• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A veiw of American fans from Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Innotech

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:27 am Reply with quote
you know anime is beginnig to break into the mainstream when it shows up at Wal Mart and Target. Its definitely on the rise, but it is still a niche product.
OTP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:42 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Actually, going more mainstream can be a very bad thing. Just compare hip hop from 1993 with the mainstream hip hop from 2003. Its been almost completely bastardized into substanceless glop. The good news is that anime/manga is licensed from Japan, so its harder for greedy US corporations to contaminate it. So it going more mainstream will probably only reap more benefits for fans.

I couldn't possibly agree more. Going mainstream is great and all, but overexposure can always ruin a good thing.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:17 pm Reply with quote
OTP wrote:
I couldn't possibly agree more. Going mainstream is great and all, but overexposure can always ruin a good thing.

If we're going to use a hip hop analogy, then keep in mind that anime, being a Japanese product, is mainstream in Japan. Over there they've already been dealing with a steaming pile of crap anime for quite some time now. We're just fortunate enough to have companies willing to wade through it in search of the best (or atleast, watchable) titles. If anime was to finally become a mainstream hit in every home in America, anime wouldn't become worse, we'd just see more of the worst.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tomcat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:59 pm Reply with quote
The last posting is totally on point we in the USA are only seeing the best of the best from the Japanese, lord know how bad the day-to-day carp is in Japan. and if any of use would be able to wade through it everyday.
seiramas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:57 am Reply with quote
I know anime production company try to break into mainstrean because they think it's the most important to sell a lot. Of course, they think to be consistent with both sales and quality. But they think it's high risk that they try to sell the anime which end in failure in Japan. Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Can't be that "niche" if he's running 24/7 to keep up and bank 150megabucks into his account. I'd love to have something that "niche". The only way for it is up. Wink
hakootoko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:26 pm Reply with quote
The reason I don't want anime to become mainstream is reflected in the following quote from the article:

"Shoji Udagawa, vice president at Kadokawa Pictures Inc., a major Japanese film studio, enjoys working with Ledford because he understands anime and can help create works that will appeal to Americans as well as to Japanese. Americans tend to like anime with darker themes, including those with robots, he said."

As anime becomes bigger in the US, anime will be produced more and more with the US audience in mind, and will become less Japanese.

But then, my bias is clear. If it hadn't been for my interest in Japanese and Japanese culture, I would have become bored with anime years ago.

hakootoko
tomcat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Hey cool someone noticed this story when it posted on the A.P. this week, and now it's been posted on AAN's home page welcome!

Man do I dread the idea that anime will be more and more Cartoon Networkized....ie more, and more really bad e-dubbing by worse and worse english voice-actors, even my favorite channel, the internation-channel is now showing nearly all of it's anime in e-dub and you havn't lived to see bad untill you've watched eather Lost Universe, or Licensed by Royalty the both having the worse voice-actors and casting ever!!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Can't be that "niche" if he's running 24/7 to keep up and bank 150megabucks into his account. I'd love to have something that "niche". The only way for it is up. :wink:

It's not that difficult for a company oriented largely towards a niche fanbase to make that much when a few hundred thousand members of that core audience are fairly big spenders.

Anyay, I don't think it's $150 million just in bilingual, purist-grade DVDs. ADV handles some relatively more mainstream non-anime shows like Andromeda and Farscape, and various Asian films.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fxg97873

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:18 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Actually, going more mainstream can be a very bad thing. Just compare hip hop from 1993 with the mainstream hip hop from 2003. Its been almost completely bastardized into substanceless glop. The good news is that anime/manga is licensed from Japan, so its harder for greedy US corporations to contaminate it. So it going more mainstream will probably only reap more benefits for fans.

Well, as Matt Greenfield has stated at Cons and as Ledford has stated in this interview ( http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/features/2933129 ), American companies are already "contaminating" the Japanese Anime Market.
For example, ADV has been co-producing from the get go a total of 15 to 20 anime titles with the Japanese in the last three years.
Apart from ADV requesting U.S. licensing dibs on these titles, it is very possible that they could be asking for shows that target the subtleties of the "American Audience". An example would be KaleidoStar which ADV co-produced (you won't see them in the credits though). It so happens that show takes place in the U.S.

