• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Shocking Betrayals Out of Left Field

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prabb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Chaottic wrote:
Man by the time I saw the picture of spoiler[Kyubey] it was too late. You guys think thats gonna ruin the show for me now?

Nope. Everything about the little guy is creepy from the get-go. Just go watch the first three episodes on crunchyroll ASAP.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Strange poll... Dragonite (an actual dragon) instead of Charizard (the best known dragon, who isn't even a dragon-type) and no Chibi from Dragon Drive (one of the rare shows that is entirely about dragons).
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes, #1…I thought Anthy would sort of side with her brother in some fashion, but I didn't think she would do all of that. As a result, the scene and the shock were priceless, particularly with the literal metaphor of her stabbing Utena in the back…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Wait, absolutely no mention of the completely random and out of nowhere ending of spoiler[Panty & Stocking]? Guys, I'm crushed!!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
No great fan of dragons. I guess I could vote for Haku but I think of him as more of a river-god than a straight-forward dragon.
But something was sticking in my head... I just watched or rewatched something with a "dragon" in it that I thought I liked... what was it... what was it... oh yeah...
Hatori Sohma from Fruits Basket :wink:

He doesn't even turn into an actual dragon, and no I'm not agreeing with that whole "all dragons start out as seahorses, and only some gain the opportunity to ascend to dragon-hood" garbage. Personally, it'd have been nice if he turned into an actual Chinese dragon. I'd have loved to see how that would have turned out.

Sheleigha wrote:
Strange poll... Dragonite (an actual dragon) instead of Charizard (the best known dragon, who isn't even a dragon-type) and no Chibi from Dragon Drive (one of the rare shows that is entirely about dragons).

Strange indeed. As the self-proclaimed resident anime dragon expert here, Chibi not being on the list is entirely and incredibly unacceptable. D:
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, for once, I'm actually familiar with all of them on the list. Very Happy

Although, I don't think Griffith is that much of a surprise, unless one totally forgets the whole series is a flashback after episode 1. I would think the first episode kind of gives it away... Of course, you can say the same thing about Vicious. Actually... yeah, everything said about Vicious can be applied to Griffith as well.
Nico1924

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Et tu, Brute?

What is that suppose to mean? (If it's french for "And you, Brutus", it should be "Et toi, Brutus?")
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Nico1924 wrote:
Quote:
Et tu, Brute?

What is that suppose to mean? (If it's french for "And you, Brutus", it should be "Et toi, Brutus?")

seriously? its what Caesar said to Brutus when the guy stabbed him in the back
Nico1924

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Nico1924 wrote:
Quote:
Et tu, Brute?

I knew that Rolling Eyes I was asking because "Et tu, Brute?" is totally incorrect in french, so it doesn't mean anything actually Wink
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Nico1924 wrote:
I knew that Rolling Eyes I was asking because "Et tu, Brute?" is totally incorrect in french, so it doesn't mean anything actually Wink

They wouldn't have been speaking French, plebeian.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Nico1924 wrote:

Protip: Caesar was not French. As for what he was, well if you don't want to be a philistine anymore then go find out.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Heh, I just added this in last week's column of tearjerkers before I read this, but it fits here just as well: from Naruto, spoiler[ in which Yashamaru, the only person who genuinely seemed to care for Gaara, suddenly tries to kill him, and then tells him that he in fact hates Gaara and that no one ever loved him, not even his mother.]

Which spoiler[eventually was revealed to be a big, fat lie meant as a disguise for a mental test, resulting in another tearjerker (for Gaara when he had the truth given to him at long last.)]
Seriously, the characters in Naruto don't just shed tears -- they cry rivers.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Nico1924 wrote:
getchman wrote:
Nico1924 wrote:
Quote:
Et tu, Brute?

It's all Greek to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nico1924

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Nico1924 wrote:

They wouldn't have been speaking French, plebeian.

Quote:
Protip: Caesar was not French. As for what he was, well if you don't want to be a philistine anymore then go find out.

Ehhh are you people that stup**? I never said Caesar was french or anything like that, my gosh!!!!

Read again the article and you'll see that in the introduction, the author wrote "Et tu, Brute?".... And I just corrected the sentence, I didn't make any historic comment, just linguistic... Rolling Eyes
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
But you didn't correct the sentence, because it's not french. It's Latin. It's a Latin phrase meaning "You too, Brutus" or "And You, Brutus."

What I'm confused about is that you say you know that Caesar isn't French, and you know that "Eu tu, Brute?" is what Caesar said to the guy who stabbed him in the back... so why did you wonder if it was in French? I guess it doesn't matter, you have your answer as to what it means and what language it is in now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9