• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Midstreaming the Cube

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
Zac has the original Digi Charat?

I'm so jealous.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote
In Wolf's Rain, the score and the premise of the lone surviving wolves passing as humans to survive in the post-apocalyptic world were charming from the outset, but its when they get out of the city and loping across the plain that it figuratively hits it stride as well.

Was it dubbed? I wonder whether the people who find the interaction between the wolves flat when they are wolves are listening to the dub or the original acting, which would have been done in the radio-theater open studio style rather individual actors delivering the line to three beeps.

Anyway, when Zac says something along the lines of there only being two or three non-cliched fantasy series in the last decade, it sounds like Wolf's Rain might be one of the two or three. Of course, when I add FMA and Simoun, I'm already at three that seem far from cliche D&D sword fights with high collars and swirling capes, Tegami Bachi gets me to four, Book of Bantorra gets me to five (I'd add Shangri-La to get to six, since I think of it as a fantasy masquarading as SF). A couple premiering in 2003, one premiering in 2006, and two or three premiering in 2009 ... if the industry survives until 2012, there should be some more non-cliche anime to watch.
The Count

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'm kind of surprised neither of you mention the GitS S.A.C. as one of Yoko Kanno's best scores. Her teaming up with Scott Matthew (who is also amazing) and Ilaria Graziano made for my favorite soundtrack. But like with anime there are many opinions on what's good and what's amazing.

Also I agree with Justin that her most recent scores are weaker than some of the stuff she put five or more years ago(as are the shows she's composing for). At one time she was easily my favorite composer in anime, but now people like Taniuchi Hideki, Ike Yoshihiro and Iwasaki Taku are right up there with her.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
Hell yeah, another Nadesico dub fan. I absolutely LOVE this dub, and I'm sad that Jennifer Earhart (Yurika) did basically no other anime VA work except for one other show that I cannot remember right now. I'm kinda curious what Justin thinks of Ruri's English VA though - I see a lot of people complain that her English voice is way deeper than her Japanese voice that a lot of the humor is lost.
Any friends I have that are into anime are going to be watching my DVDs, because it is way too good for anyone to miss it.

I also HATED that movie. After watching it, I was thinking "What did I just see? I just wasted my time to see THIS?"
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:17 am Reply with quote
You know what the real problem with the movie was? We didn't get to see what happened before the movie, and we didn't get to see what happened after the movie.

Here's the deal. After the anime, there was a video game that continued the story, and the movie is a continuation of the video game story. So, we don't get it. Also, there is a second video game that end the story from the movie. So basically, we only got to see the middle of the story.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:38 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Zac has the original Digi Charat?

I'm so jealous.

That is quite an acquisition. Used copies may still be found however, so it is by far the most difficult R1 title to obtain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
Bloodlust is one of my favourite films. It's a stylish, atmospheric, and elegant piece, and for an action flick the story isn't half bad either.

Leila's character design though... yeah. The same guy did the designs for Ninja Scroll, and Kagero is attractive, so he does have the ability to draw female characters who don't look hideous.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote
Brain Powerd is an underrated and wonderful Yoko Kanno soundtrack (And its title does suck. Sounds like one of those RPGs that showed up only to disappear on the SNES that people pay expensive prices these days just to own and never play). However, I cannot unhear the part in the song "Ark" where it's a nice Irish/Scottish tune with TERMINATOR DRUMS!
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
Wow! This was a pretty interesting show! I wish you could've talked to AnimeMidstream more, but I was just happy you interviewed them! I had been hoping you would! I'm very curious about their little company! I'm surprised I'm the only one here on this thread so far to mention Raijin-Oh! That show looks cool! I hope they license the rest of the Eldoran franchise including those Raijin-Oh OVAs! And sales are good? Well, that's good news! I was assuming that this would be a giant flop, but it's good to know that people seem to be buying it! I can't wait to see what AM does next!
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Anyway, when Zac says something along the lines of there only being two or three non-cliched fantasy series in the last decade

Let's take bets on which series these are! I'm thinking that Moribito, 12 Kingdoms or Scrapped Princess are in there somewhere. Maybe Spice and Wolf, in setting only. Those are really the only series I can think of that are relatively cliche-free, or at least from both the genre's cliches as a whole (and still be fantasy) and the usual assortment that anime shows contain.