Now, I am not saying that is not how the story was originally conceived, but if U.S. companies start choosing the shows they pour money into based on stuff like that, then it is possible Japanese companies will start making "American friendly" projects with the hope of attracting American investors.

Also, the goverment is really a race of aliens slowly cultivating us for energy so as to partake in mass consumption in the year 2010.

Seriously, the above scenario on American companies and the Japanese market may just be a bunch of paranoia...but the alien stuff I am dead serious on.

mk2000...Wink
thebaron

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Well in a way, anime has become an alternative to Disney's very limited offering and other few companies making generally more kiddie cartoons. Anime has become very predictable in a lot of cases as the companies uncommonly allow long shots from getting to market.

The US market has not failed in offering animation with adults in mind with shows like The Tick, Dr. Venture, The Simpsons, Futurerama, Invader Zim, and Aqua Team Hunger Force. They are the exception and not the rule.

Been watching cartoons, since I was young and became an anime fan back in the mid to late 80's. I have seen a lot of good stuff and some crap that should be burned to the original negative....
deathbringer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:54 pm Reply with quote
tomcat wrote:
The last posting is totally on point we in the USA are only seeing the best of the best from the Japanese, lord know how bad the day-to-day carp is in Japan. and if any of use would be able to wade through it everyday.

...that's a joke, right? We get the best? Is that why we get shows like Ikkitousen, Divergence EVE, Mouse, and countless crap hentai titles, while titles like Ashiteruze Baby, Melody of Oblivion and Konomini remain unlicensed?
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:25 am Reply with quote
tomcat wrote:
Man do I dread the idea that anime will be more and more Cartoon Networkized....ie more, and more really bad e-dubbing by worse and worse english voice-actors, even my favorite channel, the internation-channel is now showing nearly all of it's anime in e-dub and you havn't lived to see bad untill you've watched eather Lost Universe, or Licensed by Royalty the both having the worse voice-actors and casting ever!!

If you don't like English dubs, then don't watch them (assuming you are buying or renting your anime). In reality many dubs of recent years have been quite good, take Fruits Basket or Berserk for examples, but even if they were aweful it makes no difference on the original quality of the work being made in Japan. Wink
Gauss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:51 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Actually, going more mainstream can be a very bad thing. Just compare hip hop from 1993 with the mainstream hip hop from 2003. The good news is that anime/manga is licensed from Japan, so its harder for greedy US corporations to contaminate it.

I think the comparison is a bit off. Anime is pretty much mainstream in Japan, where almost all of it is produced. Does that mean Anime is way worse now than back in its infancy? If you are referring to dubbing and subtitling I would dare claim the work on new releases on DVD are generally better than on old shows (can't comment on US TV dubs since I'm European). Cutting scenes and making other major changes is also mercifully rare (who can forget Robotech, the grand-daddy of imported shows with major changes done to it).

Oh yeah, 1983 was a much better year for Hip Hop than 1993. Nah, just messing with you now... Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:51 am Reply with quote
hakootoko wrote:
The reason I don't want anime to become mainstream is reflected in the following quote from the article:

"Shoji Udagawa, vice president at Kadokawa Pictures Inc., a major Japanese film studio, enjoys working with Ledford because he understands anime and can help create works that will appeal to Americans as well as to Japanese. Americans tend to like anime with darker themes, including those with robots, he said."

As anime becomes bigger in the US, anime will be produced more and more with the US audience in mind, and will become less Japanese.

But then, my bias is clear. If it hadn't been for my interest in Japanese and Japanese culture, I would have become bored with anime years ago.

hakootoko
Well seeing as all things American has been "contaminating" Japaneses culture since the end of WW2, I can't see where anime has assimilated that much to worry. If anything it subtly appears to be happening the other way round if Teen Titans, Totally Spies, And Martin Mystery are anything to go by.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3