• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2010 - Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zags

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
INDEX. YES.

Index season 2 was announced a few weeks ago and now Funi has licensed season 1. I can die happy.
kikin0083

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:
YES! My prayer is finally answered! They finally got Hellsing Ultimate V through VII!

I second that sentiment. I had pretty much given up. But any word on whether or not they're going to bring back the original English dub cast? Please let the answer be YES!

Halleluja!!!
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
I have a question for Lance Heiskell seeing as he often reads these forums.

When are you guys going to sort out the situation concerning geoblocking shows that were previously available to view to people in the UK such as Slayers and Ouran High School Host Club as well as shows that will never get UK releases like ONE PIECE and Dragonball Z even though there's a huge fandom for both shows here.

On another note, is it totally random what shows are available for people to watch in the UK or are there any other random factors involved.

In other words, I'd love to be able to support the UK market, but I can't be bothered seeing as there's not a wide choice available here or we have to wait a year or more between the US and UK releases plus the majority of releases are a lot more expensive than the US ones.

Basically the UK market sucks a$$ at the moment, especially when it comes to legal streaming over here as there's not much choice.

What I'm trying to say is: If you consider us Brits when it comes to licensing shows for streaming especially as you have a partnership with Manga Entertainment then we'd buy them as legitimate releases on DVD/Bluray on import rather than pirate then. In other words, a win-win situation for both the UK fans and for Funimation.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation will also be re-releasing more titles from Geneon's catalogue, including Texhnolyze, Armitage III (both the TV series and the movie), Hellsing, and Serial Experiments Lain.

Quote:
Funimation also licensed the third season of Black Lagoon, and Hellsing Ultimate V through VII.

Quote:
The biggest announcement was saved for last, though, when they revealed that they had the rights for the new Trigun movie, Trigun: Badlands Rumble.

The Best News to come out of this panel.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Psycho_Despair wrote:
YES! My prayer is finally answered! They finally got Hellsing Ultimate V through VII!

I second that sentiment. I had pretty much given up. But any word on whether or not they're going to bring back the original English dub cast? Please let the answer be YES!

My not-so-expert opinion on this is that they've pretty much GOTTA get the original cast for the big guns like Arucard, Seras, Sir Integra, Anderson, Walter, Schrodinger's Cat, and The Major, but some of the one-off characters that might appear in each episode could be done by anyone currently in FUNi's roster, considering we haven't even seen them voiced by anyone yet! In other words, a situation similar to Evangelion 1.01. Oh wait, we HAVE heard them voiced by characters in the original TV series. Well then, maybe it's more like a similar situation to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood then. But so far only three significant characters' voices have changed in Brotherhood, and if they can do that for Hellsing Ultimate, over the original series, then epic win!

BUT YES! THE LONG-AWAITED DUB OF HELLSING ULTIMATE 5-7 IS HAPPENING! AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT WILL BE AVAILABLE IN 2011! I'll bet they'll even get aired on FUNimation's channel, which I hope to have by then...but I'll probably still buy 'em and complete my collection.

Last edited by LagannImpact on Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:55 am Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Even without a Durarara or Sailor Moon announcement, I have a very, VERY happy fangirl right now. ♥

Was hoping they would rescuse SM too. season 1 and R needs an uncut dub version since ADV never released one , and it would have been nice if they convinced Toei to give them the license to Stars as well.

Quote:
Sheehan also talked about the company's anti-piracy efforts, mentioning that one of the most important things that fans could do would be to watch free internet streams. To ensure that fans can watch new series as soon as possible, Funimation has offered several simulcasts, including One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Rainbow, House of Five Leaves, and The Tatami Galaxy.

Unfortunately their not doing enough cause people are still ripping eps from their DVDs and illegaly streaming , with One Piece as their main targets. and the same video sites (veoh,youtube,myspace) that they (Funi) have on are allowing this. the entire industry needs to do something and fast. it'll eventually strip them dry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:22 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Sorry, surveys and polls are an endless source of misinformation, so when people randomly throw out numbers I get irked. Ditto on the age brackets; wouldn't teens be less likely to bother with surveys? And on it goes...
It's probably down to adults saying their teens when filling in the cards. Wink

jr0904 wrote:
Was hoping they would rescuse SM too. season 1 and R needs an uncut dub version since ADV never released one , and it would have been nice if they convinced Toei to give them the license to Stars as well.
It's the squeaky wheel what gets the grease. Wink
captainbanana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:59 am Reply with quote
Was there any news on when FLCL will get released? I've been waiting for its rescue and inevitable boxed set for years, ever since I refused to pay the absurd cost of the 2 episode per pack single releases back in the day.

