• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Island of Super Misfit Robots

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:10 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
For a second, I misread the "r" as an "n". When Toole said he loved the title, I thought it was because it sounded like gangbanger.

I keep reading Sasuraiger, as Sausage Rider....
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Great column.

Oh gawd I remember some of these robot toys. Especially the 'Voltron' robots during the 'Voltron' era. I used to visit the 'Forbidden Planet'. They had all the versions of the 'Voltron' toys. They were 'Voltron 1-3'. And there would be a whole discussion with the guys in my HS that were into the pre-Robotech scene. Because 'Transformers' and 'Go Bots' fell into that period as well. So they would find little tidbits from friends about these robots about how they were really from Japan and 3 different shows that had nothing to do with each other. Kind of like with Robotech. The beginning of passing on knowledge or one trying to show off what they know. I remember 'Dairugger' was called 'Voltron I', 'Go Lion' was 'Voltron III'. And 'Voltron II' was 'Albegas'. I wouldn't find this out for years later after entering college and meeting a veteran anime fan who showed me episodes of the show. I even stole some trading cards (from my HS days) from a comic shop on the show. Yet I still did not know what the show was. This was during my entry into buying, collecting and [call myself] reading anime magazines. But for a long time I'd hear folks question others as to why 'Voltron II' never happened. Why the toy but never the show? Fans were still waiting but it never happened. But in the meantime the viewers proved that 'Go Lion' was the superior choice to watch over 'Dairugger'. Yet neither series was any good in Japan. The company that made 'Go Lion' did other shows and they were subpar. But I found it funny that 'Go Lion' was "meh" in Japan but was a hit here. But it would have been interesting to see what would have happened 'Albegas' made it here. Who knew why 'Go Lion' was so popular. Was it the characters, the dubbing or the mice?

As for the 'J9 Brigar' toys, I saw enough knock offs of those during the 'Transfromer' craze. Every street hustler and neighborhood Asian store sold these Brigar "bootlegs" not to mention maybe 'Xabungle' too as 'Transformers'. Because during the Xmas season it was hard to get one. So if you didn't know you'd be suckered and hope the kid would like it. Got so bad that the company had to issue a statement during their commercials letting people know that if "your Transformer doesn't have the special logo then it isn't a REAL Transfomer."

And I love 'GGG'. Watched every episode. Never saw much of the toys until sometime after the show's run. But the one toy I loved from this series that I wish I had been able to get was the 'Kubricks' version of the 'GaoGaiGar'. It was so cute. And they transformed too. They made a 'GaoFaiGar' version as well.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote
I didn't have a single robot toy as a child. Come to think of it, I still don't, because the Revoltechs I own all say on the box "NOT A TOY. ADULT COLLECTIBLE."
Maur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
I think most of my robot toys were probably generic ripoffs. That being said, of all those shows I've only seen Voltron, Transformers and GoBots. That's a lot of missed out mecha history.
Maximus44

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Another great article Mike!

Thanks for the information on Anime Midstream!
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
LostPhrack wrote:
I remember being a youngin' and asking for Voltron one Christmas, naturally expecting the lions of vehicles. So, of course I ended up getting the blue robot from Albegas instead. I was in tears all the way to church that Christmas morning. Crying or Very sad Now I kind of wish I still had that thing. Ah well!

And hey! I remember Shogun Warriors too, mostly because my cousin had Raideen. I'm still fascinated by Shogun Warriors, not just because they're giant robots which is really cool, but because they were actually given a Marvel comic series which was set within the Marvel Universe! Just one of those weird things that kind of blows my mind when I look back on it.

Oh, and I'm totally looking forward to more mecha columns!
Very Happy

it's kind of ironic Marvel would adapt some of these well-known Super Robots from some of the famous anime into their universe. Marvel and Japan has done a lot. First it's the Japanese Spiderman (which also has a giant robot). I did remember hearing a lot of people said that Stan Lee wanted to bring the Super Sentai to US before Saban did that and became Power Rangers.

Also did you know the Shogun Warriors led to the creation of Red Ronin? He was created when Marvel had license to do Godzilla comic.

Red Ronin has been used in the Marvel Civil war line. I like to say that after seeing Marvel team up with Madhouse to do Iron Man, Wolverine, X-Men, and Blade anime. I wonder if it's possible if Marvel can give Red Ronin the anime treatment. Red Ronin was influenced by Super Robot anime genre. So it would be ironic if Red Ronin become a anime and probably pay homage to many of the Super Robot genre that Red Ronin took it influence from. If Marvel did give Red Ronin the anime treatment it would be Marvel's first mecha anime for the US and Japanese market.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
Great article Mike, the Unwashed Massed(TM) nned more exposure to the greatness of the Super Robot genre,

nagato316 wrote:
Mike Toole wrote:
They were kind of like the GoBots, and-- "What the hell is GoBots," you say?! Oh god, I'm old!

Piffle and nonsense! Age is but a number; you're as young as you feel. And I feel like a kid again thanks to the aforementioned...you and I are apparently two of the seven in Western Civilization who still remember--okay, barely anyway--the neverending conflict between the factions of heroic F-15 fighterbot Leader-1 and evil motorcycle Cy-Kill. (Can't even remember the faction names anymore). Good times!! And great article, Mike.

The factions were Guardians (good) and Renegades (evil), too bad Hasbro who now own the Gobots is not interested at the moment for a Challenge of the Gobots on DVD at least that's what gleams out of the Shout Factory forums. (animation was standard HB stuff and the stories were a bit on the kiddie side, but was fun none the less),
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2