• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New York Anime Festival 2009 - Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Deadwing wrote:
An entry over at Funimation's blog mentions that FMA: Brotherhood is going to be released this coming Spring. I haven't seen this bit of news anywhere here at ANN, so I thought I'd share it with you. While that's still at least six months away, I'm glad it finally got a DVD release announced, as I vastly prefer DVDs to streams or downloads.

I'm glad somebody had that information, I was just about to comment that, since they announced the dub cast, it must mean the DVDs are in the works.

Brotherhood is definitely something I'll want on DVD. I wonder if they'll be released as singles, or in sets.

For instance, the first fourteen episodes would be on one set, since it's the first "part" of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation will continue to release all of their titles in both subtitled and dubbed formats, and has no plans of following the growing industry trend of releasing subtitled-only products.

And this is why my collection consists mostly FUNi titles. That, and there's quite a few they do in the Geneon collection as well.

Now, if only they'd drop that two part box set idiocy, I'd be happy with them completely.

As for the Blu-Ray, can't say I'm a fan in regard to anime. Sorry, but I just don't see a vast improvement in display when the show itself is already produced digitally.

I see no Blu-Ray titles in my future, but it's still nice to see that they're willing to shove them out to those that do want them. I just hope they don't go totally Blu-Ray anytime soon.

I was also hoping to see they'd pick up a few Geneon titles which have sequels out there, but no such luck with this convention. Maybe the next one.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
I'm betting Adult Swim will get FMA:B to replace Moribito (or perhaps an episode of Bleach) in the Saturday premiere rotation starting in January or February 2010. But then again, they could say "not interested", and this would probably wind up on Spike. It's just too big for the Funimation channel!
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
... Funimation will continue to release all of their titles in both subtitled and dubbed formats, and has no plans of following the growing industry trend of releasing subtitled-only products.

A shame they are licensing virutally nothing I want, while everyone else (the competition) is just slaughtering them time after time with much better stuff. It's also a shame that I can get 24 sub-only episodes for $48 and I can get 24 episodes for $70 during a sale. Funimation is growing smaller and smaller in my collection. And really, 1 license rescue and 1 partial license (First-Second was licensed, as Third-Fourth Stage was unlicensed) rescue? REALLY? Is that really all you got? That's disappointing for being #1, Funimation. You should live up to your title. Initial D isn't as popular as it used to be and its going to really hurt when the sales are terrible.
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:
And really, 1 license rescue and 1 partial license (First-Second was licensed, as Third-Fourth Stage was unlicensed) rescue? REALLY? Is that really all you got? That's disappointing for being #1, Funimation. You should live up to your title.

Uh, remember like 3 months ago, maybe a half a year back even, when Funi licensed up a storm? Yeah, they kinda need to take care of those titles and make some money before they can get back to that again...
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:
A shame they are licensing virutally nothing I want, while everyone else (the competition) is just slaughtering them time after time with much better stuff. It's also a shame that I can get 24 sub-only episodes for $48 and I can get 24 episodes for $70 during a sale. Funimation is growing smaller and smaller in my collection. And really, 1 license rescue and 1 partial license (First-Second was licensed, as Third-Fourth Stage was unlicensed) rescue? REALLY? Is that really all you got? That's disappointing for being #1, Funimation. You should live up to your title. Initial D isn't as popular as it used to be and its going to really hurt when the sales are terrible.
Yet while their competitors are licensing these supposedly great series, Funimation is getting the sales and money! Amazing! You're also ignoring all the other licenses they've had this year and the lack of many new licenses from the competition.

I love these posts where everyone plays armchair CEO and blatantly states how badly series will sell. Here's a funny bit of truth folks: anime with an English dub tends to beat anime with just a sub when it comes to DVD sales. It tends to do it a lot. And the competition which is licensing all of these anime people love to post about are ZOMG so much better? Well, who has the bulk of the market share right now? Who is expanding while others are retracting in terms of market presence?

And something else to chew on. Funimation is making this decision based on what it's customers are telling them. No, let me be clearer: They are taking this stance because of their PAYING CUSTOMERS. So, is anyone here going to argue that going against what their paying customers tell them is a bad idea? These would be the same customers who are expected to buy their products.

Speaking as one of those paying customers who sent in his reply cards often, I personally am grateful that they listened to my opinion and desires. Unlike other companies who either went down different paths or just never asked for my input to begin with, Funimation is doing things the way I wanted them to.

