• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Saki Episodes 1-25 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malajax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
No, I am not homophobic, nor do I have anything against lesbians in particular. It was just baffling to me that every school represented had some kind of implied lesbian relationship. I suppose it comes out of ignorance on my part. Are lesbians that common in an all girls school in Japan, or is it just Gonzo catering to their otaku audience?

That's the main issue I have with Saki. The segments without mahjong are painfully dull, stupid, and (what looks to me as) pandering to lonely otaku fantasies. Character development is great and all, but I found it all to be really simplistic and predictable. Plus adding too many characters made it especially hard to find one I cared about.

I guess I'll stick to Akagi.
zaeris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
to be fair most of the relationship are subtext with the exception Yumi x Momo and Saki x Nodoka bearing any hint as yuri couple.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
@Malajax - here's the part of your first post that I found the most objectionable:

Quote:
The parts where they're actually play mahjong are awesome, but also few and far between in comparison to yuri nonsense.

Opinions are opinions, but the above is just flat-out wrong. If you were to add up all the minutes devoted to mahjong play and compared them to the "yuri" moments, there is WAY more screen time devoted to the former. To say otherwise completely mispresents the series. This is also a warning to potential yuri hound-dogs: you'll be disappointed if you are looking for hot and heavy action. The "yuriness" of this series is handled extremely innocently. To me it really reads more like a representation of different types of female friendships than anything else.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
You know...

I'm kinda amazed about how we're not suppose to bash moe, yet shows like Saki tend to enjoy bashing guys like Kyoutarou without hesitation.

Maybe Saki would be worth watching more if Kyoutarou was more of an actual threat than a moron. And then there's the torture he gets from the Rie Kugimiya mini-b####. As if he can't be a boyfriend of someone that's not some loli.

Finally there's Gonzo's inability to show some actual panties up the girl's skirts. Rolling Eyes
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
I love how people complain how there's no real guys in Saki, and yet in Hikaru no Go the only girl until the insei period was Akari, who was treated just like Kyoutarou in that she's new to the game and Hikaru mostly ignored her.

I mean, I had no problem with that in Hikaru no Go. I completely enjoyed it for what it was. I saw Hikaru's desire to play again with Touya was one out of admiration.

Just like most the girls in Saki I think realy admire eachother and just simply have fun when playing an exciting mahjong game.

Is it so wrong for there to be a mostly-female version of mahjong tournaments when there's a mostly-male version of go tournaments?

I'd understand if the relationships actually portrayed sexual material or that, but handholding and blushing shouldn't be controversial.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Is it so wrong for there to be a mostly-female version of mahjong tournaments when there's a mostly-male version of go tournaments?

Hey, I have an idea: Guys and girls competing with EACH OTHER in mahjong tournaments. Cool

Or Does That Sound Too Much Like Yugioh? Laughing
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
I'd have to guess that mahjong/go tournaments are separated by gender in real life.

In high school at least. Once they're trying to go pro, then they play eachother. Like when Hikaru was an insei
Malajax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@Malajax - here's the part of your first post that I found the most objectionable:

Quote:
The parts where they're actually play mahjong are awesome, but also few and far between in comparison to yuri nonsense.

Opinions are opinions, but the above is just flat-out wrong. If you were to add up all the minutes devoted to mahjong play and compared them to the "yuri" moments, there is WAY more screen time devoted to the former. To say otherwise completely mispresents the series. This is also a warning to potential yuri hound-dogs: you'll be disappointed if you are looking for hot and heavy action. The "yuriness" of this series is handled extremely innocently. To me it really reads more like a representation of different types of female friendships than anything else.

Yeah, "shoujo-ai" would probably be more appropriate. I still can't say that I enjoyed any of those parts due to the stiff... moe-ness I guess. The fanservice as well was also off putting. I just didn't like Saki at all.
LuScr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Saki is published monthly after all, so it's going to be quite awhile till we get the National Tournament, but I liked the teaser we got with the ending theme.

Actually, it's published twice a month (1st and 3rd Fridays). Still, that's a lot slower than the weekly releases of many series.

I think that's what frustrates me the most about Saki. The manga has been going since June 2006. That's over three years' worth of material--and the anime went through all of it and then some in just one season.

This anime almost demands a second season, but if we have to wait for the manga, it'll be years before there's enough material to justify it...assuming that the series is still popular enough at that point to merit it (most aren't).
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Hey, I have an idea: Guys and girls competing with EACH OTHER in mahjong tournaments. Cool

Woah woah woah woah woah. Let's not try to be progressive here.

I feel that when an anime about A tries to do B, the attempts at B fall flat. Hayate the Combat Butler had this issue (where A=comedy/satire and B=romance) and Saki seems to do the same. While I'll entertain the opinion that it may have choked on its own genre savvy, Yakitate Japan manged to avoid these pitfalls by doing B (characterization, etc) within the context of A (satirical bread tournaments).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:

The nature of the fan service in Saki amused me somewhat. Really short skirts but not a single panty shot anywhere (not counting swimsuits later), which I thought was sort of a defining point about ecchi fan service. Like the animators said "We're going to get as close to the line as possible, without going over it."
Didn't it reach the point where fans assumed that the girls simply weren't wearing panties to begin with? That's basically all I'd heard about this series, possible nopan + what-do-you-mean-it's-not-awesome mahjong.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, whoa, whoa...did some of you people watch the same Saki that I did? I certainly never assumed the girls weren't wearing panties at all. Again, I don't really care if people have the wrong impression of this show, other than I feel bad for my fellow pervs who may rush to it, expecting some sugary ecchi goodness only to be severely disappointed.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. The skirts were pretty short, but never did I get the idea of no panties. I just figured they were being relatively clean with the fanservice. I assume the manga isn't riddled with panty shots either.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
The nopan thing most likely originated in 2ch and then Sankaku spent a good amount of time fanning the flames of that one, so it stuck. Same with the yuri relationships. Anyways, Saki is typical moe fare. If you like moe, then it stands to reason you'll like Saki. If you don't like moe, then don't watch it. Very simple.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I stopped watching on that OTHER streaming site around half way through the first tournament. The aforementioned complaints were pretty much my reasons. I also dislike most of the character designs. Was I right to quit, or did I by chance leave the show too early? Does the show dynamic ever change or do I know what to expect at this point?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3