• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Debuts on Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
clicq wrote:
I think funimation isn't offering HD downloads because, well, a lot of people wouldn't buy the DVDs whenever they do come out if they already had a high quality version on their hard drives (not saying everybody is like this but a lot of people are)

What are you talking about?! The DVD sales for the first series were fantastic! So good that Funimation has kept on re-releasing it...

Anyway I already saw the raw and I loved the episode! And now I'm on my way to watch it again using Funimation's website! The first episode was amazzing!!! spoiler[It didn't waste anytime at all... ] (I don't want to spoil the rest!) Anyway! I do hope that Funi will air this on Adult Swim again... I mean that would be amazing if that happened! My guess if they do air it... it'll probably air later on this year, or next year? who knows? My guess (I know this will happen) They well deff dub it... I know Vic will want to work on FMA again! I've heard that he loved the story so much, my guess is that Vic will be back to play Ed.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
So is Funimation always going to be streaming it on Thursday? Also does having the DVD rights for a series equal Blu-ray rights? This series would look great in 1080p.

Edit:It's up

2nd Edit: Oh god. They changed Ice Alchemist to Freezing Alchemist. Ugh...
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Actually, CR was about 90% legal in the past too - which is why they have so many exclusives right now. Everyone just thought they were not legal.
Incorrect. Before the purge, there was so little legal content on there that the legal content made up a fraction of a percent of what they had.

Jarmel wrote:
2nd Edit: Oh god. They changed Ice Alchemist to Freezing Alchemist. Ugh...
Ice was just a fan made name before people knew he was "Hyouketsu no Renkinjutsushi" which is "Freezing alchemist".
Omifizzle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
im planning on watching fansubs and funimation subs so i can compare the two together. I am also going to wait for the american time to come out. i would feel cheated if i clicked on the new zealand one... 36 minutes left
Jih2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
clicq wrote:
I think funimation isn't offering HD downloads because, well, a lot of people wouldn't buy the DVDs whenever they do come out if they already had a high quality version on their hard drives (not saying everybody is like this but a lot of people are)

What are you talking about?! The DVD sales for the first series were fantastic! So good that Funimation has kept on re-releasing it...

He's talking about the second season. He thinks the reason there are no HD downloads for the second season available is because then no one would want to buy an inferior DVD when they already have a legal HD file on their hard drive.

Glad to see this happening, I'll be interested in doing a comparison between this translation and the fansub I have.
boznia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Omifizzle wrote:
im planning on watching fansubs and funimation subs so i can compare the two together. I am also going to wait for the american time to come out. i would feel cheated if i clicked on the new zealand one... 36 minutes left
You're off by an hour, it's already up. I just watched it. Laughing

It was great.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching it. Great quality as all the shows on Funi's video service has, and the show itself was excellently done. I can definitely see it's going to be a lot darker than the first series (due note, I haven't read the manga yet, so watching this and knowing it's close to the manga there is going to be surprises for me).

I love the ending animation too. That was just so cute. ^^
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Ice was just a fan made name before people knew he was "Hyouketsu no Renkinjutsushi" which is "Freezing alchemist".

However Ice sounds much better.
theBlockerPH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
good thing that ANIMAX and ANIPLEX are (technically) being owned by the same company, and I also think they have the option to broadcast it EVEN BEFORE JAPAN but... that's a little bit to cocky.

Laughing

anyways, i agree about using the GMT timezone instead of the Local times...

some people may have mis-interpreted ANIMAX in the Philippines (GMT+8) to South Asia (GMT+5.30)

and even though most countries in Southeast Asia are using the GMT+8 timezone, there's still WIB (Indonesia) and Thailand which uses GMT+7...
Dante80

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Glad to see this happening, I'll be interested in doing a comparison between this translation and the fansub I have.

Go for *no mentioning fansub group names in a "download this" context* Both are top notch, it depends on whether you have the hardware to playback them smoothly...^^
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
I've already watched ep 1 but I'll watch it again Very Happy
Omifizzle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
crap its already up? can someone link me Surprised
angieness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
I saw the fansubs but I'm rewatching it on Funi's site, will do the same for every episode to support the company. They'll see even more of my support if they do what they did with the first series and make nice LE metal tins for every 5-6 DVDs.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
clicq wrote:
And I assume the funimation stream is going to be limited to the US only as well... I think it's more because they don't have the license for the show outside the US.

Where I live, it's becoming common knowledge that such limitations aren't the case. I've been told Funi do use region locking, but not on all countries outside their market.

The_X_box_360 wrote:
Actually, most of Crunchyroll's anime is streamed outside the U.S. to other countries, as well.

I know many shows on CR don't have restrictions, but although I haven't checked everything, I wouldn't assume most of them to enjoy such availability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
The timer on the site is still counting down to noon EST/11am CST (which was what was originally announced).

Actually, it seems to be coordinated to each individual time zone, considering the timer is still up for me and I'm in Central. So you Eastern-ers got it an hour before me, you lucky dogs!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6