Which is why I buy their products and why they keep getting to listen to my opinion. (Perhaps the secret to their success has something to do with listening to those paying customers of their's?)
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quote:
The panel opened with some statistics about their viewership; according to user surveys, the majority of fans prefer to watch dubs. In light of this, Funimation will continue to release all of their titles in both subtitled and dubbed formats, and has no plans of following the growing industry trend of releasing subtitled-only products.
In light of this, I will continue to support FUNimation, and have no plans of supporting the growing industry trend of subtitled-only products. Wink

That only means that they are listening to the "buying fans that complete their surveys". Doubtful that the "majority of fans" are filling out those cards imo. They prob realize this. If they really want to give their data some power (believability), they could tell us the confidence level and interval and significance of their survey results the next time they mention it.

It makes for good PR for them to say this though imo. Dub fans will just eat it up.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:22 am Reply with quote
This is a question for Mr Heiskell.

Is there any news on when people outside the US; especially the UK will be able to access the streaming video on the official Funi site again as it's frustrating that we can't watch stuff like One Piece or FMA: Brotherhood and have to rely on fansubs to watch them...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:24 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Is there any news on when people outside the US; especially the UK will be able to access the streaming video on the official Funi site again as it's frustrating that we can't watch stuff like One Piece or FMA: Brotherhood and have to rely on fansubs to watch them...

As regards FMA, Manga UK are apparently in the process of getting the streaming contract approved for us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quote:
The panel opened with some statistics about their viewership; according to user surveys, the majority of fans prefer to watch dubs. In light of this, Funimation will continue to release all of their titles in both subtitled and dubbed formats, and has no plans of following the growing industry trend of releasing subtitled-only products.
In light of this, I will continue to support FUNimation, and have no plans of supporting the growing industry trend of subtitled-only products. Wink

That only means that they are listening to the "buying fans that complete their surveys". Doubtful that the "majority of fans" are filling out those cards imo. They prob realize this. If they really want to give their data some power (believability), they could tell us the confidence level and interval and significance of their survey results the next time they mention it.

It makes for good PR for them to say this though imo. Dub fans will just eat it up.
Well like any survey, or election it is the voice of the people who speak up that are listened to. Don't speak up, or don't vote? No one can hear you. Do they give survey cards at Nozomi, or with fansubs? Wink Also don't you think it's a bit lame and pointless to be so condecending when all FUNI's products are hybid? Dub and sub fans will just buy their products, because both can, and at the end of the day isn't that what it's all about?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote
Good for Funi that they're providing dub fans with what they want. I'm a sub watcher, so it doesn't affect me, but it's nice to see that they are doing what they can not to alienate a good portion of the anime audience. I also send in my reply cards now and again. I can't send them in every time because I buy a ton of anime so it would cost me a fortune in postage Smile

I really don't get why people are complaining that Funi is dubbing stuff. I would imagine that they've seen what happens when you license niche stuff and try and dub it, and I'd like to think that even though they've stated they'll continue dubbing all their releases that if it started to be a money sink for them that they'd revise that policy. It's not like they're ADV (or whatever they're called now) and they're shuffling assets around to avoid bankruptcy. They seem to be doing well enough financially, so I'm going to assume they know what they're doing. Japanese language and subs will always be on DVD, so whatever else they do with it is of little concern to me.
Super_Vegeta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote
YAY! I'm happiest about more anime being released on Blu Ray disc! Although I already have Burst Angel I'm definately gonna be getting the BD set too. *sigh* I was hoping to avoid "double-dip" purchases, but I loved Burst Angel too much to pass that up.

I'm glad I waited for Tsubasa, because I'll be buying that on BD only.

ICHI is that live action ninja movie or whatever right? I liked Shinobi (which funi also licensed), in fact it was one of my first BD movies, I may have to pick this up too.
jack messiah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
The panel opened with some statistics about their viewership; according to user surveys, the majority of fans prefer to watch dubs. In light of this, Funimation will continue to release all of their titles a minimum of one to two years after their original airing at higher prices to cover the additional cost. Also, Funimation plans on rolling out a new service which involves showing up at a fan's house to chew their food for them during meals.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Now, if only they'd drop that two part box set idiocy, I'd be happy with them completely.

But everyone's doing that. The most you'll see out of the sets coming from anyone is 15 episodes, and that's from Viz. Bandai only does 7-9, while everyone else is going with 13-14. These are the initial releases taking the place of 3-5 episode singles, not true boxsets.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
As much as Vic must be happy to be doing Ed again, it will be hard since he now lives in LA. I heard him say because of this, he would have to do up to 2 sessions of Ed in one day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4