• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more
You are welcome to look at the talkback but please consider that this article is over 5 years old before posting.

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - I'm Sorry I Wasn't Here Last Week Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabrek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
And if you want to look at shows that are no longer available, I'd go with either Utena or Now and Then, Here and There. They even have remasters, and look better than before.

If you're looking for it, Now and Then was reissued in July (the set is on special at RightStuf for $18).
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

I believe the rest of the world calls those "young adult" books. And they publish hundreds every year. Your library probably had a huge section of them before anyone even knew what anime was in this country.

To be a horrible nit-picky person, those would be middle-grade novels. Very Happy YA tends to lack the illustration factor and focus more on description than dialogue. Some good recent examples would be The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls by Elise Primavera and the amazing The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
.....so, that's why Ryo-Ohki's various mewlings were technically "dubbed" by a vile English-speaker.
Ouch! I don't think Debi Derryberry would appreciate you calling her that. Wink
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
Rose of Versailles. I guess I could read it in German or French, but I'm more comfortable with English. CMX has already stated they won't be able to support another old shoujo manga right now, so I'm kinda hoping Viz or Vertical will license it.

Quote:
Hands Down, Saint Seiya. Only half of the series was dubbed and the only subs avalable are HK. If this was avalable in English, Subbed or dubbed I would totaly buy it the day it comes out.

Well, atleast we got the manga. Did you know it's one of Viz's worst selling titles?
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
Dub bashing in an individual thing. I do bash certain voices (in Japanese and English) but never say that to the individual when you meet (PokemonUSA would be an exception I think).
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
Yay, Matthew, for calling out the misuse of over-rated/under-rated. I tend to mentally substitute over-appreciated/under-appreciated when I see those words bandied about, anyway. At least, on the internet.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Yay, Matthew, for calling out the misuse of over-rated/under-rated. I tend to mentally substitute over-appreciated/under-appreciated when I see those words bandied about, anyway. At least, on the internet.

I probably agreed with his response the most, and Haibane Renmei is a perfect example. I love the show, and so do the people that I know that have seen it, but the number can be counted on one hand. Just because something hasn't been seen doesn't mean it's necessarily "under-rated." Let's face it, a lot of shows just aren't going to be wildly popular so it's hard to apply the same concepts. It's like with movies, you'll have the big blockbusters that make a ton of money because they are seen by many people and then you have the ones that are award contenders with smaller viewership. Sure both would like to make piles of money, but they're not really after the same thing so comparing them and "rating" them doesn't apply.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
Does the "title" have to be anime? Because if the manga of Yawara! ever got licensed, I'd throw a party. Come on, Viz, you're doing such a good job releasing all the Urasawa series, dig back and do his older ones!
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
To address a few points which came up in the column:

*Ai Yori Aoshi is actually one of the most widely-respected (if not the most widely-respected) of all harem series, and it was an unexpectedly big hit, so calling it "underrated" is inaccurate.

*Key the Metal Idol also isn't underrated because it has many more fans around that might be initially apparent. I've even seen a full chapter devoted to this series in an anime-related book (which brought it up as an example of a series with a unique blending of traditional Japanese elements like miko and idol singers).

*Calling Bleach "overrated" is also inaccurate. Yes, it does little that's original and could accurately be called the convergence of concepts, story structures, and story elements brought together from numerous earlier shonen series, but it does this successfully and highlights it with a keen visual and audio style. I'd never accuse Bleach of being a great or creative series, but it does earn its popularity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Pre-2000 title? I'll go with Mad Bull 34. Why didn't anyone bother rescuing it and putting it on DVD? (While we're at it, why hasn't anyone rescued Revolutionary Girl Utena or Record of Lodoss War yet, goddamn it?)

Oh, wait, you mean something that's never been available in the States? I'm split among Bobby's in Deep, Nineteen 19, The Enemy's the Pirates!, TO-Y, Rose of Versailles, and Ocean Waves.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Pre-2000 title? I'll go with Mad Bull 34. Why didn't anyone bother rescuing it and putting it on DVD? (While we're at it, why hasn't anyone rescued Revolutionary Girl Utena or Record of Lodoss War yet, goddamn it?)

Oh, wait, you mean something that's never been available in the States? I'm split among Bobby's in Deep, Nineteen 19, The Enemy's the Pirates!, TO-Y, Rose of Versailles, and Ocean Waves.
We're getting Ocean Waves next Feb. Very Happy
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Rose of Versailles. I guess I could read it in German or French, but I'm more comfortable with English. CMX has already stated they won't be able to support another old shoujo manga right now, so I'm kinda hoping Viz or Vertical will license it.

Vertical's vintage shoujo titles sold very poorly and I seem to remember them saying they wouldn't be releasing any more.

Sanyusha actually published two volumes of Rose of Versailles in English way back in 1981 but I imagine they're pretty hard to find.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:

We're getting Ocean Waves next Feb. Very Happy

You lucky driving-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-road bastards. Why the hell doesn't anyone bring Ocean Waves here to the States?
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

We're getting Ocean Waves next Feb. Very Happy[/quote]

Lucky for the UK.

Here in the US we have to make due with the Japanese release, which does have English subtitles.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Ouch! Brian, hope you feel better soon! The state of dental insurance availability is worse than the state of health insurance availability in this country. I've been paying out-of-pocket for regular dental exams for years. The bills hurt worse than the cavities, don't they? Brian, you have my sympathies.

Matthew's answer was a great read (and it made me want to check out Habanei Renmei). I'll be the first to admitt that a lot of what I enjoy to watch or read are hardly original, let alone works of artistic genius (calling something as beloved as Naruto "crap" is a bit mean, though). That doesn't make the experience any less fun.

It's when something is widely praised by respected critics to be a work of genius despite its flaws (sometimes because it's a popular thing to love, othertimes because the author of the work is a sacred cow [cough*Tezuka*cough]) and I *notice* those flaws, that I lose a little faith in critics' critical thinking.

As for this week's question: I'm not familiar with post 2000 anime, but I'd love to see a bit more of Tezuka's Shojo manga "Princess Ribon" published in English, if only because it's a shojo manga prototype that was inspired by early productions of the Terazuka (sp?) Review.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5