• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Male Arrested in Japan for Uploading via Perfect Dark

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

You might be right about the trolling, but I'll have to dispute #2 and disagree with part of #4. The suspect in this case was arrested for illegally uploading anime, so there was a reason to bring it up. Also, by your argument, you're saying that unless somebody's words have a far reaching and readily discernible effect, they shouldn't speak out about something?

Well, no. But, I think the context in which he posted argues my point for me - it was extremely pompous and pointless.

I'll give you that. The context doesn't help, although I'd still say it wasn't totally pointless. But, I have a better idea of what you're saying now.

I apologize for the confusion, but me clarify "pointless" in my context: Pointless as in "Aw, man. Not another fansub brawl, and for no reason at all." Because, that's pretty much what his post invites... I'm sort of surprised that people aren't flocking to the scene yet.
fmagrave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:
Uh-Oh fansubbers, one of your sources for your raws is gone...So much for anonymity.

TL;DR

Actually, the issue of fansubbing does have a legitimate place here because the only reason many of us English speaking people care that some Japanese person was arrested for illegally uploading cartoons onto the internet is because it affects the supply of quick, high raws on the internet and thus fansubs.
sarsman45

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
They need something that blocks IPs... *hint*
loka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:

Let me be the first (on here at least) to say that Perfect Dark doesn't sound so perfect to me right now...

/never used it
//probably never will

highly doubt Perfect Dark was 'compromised'. one or more people made silly mistakes, or laws were broken to obtain the information. else A LOT more arrests would have been announced.
Skyhawk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Uh-Oh fansubbers, one of your sources for your raws is gone...So much for anonymity.

Oh you little man of little knowledge. Fansubbers don't get their raws that way. People that use Share and Perfect-Dark are everyone else BUT fansub groups. Most fansub groups have a raw provider in Japan that actually does the capturing of the show itself then either uploads it to private FTP servers or private IRC channels. Some even do this for multiple fansub groups. This comes from first hand observations.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:35 am Reply with quote
Oh, it's only FMA:B, no problem, I can just go to youtube and- oh wait, never mind.

Yeah, this is a problem.

You know, the legal option, not available to the UK (AFIK, if you can prove me wrong then awesome).
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:35 am Reply with quote
To what degree a server in a place outside of Japanese jurisdiction would affect raw distribution, I wonder.

I continue to find I have less and less stake in what happens to fansubs because I'm willing to spend less time watching anime and unwilling to watch mediocre anime. If fansubs of the latest shows just disappeared altogether, would anyone be that bummed out? I still have yet to watch stuff I was interested in 4 years ago; easy does it, doesn't it?
loka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:50 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
If fansubs of the latest shows just disappeared altogether, would anyone be that bummed out? I still have yet to watch stuff I was interested in 4 years ago; easy does it, doesn't it?

While it's true that the winter 2010 season is lacking (I can't remember a season this bad since winter 2004), there have been many excellent series and OVAs this year.

Last edited by loka on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:48 am Reply with quote
Interesting. I rather doubt this kind of thing has any impact though. Picking out a few random people and punishing them seems entirely ineffective at stopping piracy. Just look at them music industry.

Quote:
Kyoto's High-Tech Crime Task Force

This should be the name of an anime. It would be like a retro-90s OVA series vaguely along the lines of AD Police. Except it would be absurdly over the top with a hint of intentional irony. The 'pirates' would be literal pirates. They fly around in robots and hijack bullet trains (the dominant form of transportation across the sprawling metropolis that is neo-kyoto). Also there will be many breasts.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:11 am Reply with quote
Build a better mousetrap and someone will build a better mouse.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
This could be a way of eventually shutting down fansubs, but for the most part it's not likely to work mainly because those enforcing the law know far less about the subject than the criminals. The police will often go after the easy stuff, like those foolish enough to use Limewire and the like.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those programs are really traps, although it's more likely that it's easier to track down users of the programs because there are comparatively fewer users of those programs than something like torrents.

It's also worth noting that this is about breaking the law in Japan. It's more like someone uploading Lost or Heroes here. Fansubbing has been tolerated because there has been limited availability in the past and there's almost no anime on TV in NA right now. (Maybe a handful of shows, but nothing compared to the number of shows produced.) Besides, many of those who have used fansubs are also anime buyers. In Japan there's a direct competition with the TV market.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why they were dumb enough to upload FMA:B because it's owned by Aniplex/Square Enix and they're SUPER PROTECTIVE of their intellectual property, seriously, they constantly suspend people from YouTube for using footage from their properties, and let's not forget that lawsuit over that music video that was a blatant rip off of FFVII: Advent Children.
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
You all are just speculating. The guy could have just broken up with his girl friend and she turned him in. Or one of his friends or neighbors. We'll probably never know.
Sinister.Tofu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Well awesome... Japan really does have a Section 9. Very Happy
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
No software is perfect, but given that they only have one person I am very doubtful that the software's encryption was broken. There are other ways that they could have caught this individual and adding "Perfect Dark" to the claim makes it "scary" to use.

Now, maybe they are just "being nice" and "warning" others but... history makes that unlikely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4