• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eden of the East, Ga-Rei 0 Relisted as DVD/BD Combos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
Well as long as there's no price increase I'm fine with it.

But I'm a little concerned that when I check my order's status it hasn't been updated. The link still redirects to the original Blu-ray release, which of course is now listed as "No longer available for purchase".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:07 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
The day that optical formats become obsolete like VHS, laserdisc, and VideoCD have will be sad. Right now that still looks at least 10-15 years away and it may still turn out that the 5-inch disc format surprises people with further storage increases than what's see in research labs now.

Flash storage is the shitz now. The more capacity they can cram on a flash storage, the more hi-def movies you can bring with you on the go, and faster loading too. And solid-state hard drives have to become cheaper per GB.

GeorgeC wrote:
Maybe computers will merge further with TV sets than they already have, maybe they won't but entertainment center PC units haven't exactly flown off the shelves, either.

They already have TV sets directly connect via ethernet online. Next step will be TV sets via Wireless N on the 5 Ghz frequency. It doesn't have to be streaming; it can be pre-downloaded on the TV set's flash storage.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:14 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC: Thanks for your input. Walking into my local Best Buy last Black Friday, I was very surprised to see what a massive presence Blu-ray had over DVD, as though in six months the tides had taken a decisive turn. But, given the season, I thought they might have been using the day to specifically push the format and sell more players.

The reason I'm still skeptical about Blu-ray is basically looking back at history and seeing how long it takes for a format adoption to really take place. Of all the ones I've experienced in my lifetime, I think tapes to CDs was the fastest, but it really began to take off when CD players weren't just something you bought in a boombox, but became portable, and integrated into car stereos, and most importantly, could be had at a reasonable price for installation as a drive in a computer. "Ubiquitous" standing comes when the player technology reaches a point at which it's as mobile and adaptable as people want/need it to be. Blu-ray is still a bit on the pricey side there, although you're right - DVD players remained over $100 for a couple years too.

Maybe this is just the physical media supporter in me, but I don't think physical media will ever truly disappear (discs might, but I don't know what the media that would replace them will look like - maybe micro solid-state cards or something). This isn't a problem in places like Japan and Korea, but the U.S. has some wildly uneven access to broadband internet, and a lot of varying speeds. I get a mid-tier DSL package that handles almost everything I need fine, and I still have trouble streaming video from some places on the internet (sadly, that includes a lot of the streaming anime content too). And the video that's streamed in "high-def" is certainly not being streamed at anything like 1080p; that would chunk up the lines something fierce.

Aside from its value as a library/archival format, things like Blu-ray and DVD provide value with instant access, high quality, and (as you noted) extras that just wouldn't be available in a bare-bones edition. Streaming is a very valuable media delivery tool if you just want to see a movie or series as a piece of entertainment, like sitting down and watching something on TV, but if I experience a story once and want to see/read/play it again, I generally seek out my own copy. There's also the same issue of distribution of and payment for streaming content, and the issues faced by all content would be the same as those that we've run across in the anime sphere (I'm sure to see each studio's movies, we'd have to register on a site sanctioned by that studio; get ready to create five different accounts to stream the films you want).

I know distributors are salivating at the idea of going all digital and telling everyone that's totally -the future-, because I'm sure the thought of becoming the sole controller of the method of distribution and pricing for their product gives them spasms of mercantile glee ("Can we charge more for every additional person who's in the room watching the streamed film? Please say yes!"), but that idea blithely ignores the fact that the internet infrastructure and data storage capacity for that method to work with true HD content are currently pretty under-par. And even if it does get up to par, I'm sure the entertainment industry will have upscaled its highest-def resolution by then, creating storage problems to which things like discs provide the most convenient and cost-effective solution.

Anyway, beyond that tangent, once we start seeing more computer Blu-ray drives (especially with R/W capacity), that's when it will finally have eclipsed the DVD, in my mind.

Last edited by ittoujuu on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:18 am Reply with quote
This is a bad idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Taiyz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:29 am Reply with quote
For my sake this is a great move that FUNimation has made. I mean, I've got a device that can play blu-rays, but it's not the most convenient thing to watch them on (desktop replacement laptop.) I've been kind of on the fence about a lot of sets and movies just because I couldn't decide if I wanted to make the blu-ray jump or stick with a format that *any* of my devices can play. It's basically quality vs. convenience.

I'm not sure how many fellow anime fans (or consumers at large for that matter) share my sentiments, but FUNimation has certainly secured themself another purchase from me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
This is a bad idea.

This typically useless, uninformative post has been brought to you by Mario1234567, the little boy who gives even rocks intellectual superiority complexes.
sommer89

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:09 am Reply with quote
now that i think about it it sucks for the reason of not every one has a bluray player because ill probly destroy the blu ray disk. Blu ray's packaging stinks to i hate the small thin cases.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
This is a bad idea.

