• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Young Gangan to Reveal Project with Mizushima, Gainax

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Why the heck would you people think that Gainax would have anything to do with Gundam? Have Gainax and Sunrise ever worked together before on anything? Besides, this guy only directed Gundam 00, not other Gundams. Who the heck knows if he's even going to be involved in the Unicorn project, but if he is, it will be done by Sunrise, not Gainax.

I'm hoping that Gainax is bringing him into the fold for a continuation of Gurren Lagann that tells the story of what happened beyond spoiler[the fall of the Anti-Spirals]. The kind of writing that was inolved with FMA 1 and Gundam 00 would seem a surefire way to continue that series' reign of epicness! The fact that the announcement is being made in a Seinen manga might indicate a slightly darker direction for the continuation of the series, since the original kinda missed its mark as a "kids" show and had a greater-than-expected appeal to young adults.

Of course, another obvious possibility is an anime of Young Gangan. After Shikabane Hime, Gainax and Squenix are no strangers to each other. Whatever it is, I'll be looking into this site on the 28th with bated breath...
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Either way, I thought the second season of 00 was awesome. It could have been better, but there's always room for improvement.

Agreed, both seasons of 00 were all kinds of awesome.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Without knowing anything else, at all, it's very hard for me to say much at this time. I think each project should be approached on its own merits and not just those of the staff, although Mizushima's involvement isn't a bad thing in my book either. Neither is Gainax's, but it doesn't guarantee too much in the end either.

Once more information is revealed, then we'll be able to debate the potential or actual positives and negatives. Right now it's just speculation fodder and very little else.

Westlo wrote:

Code Geass R2 just hit the same wall as Heroes and Lost did.. while lots of fans still love it just as much others see a massive decline in quality.

One notable difference being, outside of length, that I would doubt Heroes or Lost will have the fortune of ending in such a way that many people can agree the finale was pretty good, whatever might be said about the rest of the season -especially from any position that does not follow either of the two extremes- but I digress.

Quote:

I really wasn't that impressed by Gundam 00, it was good and very solid but they wasted a lot of things, but honestly I thought Mizushima did a much better job with FMA. And yeah it did get a lot of unwarranted hate but at the same time it had heaps of overzealous fanboys who thought it couldn't do anything wrong so it evened out in the end.

Well, along the same lines of your conclusion, doesn't that happen to anything and everything popular? I'd bet there's even a good chance that statement may very well also apply to whatever project comes out of this particular piece of news, if it's big enough.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Without knowing anything else, at all, it's very hard for me to say much at this time. I think each project should be approached on its own merits and not just those of the staff, although Mizushima's involvement isn't a bad thing in my book either. Neither is Gainax's, but it doesn't guarantee too much in the end either.

Once more information is revealed, then we'll be able to debate the potential or actual positives and negatives. Right now it's just speculation fodder and very little else.

Westlo wrote:

Code Geass R2 just hit the same wall as Heroes and Lost did.. while lots of fans still love it just as much others see a massive decline in quality.

One notable difference being, outside of length, that I would doubt Heroes or Lost will have the fortune of ending in such a way that many people can agree the finale was pretty good, whatever might be said about the rest of the season -especially from any position that does not follow either of the two extremes- but I digress.

Quote:

I really wasn't that impressed by Gundam 00, it was good and very solid but they wasted a lot of things, but honestly I thought Mizushima did a much better job with FMA. And yeah it did get a lot of unwarranted hate but at the same time it had heaps of overzealous fanboys who thought it couldn't do anything wrong so it evened out in the end.

Well, along the same lines of your conclusion, doesn't that happen to anything and everything popular? I'd bet there's even a good chance that statement may very well also apply to whatever project comes out of this particular piece of news, if it's big enough.

I don't think Code Geass R2 "hit a wall" due to decrease of quality, just judging from their ratings on here. Apparently R2 is the #2 anime of all time according to ANN voters, while Season 1 isn't even in the Top Ten.

While Gundam 00 can be called guilty of riding the coattails of its franchise, I think it provides something for anime fans who aren't necessarily fans of the Franchise. The influence of Mizushima is definitely present in the storyline of foolish ideals, conflict, and betrayal that is reminiscent of FMA. I didn't realize that until now, but then again I have only seen Season 1 so far, as I'm a Sci Fi (and YouTube) faithful dub watcher. Can hardly wait for 11 PM 6/29 though! Very Happy

And as for the assertion that hate happens with anything popular, I think the only way this new project would be exempt from that would be if it were a continuation of Gurren Lagann. No wait, it would still be hated upon by people who would say it CAN'T possibly be as good as the original, but if anyone can improve upon THAT, it's Mizushima! Smile
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...it seems with my first two posts on this topic, I was a little confused. Young Gangan is not a manga story, but rather a collection of several manga stories--it's like a more mature Shonen Jump or Shonen Sunday. I see my current guilty pleasure Kurokami ran in it. Based on that, I would have to say either Gundam or Gurren Lagann are long shots, since neither ran in YG. But then again, the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann manga could be picked up by YG, since I don't think it runs in any weekly/monthly publication. But more likely than not, this will be a project involving a manga previously or currently in YG that isn't already animated. Whatever it is, I know Gainax won't animate anything that isn't pretty action-oriented!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2