• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Do You Remember Love?' Composer Kazuhiko Katoh Found Hanged

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
How awful. My thoughts are with his friends and family.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
This is really depressing news. I know more than a handful of people who will be crushed by this development.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
My condolences to his family. Two years ago, I stopped some guy I was mere acquaintances with from completely hanging himself.
sunflowerseed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Most unfortunate thing to hear. Condolences to his family and those who knew him.

Unless his notes left said why he did, I can only guess he was in some bad physical pain that never quits like massive non stop headaches or something and finally had enough. Sleeping doesn't heal much any more as I have discovered with mine.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P. poor guy. I miss you already.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's terrible.

Don't read on if you're easily offended.
spoiler[Suicide is for cowards though, I can't approve of that or really respect anyone who does it. You just make those around you sad and it's kind of pathetic. Sad ]
Ralifar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to agree with Kruszer on this. There's always going to be a better way.

Don't read on if you're faint of heart.
spoiler[When I was 16 or 17(can't remember now) my best friend's dad put a shotgun to his head and pulled the trigger. Who do you think the first person to come home and find the body was? My friend. How do you think it feels to see bits and pieces of skull and brains all over the walls, blood all over the place, and a gaping hole through your father's head? I can't imagine it's sunshine and rainbows.]
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
There isn't always a better way if you can't get the help you need.

spoiler[I went to a small high school. One of the guys in my class killed himself. It hurt everyone. It hurt me, because I still feel I should have done more for him. But I'm not going to blame him for taking the only way out he felt he had. I think doing that is cowardly.]
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
This is horrendous news and I also send my prayers and condolences to his bereaved family. Maybe in honour of his past achievements they will release "Do You Remember Love" as a tribute DVD.

You're overestimating anime licensors "We Care" factor.

Sad to see the man go even though he hasn't done anything recently. I've never understood why someone has to commit suicide other than extreme physical pain. Life has it's ups and downs and there are people (cancer patients) willing to kill to live another day yet people throw their lives away carelessly.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Never underestimate clinical depression as a preventer of rational thought. Yes, logically suicide doesn't make any sense. But when your brain literally does not work properly, it's hard to actually know that.]
Quote:
You're overestimating anime licensors "We Care" factor.
And licenseholder greed that has kept so many parts of the Macross franchise from worldwide distribution.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Wow, that's terrible.

spoiler[Suicide is for cowards though, I can't approve of that or really respect anyone who does it. You just make those around you sad and it's kind of pathetic. Sad ]

Let's not get started on this. What you just said there is quite mindless and stupid. "Those around you" are who should be supporting you and stopping you from doing that. In the end you're just being greedy by saying that.
rekishi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Let's not get started on this. What you just said there is quite mindless and stupid. "Those around you" are who should be supporting you and stopping you from doing that. In the end you're just being greedy by saying that.

yes i quite agree. those comments certainly needed a spoiler, because they were quite offensive to someone who has had to deal with suicide and depression in his life. you're only showing your naïvety, but i pray for your sake you never have to learn from first hand experience.

you really have no idea what real depression does to you. it's a sickness. a disease of the mind... it doesn't make any sense... it doesn't care about love... it doesn't have any sentiment at all... all it does is make you hate yourself. day in day out... that's all you feel... hate... until one day, you snap... you lose hope and you're convinced the only way to stop these feelings is to kill yourself.

that's it... that's what depression is... it's cold... unfeeling... and it doesn't care about the people who love you... and when it gets a hold... it's as deadly as cancer.

as someone who has stood at the precipice of losing someone close (immediate family) to suicide, this event can only be seen as something truly dismal. i can empathise with this man's family, and my heart is broken for their lose.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Wow, that's terrible.

spoiler[I have no idea what you mean by that. What I mean is that one should face life and it's challenges, rather than taking the easy way out. Suicide is surrendering to death whereas, I'd rather fight it tooth and nail. I like to live and want to do so for as long as I possibly can, thus taking my own life seems incomprehensible and counter-productive. Plus, I'm not just blowing smoke as I'm a cancer survivor and have already faced the very likely possibility of death and all the wonderful little thoughts that came with it like suicide and extensive contemplation on life and death.] So say what will, but that's where I stand and I feel very strongly about it.

Last edited by Kruszer on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Life will go on.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I meant the same as the post above yours.
Comparing a life threatening disease to a mental disease is just out of question.
Depression makes no sense, it just happens to you. One's perspective of the world, the people, or one's own life is completely different. It's depressing, dark and hopeless. All you see around you is boredom, loneliness and sadness.
I've met and spoken to many people like you, who came through really destructive diseases or near death experiences. But it's just way too different.
Suicide certainly is a way to abandon this world, but it's not as easy as you think or say.
Besides it's not about shame or fear. The only fear you can feel is that of completely disappearing from this world and knowing there's no second chance.
I can't really say much, since I never tried to debate about anything like this before. All I can say is that your point of view is completely wrong, whether you feel it's completely right or not.

But yeah, just like he said, I pray for your sake you never come through this. This is definitely capable of destroying your whole life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3