• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Always the World's Greatest

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Infernal Dragoon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I also agree the SEED movie was rather poorly done. Then again, from what I remember, the first half of SEED was rather boring to me (Probably because I was still trying to contain my anger from all the UC similarities).

But I also agree that the Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy was done better. Actually, the movies got me hooked into Gundam more than the series did. The movies cut out those "Mobile Armor of the Week" scenarios from the show, and just made things better in general. The original trilogy also benefits from the re-animated scenes, which I'm sure made lots of fans happy. The SEED movies, having been devised so soon after the series, doesn't get that added bonus. Not to mention the way the first and second movies in the original trilogy ended. They ended in points that I felt were perfect points.

Now I just need to hope the Zeta Gundam Trilogy is worthy of the series.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the original MSG yet. But I think compiliation movies would have been much easier for MSG because:

1) it was only 42 episodes
2) there was a good deal of material (MS/MA of the week, for example) that could be easily removed

Gundam SEED, on the other hand, is 50 episodes long, and doesn't have much 'filler' material. Pretty much everything is directly related to the plot and/or character development. Even the 'recap' episode is important as it explains the background of the conflict. This is slightly less true in the second half which has an obscene amount of flashbacks, particularly to a certain death scene.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
Hmmm...Shingu on the rental shelf? I respect your opinion,Bamboo. After all, you did turn me on to Saikano.(for which I am eternally gratefull). At least I can be glad you didn't deem it a perishable item.

Story aside,(which, by episode 16 is pretty interesting) it is the characters and how well they are portrayed that really makes this show a winner to me. By the end of vol 1, I couldn't wait to see what they did next.

Sure, give this show a rent. You just might get hooked. As a bonus, TRSI is very generous with the episode-per-DVD count.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
smutchi wrote:
Where are the "Tastes like: ..." comments? Sad
I always loved reading those, they were so funny!

Gundam SEED Movie I: Tastes like...you remember that scene in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation when Griswald cut into the family's delicious-looking turkey dinner, and the minute the knife touched the bird it kinda...shriveled open in a burst of hot air, exposing a dry, crunchy, underprepared mess inside? Oh, hey, I found the liver. Laughing

LMAO Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:45 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Gundam SEED, on the other hand, is 50 episodes long, and doesn't have much 'filler' material. Pretty much everything is directly related to the plot and/or character development. Even the 'recap' episode is important as it explains the background of the conflict. This is slightly less true in the second half which has an obscene amount of flashbacks, particularly to a certain death scene.

What Gundam SEED where you watching? You sure you were watching SEED?

I would think summing up SEED's thin plot and menial character development in a movie or two would be pretty easy. The show is only 20 episodes worth of real plot altogether, anyway. (And I'm being generous.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
coolGAL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
Well i haven't seen any other shows that where revierd but i have Kodocha and i think it is hillairious
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
smutchi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
smutchi wrote:
Where are the "Tastes like: ..." comments? Sad
I always loved reading those, they were so funny!

Gundam SEED Movie I: Tastes like...you remember that scene in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation when Griswald cut into the family's delicious-looking turkey dinner, and the minute the knife touched the bird it kinda...shriveled open in a burst of hot air, exposing a dry, crunchy, underprepared mess inside? Oh, hey, I found the liver. Laughing

That's what I meant, thanks! Laughing
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does the picture for Yugo look like a bootleg? Especially the gold foil DVD logo in the top right. Is that the official ADV R1 DVD case?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
Is it just me, or does the picture for Yugo look like a bootleg? Especially the gold foil DVD logo in the top right. Is that the official ADV R1 DVD case?

Here is what RightStuf has for the R1 DVD case:
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:

I believe that's the artbox cover.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If Gonzo was a punk band, it would’ve won a prize for the Best Cover Ever.

...and why do you need to be a punk band to cover something?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:

Wait, I can't tell whether she's talking about the actual DVD cover (which is awesome!) or cover as in "copy," as in Gonzo "covering" the Kurosawa film. Anyhow, I'm not in the punk scene at all so I have no clue, either. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:29 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
slickwataris wrote:

Wait, I can't tell whether she's talking about the actual DVD cover (which is awesome!) or cover as in "copy," as in Gonzo "covering" the Kurosawa film. Anyhow, I'm not in the punk scene at all so I have no clue, either. Confused

"Covering" the Kurosawa film.

slickwataris wrote:

It's kind of a joke. I mean, there's a LOT of bands and artists who aren't punk that cover stuff (more than there are punk bands, actually), but 1) I listen to punk 2) a lot of local punk bands get their start covering other people's stuff, at least in my area, and 3) there's a few punk bands that makes themselves famous just covering stuff, like Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:37 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

slickwataris wrote:

It's kind of a joke. I mean, there's a LOT of bands and artists who aren't punk that cover stuff (more than there are punk bands, actually), but 1) I listen to punk 2) a lot of local punk bands get their start covering other people's stuff, at least in my area, and 3) there's a few punk bands that makes themselves famous just covering stuff, like Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies.

Actually Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies is a side project from members of Nofx and Lagwagon who were already "famous." They didn't really need help to promote themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

slickwataris wrote:

Actually Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies is a side project from members of Nofx and Lagwagon who were already "famous." They didn't really need help to promote themselves.

You misread that. There are bands who are famous for covering stuff. Nofx is not famous for covering stuff. Me First and the Gimmies Gimmies is. As in, the band name is known for doing a certain thing, not the band members. It's like saying, "Tommy February6 uses librarian glasses and cheerleading outfits to make her image more famous"... when she's *plenty* famous for The Brilliant Green.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2