Too bad the few fantasy anime titles that do make it to the airwaves are creatively stunted or worse -- what made them think Sacred Boobsmith was actually good?

/off-topic

Among all general doom-and-gloom of the industry, it's indescribably nice to hear about a company getting into, and not out of, the licensing and dubbing market. Also seeing a company build itself up from scratch is interesting, considering all the currently functioning companies existed before a large portion of the fandom got into anime.
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Wow! This was a pretty interesting show! I wish you could've talked to AnimeMidstream more, but I was just happy you interviewed them! I had been hoping you would! I'm very curious about their little company! I'm surprised I'm the only one here on this thread so far to mention Raijin-Oh! That show looks cool! I hope they license the rest of the Eldoran franchise including those Raijin-Oh OVAs! And sales are good? Well, that's good news! I was assuming that this would be a giant flop, but it's good to know that people seem to be buying it! I can't wait to see what AM does next!

Count me as the second. Smile That is to be expected though, as even the head himself admitted that this is a niche show. But as signs say that it still looks good, I'll keep my hopes up for the whole series' release.

I only do wish that they got a hold of Mona Marshall though. She would make a good Koji....but I could only dream. Sad
Alucalb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
I'd give up my left hand to a wisecracking parasite for Bloodlust on BluRay.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Anyway, when Zac says something along the lines of there only being two or three non-cliched fantasy series in the last decade

Let's take bets on which series these are! I'm thinking that Moribito, 12 Kingdoms or Scrapped Princess are in there somewhere.

Scrapped Princess pretends to be a cliche-ridden fantasy, but its really science fiction, with an actual plot driver for why the world is trapped in fantasy cliches.

Quote:
Maybe Spice and Wolf, in setting only.

Spice and Wolf, I dunno, I have not seen more than the first couple of episodes.

Quote:
Those are really the only series I can think of that are relatively cliche-free, or at least from both the genre's cliches as a whole (and still be fantasy) and the usual assortment that anime shows contain.

If Moribito qualifies, I don't see how Full Metal Alchemist, Wolf's Rain, Book of Bantorra or Simoun would fail to qualify, and those are all fantasies.

At least Moribito breaks the every three years pattern, which is good ~ I don't really want to have to wait until 2012.

Quote:
Too bad the few fantasy anime titles that do make it to the airwaves are creatively stunted or worse -- what made them think Sacred Boobsmith was actually good?

90% of everything is crud. Finding the good and appreciating it is the challenge.

Quote:
/off-topic

Among all general doom-and-gloom of the industry, it's indescribably nice to hear about a company getting into, and not out of, the licensing and dubbing market. Also seeing a company build itself up from scratch is interesting, considering all the currently functioning companies existed before a large portion of the fandom got into anime.
Quite.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
I'm kinda curious what Justin thinks of Ruri's English VA though - I see a lot of people complain that her English voice is way deeper than her Japanese voice that a lot of the humor is lost.

I know this wasn't aimed at me, but I'd like to chime in. I'm a big Kira Vincent-Davis fan, but Ruri is not one of her better performances. I couldn't care less about how she sounds compared to the seiyuu, but she was just rough at times in her own right. I believe one of the commentary tracks talks about how that was her first big role at ADV and it's obvious. She's certainly not terrible, but she's also just barely passable in my opinion. It certainly does help that the rest of the dub is fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimani

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Good interview with Anime Midstream, I loved that Justin was involved in the interview. Zac asked all the perfect questions.

Zac seemed to keep his cards close to chest in this interview. I couldn't tell if he liked what they are doing or how the went about getting a show. All he kept saying was interesting.

I wish you would have did a post interview discussion between you and Justin to discuss what you've just heard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3