• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - All I Want For Christmas

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Masion Ikkoku belongs on the "Buy it" list. It's without a doubt one of the greatest romance animes of all time (and you will be hard pressed to find a better romance manga). To see it on the "Rent it" list is just a shame.
That's just my opinion.

Although I have my own take on the series as well, Bamboo is entitled to her opinion. Personally I think that box set 4 is better than a lot of the first parts of the series. I also think the series stars slowing down after this and takes awhile to pick up steam again. So what if it goes in the "Rental Shelf" section? It isn't going to stop me from buying it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Masion Ikkoku belongs on the "Buy it" list. It's without a doubt one of the greatest romance animes of all time (and you will be hard pressed to find a better romance manga). To see it on the "Rent it" list is just a shame.
That's just my opinion.

I agree that the manga is a classic, but I feel that the anime lost some of the manga's greatness, especially since they made it too long (right when the manga starts to drag it quickly develops and goes into its conclusion). I'd rather read it than watch the anime personally.
wil2197

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:34 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
biliano wrote:
I saw Gundam F91 at the Anime Weekend in Lakewood, and I thought is was an OK movie. The begining of the movie, I felt, was rushed to the point that I nearly fell asleep; however, I agree that the movie did get interesting around the middle, and near the end of the movie displayed some of the best Gundam fight scenes I've seen in my brief association with the franchise.

The real tragedy of it is that Gundam F91 was original slated to be a rather promising 52-episode TV series, with the events in the movie being an extremely condensed rendition of the first thirteen episodes or so. The rest of the story was then retold in a few manga series...Crossbone, and I think maybe some of the F90/Silhouette Formula editions.

Does anyone know why this happened?

At the AXNY convention a couple of years ago, Tomino mentioned that the movie was suppose to act as a pilot for the T.V. series. It didn't work out the way he wanted it to...unfortunately. F-91 had a lot of promise and would've been a great T.V. series. Unfortunately, it was turned into a decent movie.

I kinda like the ending (just not enough impact in the end since the movie was rushed). Those who don't think Tomino's endings aren't suppose to be happy should check out Turn A Gundam any way possible. Probably a masterpiece in the Gundam universe.
biliano*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:24 am Reply with quote
wil2197 wrote:
At the AXNY convention a couple of years ago, Tomino mentioned that the movie was suppose to act as a pilot for the T.V. series. It didn't work out the way he wanted it to...unfortunately. F-91 had a lot of promise and would've been a great T.V. series. Unfortunately, it was turned into a decent movie.

I kinda like the ending (just not enough impact in the end since the movie was rushed). Those who don't think Tomino's endings aren't suppose to be happy should check out Turn A Gundam any way possible. Probably a masterpiece in the Gundam universe.

That makes more sense for it to be a pilot. I understand Tomino-san's disappointment. F91 would have made a good series. I don't know if it would have been better than Gundam SEED, but that's in the past now Sad
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I've read all the Maison Ikkoku manga, and watched four or five of the season one videotapes back in those pre-DVD days. I enjoyed a few of them, but a lot of them did seem really padded. The creators obviously had trouble figuring out how to stretch 16-page stories into half-hour episodes, so they did stuff like have the side characters stand around doing gratuitous Greek-chorus commentary on the central relationship.
Those of you who like Ikkoku might wanna check out Love and Rockets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2