slug through, and then it opens up, like spelunking.

I can see it being a hard sell, though.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved Horizon, but I think it helps that I have a healthy understanding of the 16th-17th century history they are reenacting.

There's a lot of very heavy, important dialog in Horizon, but if you just see it as techno-babble and let it roll by you, I can see how it could strike you as just some goofy trope anime. Horizon is a very clever story, but you've got to digest every syllable of dialog carefully, or you'll be utterly lost.....

...unless it comes from Tori-kun, because he's just a spaz.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Big season for sequels it seems. Not a lot I'm looking forward to eagerly, just Sword Arts Online, Dog Days', and Lagrange 2. I'm sure I'll have no trouble finding other things to watch.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Perhaps I'll try to read a synopsis or something.

It annoys me that I'm a bit of a Horizon advocate because it feels like I'm forcing people to enjoy it.

The most basic synopsis is that the MC, Tori, wants to save his waifu. He goes through various means to get her and her emotions which are sealed in weapons.

The infodump in the first episode is a backstory of the Horizonverse. Humans once reached a higher plane but they lost it. They now follow the "Testament" which is a reenactment of past history.

I believe the ANN Horizon thread has some detailed posts about the show itself but it has been a while since I last read it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
From my blog:

1) Sword Art Online
2) Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere 2
3) Rinne no Lagrange 2
4) Aruvu Rezuru: Kikai Jikake no Yousei-tachi
5) Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!
6) Dakura Boku wa H ga Dekinai
7) La Storia della Arcana Famigila
8) Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
9) Tari Tari
10) Hagure Yuusha no Estetica

Not sure on rest and Aruvu Rezuru: Kikai Jikake no Yousei-tachi is likely to be an OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2