• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paper: DiCaprio Considers SMAP for Ninja Scroll Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"I know there a lot of loyal fans out there of the project and die-hard fans, so we're going to try to do the best job we possibly can and we're not going to make the movie until the script is in the right shape."

I have one word to say in response to this:

Travis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
revilenigma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
Lets hope he does the same for Akira.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"I know there a lot of loyal fans out there of the project and die-hard fans, so we're going to try to do the best job we possibly can and we're not going to make the movie until the script is in the right shape."

Famous last words... Mr. Green
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
Then why can't he cast real Japanese actors and not idols?
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Those two words are pretty synonymous these days.
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Because if the movie is to be marketed in Japan, the audience would probably want to see their idols on big screen - North American audience wouldn't care as they don't know a single Japanese entertainer. Off topic but one of the reasons why most of their dramas are horrible - a lot of idol dramas acted by idols who can pull off some mediocre acting skills at best.

If only DiCaprio had considered Japanese actors who can act that would be great. The only SMAP member who imo can act is Kusanagi (problem is people don't think he's a good looking guy). Kimura Takuya acts exactly the same in every role in every drama that he's been casted in.

Quote:

In all seriousness though, did anyone actually expect the movie about Ninjas to have a lot of Caucasian people in it (I suppose that anything is possible in Hollywood but that would have been a stretch even by their standards)?

They could - it is totally in the realm of possibility. I mean hollywood used to have Caucasian actors playing black roles by painting "black faces" and the same thing when they play Chinese characters through makeup and squinting their eyes and talking with a bad accent. Even now on broadway and other live stage performances, they usually have Caucasian actors playing Asian roles.
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
In all seriousness though, did anyone actually expect the movie about Ninjas to have a lot of Caucasian people in it (I suppose that anything is possible in Hollywood but that would have been a stretch even by their standards)?

Um... yes. I think a majority of people expected them to use Caucasians. Frankly, I'm pleasantly shocked that Leo seems to get the concept of casting ethnically appropriate actors.

Not only would it not be a stretch for Hollywood to do so, it would be the norm. To add the the growing list of examples: DOA: Dead or Alive (which is eye-gougingly terrible for many other reasons as well) and the Charlie Chan movies from the 30s and 40s.
Mai Valentine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
You know these anime adaptations are gonna be good if Leonardo Dicaprio's a part of it. This guy does nothing but high-quality work! Long story short, Akira and Ninja Scroll probably will NOT turn out like the horrid DBZ movie . . .
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
This is looking promising so far, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. Leo has come a long way in trying to shed the child-actor/pretty boy title. It seems like it was just the other day I was refuses to see Gangs of New York based on his being in it. Eventually I did see it and I was just blown away with his performance, and since I haven't missed a movie of his, and have yet to be disappointed. I don't have much of an opinion for things he has produced however, since most of it is still in production.

I am no really curios about that Diary of Anne Frank anime Kusanagi was in. Never heard about it before, and my interest is seriously perked. And Madhouse animated it? History buff in me NEEDS to get her hands on this to see.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
To all the people who think this would be obvious, have you heard of a film called Dragon Ball Evolution? Dead or Alive? Or even that "real life" college-student gambling film from last year that was supposed to be about an asian male, but was suddenly about a white dude? Hollywood does not really like asian leads, its the truth. Jackie Chan is like the only notable exception.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
In all seriousness though, did anyone actually expect the movie about Ninjas to have a lot of Caucasian people in it?

I think the problem isnt casting caucasian people so much as using chinese or korean people cause 'they all look the same anyway'. That does happen like alot.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Proman wrote:

Well, Hollywood has done this kinda thing before:

You forgot Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's. *shudders*

Hon'ya-chan wrote:
So are they gonna keep the gory scenes and the spoiler[rape of Kagero?] Or are they just gonna pussyfoot around the material?

I think you pretty much have to keep the gore...half of the appeal of the material is the hyperviolence. As to the other, well, that scene was uncomfortable enough to watch when it was animated...I think having a real actress would cross over a line. I think you can easily create a very powerful scene that gets the same thing across without being anywhere near that explicit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
David.Seth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

what the... that's... i cant believe... that was horrible! Never seen Breakfast at Tiffanys, and I don't plan on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Hollywood does not really like asian leads, its the truth. Jackie Chan is like the only notable exception.

Unfortunately, Jackie isn't the exception. He always have a western sidekick because Hollywood thinks that Jackie can't sell a movie in America by himself. I'll never forgive Hollywood for ruining Jackie Chan and Jet Li's first film together with an annoying white lead in The Forbidden Kingdom.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

Hon'ya-chan wrote:
So are they gonna keep the gory scenes and the spoiler[rape of Kagero?] Or are they just gonna pussyfoot around the material?

I think you pretty much have to keep the gore...half of the appeal of the material is the hyperviolence. As to the other, well, that scene was uncomfortable enough to watch when it was animated...I think having a real actress would cross over a line. I think you can easily create a very powerful scene that gets the same thing across without being anywhere near that explicit.

So, Shibari and Interrogation?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4