• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragonaut DVD part 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
the Rancorous wrote:
What's more baffling to me is that people still seem to think that opinions can't be wrong or unfounded. Rolling Eyes

Isn't that exactly how you're acting? Just read this:
the Rancorous wrote:
That's not really what people are talking about here. What they are saying is that Dragonaut is not even average, it is bad. It is filled with so many flaws and shortcomings that invokes facepalms right and left. Its poorly written, poorly directed, the characters make all kinds of nonsensical choices and that ending was all sorts of not just cliched tropes, but very lame in general: spoiler["How do we defeat Xanatos? How'bout with the power of love?"] Rolling Eyes Dragonaut is not average, it is much below average, it really can not be called 'good' by any means (well okay, the animation probably could, but that's it) and be justified. I will say that things did get better in the latter half, but its less 'redeemed itself' and more 'this end of the garbage dump doesn't stink as much as that end.' It could have worked as a parody or farce series, I feel it really could have. But, it takes itself way too seriously to be such, and so it is just a really bad show.

Apparently you never considered the fact that your own opinion, or the others criticizing the show, could be wrong, and the review right. Rolling Eyes
But then again, "if you have a problem with that, then create your own damn studio" anime. Go, show them, cowboya. [/irony]

Then what makes it right sir? The fact that it's an official ANN makes it right now and all other reviews are wrong? Stop talking out of your ass please.

You need to learn that everything is subjective kid, but regardless of anyone's damn opinion crap can still be crap and no amount of "big-words" or focusing on the shows existential values (oh it looks so pretty, I'll give art a B) doesn't change it
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
Ok, run that by me again. How do you "enjoy" a series with such glaringly obvious flaws and shortcomings in writing, animation, or art (the backbones of any animation)? That's something I understand less than this show getting a B.

I find nothing enjoyable about a series with flaws in any two of the three points you illustrated, especially writing.
It's quite easy, actually.

xxxHolic (first season, not Kei) is easily one of my favorite anime of all time. However, the animation is below par compared to most shows (I mean, the characters all look like beanpoles in the anime, but look better in the manga), the episodes being a bit out of order compared to the manga, and all crossover elements between it and Tsubasa have been erased entirely. Even with those flaws, I still love the series because it's still entertaining and fun to watch.

Firstly, I loved xxxholic (but not how it ended or that it tied into Tsubasa -it was perfect on all its own... stupid CLAMP)! I thought the animation was hyperstylized opposed to low grade. And yeah, the animation threw me at first, but it was shortly and easily overlooked by great characters with good writing (I *HEART* Yuoko! *Squee*).

Ok, back on track...

I guess my opinion of Dragnaut was lower than a B, which is OK. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and may like whatever they choose. But when I think of B-grade material, I think of a show just barely missing greatness, or making just a misstep or two that caused it to falter, but still finish in a strong second place. I got none of that from Dragnaut. It was nothing we hadn't seen before, or done better elsewhere.

A note about opinions: Opinions aren't facts. There is no right or wrong, but a position/judgment/belief taken, argued or defended by an individual, and colored by their reason and experience. Right and wrong are relativistic and require a context within which to judge them. Facts are Facts (Mokina is Mokina!) Opinions change just as people change; there not objective absolutes. Facts can support or refute a well reasoned and argued opinion.

This review is an opinion, just as my critique is my opinion. Neither is intrinsically or inherently factual or right or wrong. Any judgments about the rightness of an opinion is up to each observer to judge for themselves. Don't confuse opinions as facts. Facts aren't refutable by their very nature, opinions are.

Some may read the review and agree just as many might disagree, that's ok. It's just a difference in opinion, not an argument regarding fact.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
Then what makes it right sir? The fact that it's an official ANN makes it right now and all other reviews are wrong?

I never said that it was right. I said that he apparently never considered the fact that the review was right. Besides, if you can't solve these questions on your own then I'll take the liberty and assume that you live a pretty pathetic and indecisive life.
Quote:
Stop talking out of your ass please.

Remove your nose out of it first.
Quote:
Stop talking out of your ass please.

So, are you replying to what an "ass" said? What frequency is it? Does it even speak words? I wonder what kind of paranormal powers you hold. But I bet it's even more useless than Meg Griffin's ability of growing her nails.
Quote:
You need to learn that everything is subjective kid, but regardless of anyone's damn opinion crap can still be crap and no amount of "big-words" or focusing on the shows existential values (oh it looks so pretty, I'll give art a B) doesn't change it

I don't need to learn anything, Ojisan. I'm very satisfied with the ignorance, stupidity, and greed I have achieved. Needless to say, my life is hardly any of your business, Ojisan. In my view, the only crap here is your post, and for someone who's been in telepathic contact with my ass that doesn't surprise me one bit. Now, why don't you go water the plants, and sweep your house's entrance, very mature and intellectual person.

Last edited by egoist on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

I never said that it was right. I said that he apparently never considered the fact that the review was right.