That Tenchi is getting a re-release is great news. I was late to the whole "ADV firesale" event, and all the stock was gone by the time I tried to horde the various Tenchi shows.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
*cries for being happy

Shakugan no Shana is finally coming back. Anime cry

I'm glad some titles are being re-released. Some of us missed out the first time around, and with the S.A.V.E. line, this is most certainly going to allow me to buy many more titles.

Such a shame Familiar of Zero wasn't announced, but that's okay. I can wait. Seems I've plenty of things to watch in the meantime.

I just purchased the first season of Darker than Black. Heard good things about this, so seeing it licensed into further seasons sound like a good thing.

It's a good time to be an anime fan. Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Armitage III (both the TV series and the movie),
What TV series? I know of the OVA, and the two movies. Of those Poly-matrix was just a butchered down version of the OVA (which doesn't deserve re-releasing IMHO.), where Duel-matrix was the actual sequel. No TV series I know of. Confused
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
I'm surprised to hear that "the majority" of their fans are dub fans... but I wonder how many that is? Funi dubs aren't usually to my taste, so I guess I'm not in that majority, but as long as there are subtitles, I'm happy ^^ I'm interested to see their Hetalia cast, though-- definitely will listen to the dub on that one!
That's the great thing about Funimation though. Even though you're not a fan of their English dubs, you will always get your subtitles and those who like their dubs or just want any English dub will, at least according to their current policies, always get our English dubs! You're happy, I'm happy and that's the way it should be.

Sub and dub working together to spread anime joy to all!

LagannImpact wrote:
My not-so-expert opinion on this is that they've pretty much GOTTA get the original cast for the big guns like Arucard, Seras, Sir Integra, Alexander, Schrodinger's Cat, and The Major, but some of the one-off characters that might appear in each episode could be done by anyone currently in FUNi's roster, considering we haven't even seen them voiced by anyone yet!
I agree completely. Heck, Laura Bailey did Schrodinger, so it's like they've already started to get the cast back!

I doubt there's any chance Funimation doesn't want to get the original English cast back for this one. I'd be stunned if they weren't already trying to figure out the logisitics. The real questions are: can they afford the original cast and is the original cast available? We could end up with a situation where some characters were re-cast but I'm heavily leaning toward the belief that we'll get the full casts back for several shows.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I doubt there's any chance Funimation doesn't want to get the original English cast back for this one. I'd be stunned if they weren't already trying to figure out the logisitics. The real questions are: can they afford the original cast and is the original cast available?

I have a strong feeling that the big lapse in time of being licensed was partly due to that dilemma; I'd wager the same goes for Shana, but that's just my guess. Anyways, like many others, I'm a (ridiculously) happy camper with this news!!!

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Such a shame Familiar of Zero wasn't announced, but that's okay. I can wait.

Not to sound like a bummer or anything, but the general consensus I've heard about the later 2 season's of FoZ is that they really suck. If so, I think I'd rather just stick with the entertaining first season.
Personally, this is a series that I would like to see FUNi re-dub; I can hear Hillary Haag as Louise and Colleen Clinkenbeard as Kirche, and it makes me wish...

And... they've picked up 3 of the summer-season shows I was wanting to watch/check out! Sekirei ~Pure Engagement~, Shiki, and the Legend of the Legendary Heroes! Their video portal is going to have even more visits/temporary stays from me.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quote:
What TV series? I know of the OVA, and the two movies. Of those Poly-matrix was just a butchered down version of the OVA (which doesn't deserve re-releasing IMHO.), where Duel-matrix was the actual sequel. No TV series I know of. Confused

They probably mean the OVA.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quote:

They probably mean the OVA.

Again, there's no reason to buy FUNi's release. Rightstuf's copies have been sitting in the bargain bin forever: $9 for Dual Matrix (with Lunch Box and Figure!), $4 for Poly-Matrix Movie, $11.24 for the orginal OVAs. I highly doubt that anything FUNi releases would be cheaper. So people go to buy FUNi's release, see the cheaper old Geneon releases, and buy those. I also doubt Armitage has enough fanbase left to even sell out the rest of those old Geneon DVDs either.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Not to sound like a bummer or anything, but the general consensus I've heard about the later 2 season's of FoZ is that they really suck.

That's their opinion. I'd like to form my own, even on the chance I may agree with the consensus.

No way to know unless I go to one of those sites, and not really wanting to at this point. I can wait.

Besides, Shana will keep me company during this time. I've heard the same thing about this series as well, but I don't care.

This is the same consensus that thinks Suzuka is a good series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4