This typically useless, uninformative post has been brought to you by Mario1234567, the little boy who gives even rocks intellectual superiority complexes.

LOL, true. C'mon Mario, elaborate. Use that business acumen of yours to explain why it's a bad idea. +10 points if there's no derp in your explanation.

sommer89 wrote:
now that i think about it it sucks for the reason of not every one has a bluray player because ill probly destroy the blu ray disk. Blu ray's packaging stinks to i hate the small thin cases.

Yeeahhh... packaging is the least of your problems if you can't keep yourself from the destroying the BD. Maybe it'll be better if you mutter "Out, damned spot!" as you destroy the accursed disc.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
Well as long as there's no price increase I'm fine with it.

But I'm a little concerned that when I check my order's status it hasn't been updated. The link still redirects to the original Blu-ray release, which of course is now listed as "No longer available for purchase".

Give us a couple of days to move the orders around. It will get handled.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
The combos are a plus for those who still only have DVD players... but for people like me who have BD players, the DVD just sits there and gets absolutely no use ~_~

^^this

ah well, just gotta think of it as a limited edition incentive thing; buy the blu-ray, get a coaster free!

but seriously, i see this as a step in phasing out the dvd format. people who don't yet have a blu-ray player and buy these for the dvds will be more likely to go buy said blu-ray player if they now have a blu-ray disc sitting on their shelf. and once they have a blu-ray player, they will be more likely to pass up on dvds in favour of blu-rays.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
But for some of us it's not as simple as buying just a bluray player... we need to buy an HDTV as well. I do like this though, as it means I won't have to double dip when I do end up financially stable enough to purchase a HDTV and PS3. That will certainly give me more incentive to pick up Ga Rei Zero, although I was already pretty much set on buying the DVD LE box.
immortalrite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
xScar wrote:
The combos are a plus for those who still only have DVD players... but for people like me who have BD players, the DVD just sits there and gets absolutely no use ~_~

^^this

ah well, just gotta think of it as a limited edition incentive thing; buy the blu-ray, get a coaster free!

My thoughts are along these same lines. Personally, I didn't really have an interest in buying significant quantities of physical media until about a year ago when I first got a blu-ray drive for my computer, so I really have no interest in buying DVD versions of things I like so long as there exists a blu-ray version.

What I am curious about is how Funimation will package these combo sets if this is in fact going to become a common practice in the future. I understand that for a 12 episode series or a movie (case in point: Ga-Rei Zero or King of Eden), disk quantity is less of a factor, but it still makes me wonder; Amazon has the BD for GRZ listed as two disks and the DVD as three (which is pretty standard for a series of its size), whereas the combo set is listed as only four disks. Are they planning on shoving all of these disks into a single case or are they going to just ship both original BD and DVD cases together in shrink-wrap or something? I see the former option as being something of an issue for space-efficiency-minded people, although it is technically possible to maintain the same dimensions of a single-disk BD Elite case even with three disks inside (they did this with my Beauty and the Beast BD/DVD combo). This issue would be doubled when it comes to 24-26 episode-long series which are usually shipped as three-disk sets for the BD and four-disk sets for the DVD, totaling 7-8 disks per set as opposed to 4-5.

*sigh* I wish Funimation would do more "Hey, Nice Package" blogs, particularly with these upcoming combo deals.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
What a minute, can someone explain to me how this is going to be done?

Last week when Ga-Rei 0 was announced Amazon had 2 listings on Amazon for Ga-Rei 0. One for a standard release and the other a BD. As of reading this I noticed that the standard ED is now a BD/DVD combo release. Now I need an answer to the following as this may be my first time encountering this when it's my time to buy.

-Will there be 2 sets of DVDs, ___ # of BD and __# of reg DVD?
-Will the disc be double sided? That's probably not possible but it doesn't hurt to ask.

The first time I've heard of this done was with the Honneamis (Bandai Visual USA) DVD. So I'm curious to how this is going to work and what I would be getting as a purchase. Not to mention how this will affect the current market of release or how things will be released in the future.
aeolus23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
The news kind of makes me wonder if there will be more of these re-listings on the way for the already planned and upcoming releases? Not that I'm complaining, but it does seem a little sudden for Funimation to change the dates in order to provide the combos. Though if they decided to suddenly combine the Summer Wars set, it would be well-worth the wait for me...

But regardless, I'm just happy Funimation is signaling some sort of change with how anime will be released in the future.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
This is a bad idea.
As other posters have suggested, perhaps you could explain your reasoning. Funimation is trying something different. Maybe it will work or maybe it won't; but we won't know until they try. It seems to me that if nothing else, this might decrease their packaging costs. As long as the price is the same for the consumer I don't see any reason to complain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3