• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime series getting taken off sites...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
sho91745 wrote:
Well some of you guys might have realized but many anime series have been taken off [illegal streaming site]? because alot of the creators have been complaining... and i just want to give my thoughts on this matter...if this continues to happen, we will be forced to buy the DVD Sets and yeah we'll buy the series we like but after that it will be alot harder to find new animes because who would risk it to buy a set for 60 bucks and they might not even like it. Well thats it tell me what you guys think.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying you buy nothing at all right now. If so, then clearly even if you buy a few DVD sets for now and then never watch anime again, that would still be an improvement over what you're contributing now. If you buy nothing, you are valueless to the industry. Better you buy a few sets and then disappear forever.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, streamed anime in legal sites are usually there for those who are unable to afford buying anime. However, they do take those episodes down eventually to encourage the viewer to buy the actual product. Not to mention, many of these anime episodes are usually censored because it's there for public viewing. spoiler[Case in point, the ending of School Days where Makoto and Sekai gets their bloody deaths are censored at Crunchyroll].

However, there are some few concerns in regards to taking down anime series that haven't gotten licensed for R1 DVD distribution. Most of the episodes of Sketchbook ~full Color'S~ (something I wanted to rewatch) were taken down about two months ago and Crunchyroll never gave a reason why they did so.

As for the DVD prices, if you are referring to buying in volumes, that would be even more expensive than buying in complete collection. Compare trying to buy the DVD volumes of the third season of Bleach to buying that third season in a complete collection. You'll realize that you will end up saving a LOT more money if you go for the complete collection ($40 in complete collection vs $200+ if buying in volumes).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Anime Companys taking shows off of illegal streaming sites! OH NO! How dare those companies take back whats rightfully theres, how dare they want us to buy the DVDs and Blu-rays so they can make a profit! HOW EVILZ! (Sarcasm is fun)

Personally i say HELLZ YEA! When it comes to companies in Japan & the U.S. cracking down on illegal streams & torrents.

Its a simple concept really, Piracy is Piracey, which is illegal. And of course if you want to support an industry or fracnhise you like, you do so buy BUYING THE PRODUCTS AVALIBLE. (or at least watching them on a LEGAL STREAM.)

I approve this move. Very Happy

As do I, legal and free is better than illegal and free with a small chance of criminal prosecution. Laughing
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
spoiler[Case in point, the ending of School Days where Makoto and Sekai gets their bloody deaths are censored at Crunchyroll].

Uh, that wasn't censored, they just only put the censored version that aired on TV. Not the uncensored DVD version.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
JohnCasey wrote :

Quote:
Why do you automatically assume it's a troll post, and not just plain old ignorance?

This kind of elitism is really starting to piss me off.

I don't get it how is it elitist to assume that someone is intelligent enough to pull a prank rather than stupid enough to ask a silly question?

And don't give me .. maybe he dousn't know he should be paying for Anime. Seriously if people can't work that out they are just thick.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
Dude, I wasn't aware of anime DVDs until I walked into a Best Buy when I heard about it on the Anime Network. I thought the only way for me to watch anime was on youtube. Say what you will about my intelligence, I didn't know that I should be paying for that stuff.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
Well, then don't mind the hecklers and chalk it up to learning something which is always a worthy endeavor.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
RHachicho

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Dude, I wasn't aware of anime DVDs until I walked into a Best Buy when I heard about it on the Anime Network. I thought the only way for me to watch anime was on youtube. Say what you will about my intelligence, I didn't know that I should be paying for that stuff.

I am slightly flabberghasted by that. I mean surely working out that such a production takes alot of man hours and that those man hours need to be paid for is simple common sense? who in the world would do so much work for free? I can understand if you are like 8 or something but otherwise there really is no excuse lol.

And no I am not trying to insult you or start a fight I am simply genuinely shocked that someone can be so ignorant of how the world works.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
Quote:

And no I am not trying to insult you or start a fight I am simply genuinely shocked that someone can be so ignorant of how the world works.

well its as they say ignorance is bliss. Laughing But yea, its amazing these days what people do & don't know at times. But getting back on topic, hopefully the closing of illegal Anime & manga streams & scans will get more people off their lazy rears, and get them to SUPPORT the thing they love, instead of mooching off of it.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:

You serious?
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I admit that I've watch fansubs in the past, but as with many other people that was when there were fewer and more limited channels of watching a show legally. Far as I can tell there're hardly any series worth watching this season that aren't being legally streamed or licensed.

So I'm glad to hear about an illegal site getting shot down. More power to the legal channels and more power to license more series in Japan.

By the way... I can sort of understand how someone (under 15 roughly) could be unaware that there is a lot of anime on DVD since the few brick and mortar stores that sell it usually have a pretty limited selection. It's still pretty pathetic... but it also goes to show that licensing companies could do to work in a little more publicity. Though I also realize that commercials cost money, so it's sort of a sticky situation...
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:

ROFL that's actually really funny. I didn't know what fansubs were until I visited the Anime Network forum.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Probably one of the best uses of sarcasm I've seen in a while. Well played.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Why do you automatically assume it's a troll post, and not just plain old ignorance?

I do think this is plain old ignorance in this case, which is why I haven't locked the thread. However, the vast majority of these kind of posts do fall into the trolling category, which is why I don't have a problem with this being looked at as trolling either.

I have serious doubts about this being a legitimate query - why create an account here (with a rather random name), where this topic is such a hot-button issue, just to ask this question rather than just posting on the site in question or somewhere like anniemaysookie?

Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:
Probably one of the best uses of sarcasm I've seen in a while. Well played.

I'm sincerely hoping that was sarcasm, although for a lot of the people who infest the comments on Youtube and Crunchyroll (at least before it went legit, but I haven't really had the courage to venture anywhere other than the news and support forums since) it may not be all that far from the truth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I'm sincerely hoping that was sarcasm, although for a lot of the people who infest the comments on Youtube and Crunchyroll (at least before it went legit, but I haven't really had the courage to venture anywhere other than the news and support forums since) it may not be all that far from the truth.

Why would you 'sincerely hope' that was sarcasm? Should people have some inherent knowledge of a niche product like anime being released on DVD? I'd say it really all depends on how you are introduced to anime. As unfortunate as this may be, it's a lot easier to come across illegal streams or downloads online than it is to find legit DVDs without actually going looking for them. If you're one of the many people who get introduced to anime either by finding it streaming somewhere or by friends who use fansubs then why would you know any different? I know that's what happened to me.

A friend of mine was into anime and showed me some of his burned fansub DVDs. I asked him where he got these cool shows and he told me you could find them online. So I went ahead and searched online and found a bunch of fansubs. That was how I watched anime for the first year or two and why not? As far as I knew, this was how you got anime. Of course eventually, as I got more involved in the fandom I found out that you could buy DVDs too so I looked into that and eventually found a few places you can buy em. For someone newer or more casually involved with anime I think it's probably pretty easy to not know about legit DVDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3