So what makes the review right, unless you're just a happy fluffy bunny who asks question instead of answering them (your response below proves this BTW) or in this case just decided he was gonna break out for the norm and give it an actual good review with no substance to other than what "he" thought was good.
egoist wrote:

So, are you replying to what an "ass" said? What frequency is it? Does it even speak words? I wonder what kind of paranormal powers you hold. But I bet it's even more useless than Meg Griffin's ability of growing her nails.

That's lovely but it doesn't answer my question now does it? No it seems you're talking out of something inaudible that adds no sentimental value whatsoever...hmmm I wonder what that could be?

egoist wrote:

I don't need to learn anything, Ojisan. I'm very satisfied with the ignorance, stupidity, and greed I have achieved. Needless to say, my life is hardly any of your business, Ojisan. In my view, the only crap here is your post, and for someone who's been in telepathic contact with my ass that doesn't surprise me. Now, why don't you go water the plants, and sweep your house's entrance, very mature and intellectual person.

Other than showing off your weebooish tendencies and word play it seems that you wasted an entire post not making a point credible to your name, but who am I kidding like you've ever made a point to begin with, so it seems your just stuck in a rut so to speak not proving a point as always, how predictable Rolling Eyes

[Mod Edit: Keep this clean. You want to disagree? Fine, but the line is drawn at personal insults. As the rules state, disagree respectably or don't disagree at all. - Keonyn]
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Put me down in the "Did not like" category.

After viewing the first half, I was of the mind that that the hate this show generated at any mention of Gonzo was over the top.
I thought it was not that bad.
The second half made me say to the haters "You were right, I was wrong."

This almost felt like a show within a show that people riff on, like Blade Bravers in Bamboo Blade, or Gekigangar III in Nadesico. Sadly, it appeared they took themselves seriously.

By the time it was over, the only things good I could say for it was that the animation was good and I was glad I would not have to see it again. Again these are my opinions, but I would much rather rewatch a host of generic middle of the road titles like Kaze no Stigma or even Blassreiter than Dragonauts.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm semi worried to watch this title. I have followed Theron's reviews and I have agreed 100% with him so when he suggests something I feel like I really have to check it out. But from the first few episodes I saw this series is a total mess. Would it be ok to just buy the 2nd half and read an episode guide up to the halfway point?

And this is the first time I've seen people upset that a review gave a higher grade than a lower one. Geez people chill out.

Rather than be rude why not just say: "Can't say I feel the same but if you're one to agree with Theron's reviews then you may want to check it out, but I can't stress enough how bad this show is."
zatheus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:11 am Reply with quote
If you agree with a reviewer 100% then usually you will enjoy what they enjoy. That's what it all comes down too when it comes to reviewers of anything, be it books, movies, television shows, music, games, or anime. Kinda agree with Key on the grade of overall show. Was it the best show not really was it the worse no. Kinda right in the middle. I call this the 'eh' zone. Laughing
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:54 am Reply with quote
Alright, it would seem a few people in this thread don't want to play nice. So, I'm hereby telling them to do so, because I see no reason to lock a thread discussing a review due to a few people who can't treat each other with respect. You want to claw at one another, take it to a private location, but any further disrespectful and aggressive behavior in this thread will result in action being taken against said users.

People need to understand that reviews are not right or wrong, they are an opinion, and you simply agree or you disagree. The purpose of a review is to give the reviewers opinion and why he/she did or did not like a series/movie and specific elements of it. The point is to clarify what they thought was good and not good so that the reader can then judge for themselves whether they'd agree or disagree with the reviewers viewpoint. A review doesn't definitively say something is good or bad, it's an objective opinion detailed out so a reader can decide if they might be interested.

If a reviewer says "this show had a lot of x which I felt was too y and so I didn't like it", and you happen to like x and y, then you might like what they didn't. It's a simplified example, but the point is the review is there to serve a purpose whether you agree with it or not. It's not the word of god, it's just a fleshed out opinion of someone who has viewed a series or movie so that the reader of the review can take the information and determine if it's something that might potentially interest them or not. So all this talk about whether the review is right or wrong is pointless and childish, because it's neither.

Regardless, turning any thread in to a grudge match and flame war isn't tolerated, as the rules specifically state. Consider this a warning for posters to keep it clean and respectful, or further action might be required.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I tried to like Dragonaut. I tried really hard to like it.

I mean, the scene where we find out how Toa got her name... that was *so sad*. There were definitely things to like about the series, and I'm not going to say that I hated it.

But overall, it had bad pacing, aspects of the way the world(s) was set up were ridiculous -- I mean, the whole thing with Mars was absurd, IMO. And at least one of the characters made me want to kill him, not out of hatred, but out of contempt for his utter retard-emoness (I ain't one to gossip, but he's a dragonaut with no dragon).

And then there's the ending, which while good in many ways, was still pretty hokey.

I'd give this a "Rental Shelf" rating, myself: I didn't mind watching it, but I'm glad I didn't buy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2