• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Watching Princess Tutu.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
is now replaced with a cute comedy-relief tot, who just reeks of Good Chibi-Usa from Sailor Moon SuperS.

She reminded way more of Chibi Chibi from Stars. Anime hyper

Quote:
Season 2 suffers from Eva Fan Syndrome, where there seem to be a lot more fans talking about it for the sake of talking about it than, y'know, enjoying it.

o_o

I don't think so at all. It wasn't really a mind-rape. It just had a lot of twists.
Kiniest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:42 am Reply with quote
I finished episode 13, and I appreciated the finale of season 1, if this is the finale of season 1. There was a good lot of foreshadowing there. Especially when Ahiru actually asked the question "What do I like about Mytho?" I think I'm beginning to look forward to whatever comes next.
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Season 2 suffers from Eva Fan Syndrome, where there seem to be a lot more fans talking about it for the sake of talking about it than, y'know, enjoying it.

Can't speak for others, but I found the second half a lot more engrossing and interesting than the first half. My eyes were glued to the screen most of the time, and I still have the same reaction when I re-watch it. The ending especially is always a very emotional experience for me, never a dull moment, which for me is the very definition of "entertaining." Not everything has to be cute and fun for me to enjoy something. I like being made to think and feel. I wouldn't call Princess Tutu deep, but the second season did make me think and, more than anything, it made me really care about the characters and want to see them spoiler[earn their happy endings].
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Kiniest wrote:
I finished episode 13, and I appreciated the finale of season 1, if this is the finale of season 1.

I am fairly certain that episode 13 is indeed the end of the first season, or at least the first cour - Japanese television seasons are strange Razz

The second season/cour/half is pretty obvious, since at that point the episodes are technically half the length of a standard episode. I'm pretty sure the DVDs all put two half episodes together though, so you have another 13 episodes to go.

And they are indeed 13 episodes of awesome.
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I do agree about your Edel comment completely. She is awesome and spoiler[her replacement was not that good ... but still not even close to as bad as Pique and Lillie].

I knew the show was trying to "educate" me about ballet, and that Edel was from Coppelia, but it took me a while to realize her music box was actually cranking out her theme from Coppelia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XSzpEWcFH8

Which I'll admit, puts it on the same level as all the stuff you learned about classical music on Nodame Contabile. Smile
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I did not know that. I have learned something new!

Princess Tutu did inspire me to learn a bit more about ballet though. Well, Princess Tutu and Black Swan, which are sort of fascinating to consider together since they are both based around Swan Lake but in very different ways.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I feel that Tutu can be deep on some levels....or at least deeper than magical girl shows aimed at the same audience tend to be?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I feel that Tutu can be deep on some levels....or at least deeper than magical girl shows aimed at the same audience tend to be?

I'd say that Princess Tutu is a [spoiler, again, that'd be telling] fairy tale that uses the whole magical girl aspect as an anime framing device. Just to draw viewers in; "First season's the magical girl show. We got 'em watching? Ok, lets get to work..."

There's magical girl Princess Tutu and then there's the girl named Duck. But the first episode comes out ands tells you there's really only duck. A duck who can become a magical Girl who can transform into a Magical Girl.

If it's not deep, it is at least duck.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Well, it is definitely an excellent magical girl series, which I think, is second only to Revolutionary Girl Utena.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I've just got to finishing episode 13 and I'm surprised it carries on only because it has seemed to have fallen into that spoiler["perfect ending category.]

I can see how it would and glad it does but I'm still not getting that feeling that I'm watching something "epic" - from the previous comments I look forward to the second half. I will watch the second half not expect anything as I worry my standards will leave me feeling let down.

Just to add that I hope I was not the only one who shed a tear at spoiler[Edel's final scene (I guess its her final scene as she does kind of burn to death).]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kiniest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
I've just got to finishing episode 13 and I'm surprised it carries on only because it has seemed to have fallen into that spoiler["perfect ending category.]

I can see how it would and glad it does but I'm still not getting that feeling that I'm watching something "epic" - from the previous comments I look forward to the second half. I will watch the second half not expect anything as I worry my standards will leave me feeling let down.

Just to add that I hope I was not the only one who shed a tear at spoiler[Edel's final scene (I guess its her final scene as she does kind of burn to death).]

I feel that this part of the series thus far has been the high in directing and theme, delivering power to a character who was otherwise to be a puppet. If the rest of PT is like that scene, I'll probably enjoy the rest.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:20 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Well, it is definitely an excellent magical girl series, which I think, is second only to Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Eh, Tutu beats Utena any day in my book...but I've never been a huge Utena fan....it doesn't even really come across as a magical girl series for me...and the character interaction and development is severely lacking...honestly, the only one I liked was the title heroine...and I still could not relate to or connect with her at all. I disliked the "romance" too...or lack thereof....and to this day, UtenaxAnthy still makes absolutely no sense to me either.

So.......yeah, Utena has nice visuals and music...but it's too much of a mindf*** for me to appreciate; the story and characters were too...all over the place.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
Well, each to their own

Chiibi wrote:
honestly, the only one I liked was the title heroine...

Smile You shouldn't like the other characters, I'm quite certain that they were not supposed to be likeable.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
It was a slow but continuous process for me that made me fall in love with the show, its characters (all of them), and, in the end, every single frame of it. There was no one defining moment, only several smaller ones that I came to appreciate even more the second time watching the show.

There's this wonderful comment on the DVD (that finally arrived from the states yesterday weeks after ordering, off to go watching a third time Wink ) by the creator that sums up exactly why this is such a wonderful show to me. While there are no real spoilers, it might give away something of the direction the show is going to take, so I put it under spoiler tags just to be sure.

spoiler["When exactly do adults stop speaking of their "dreams for the future"? Perhaps they're buffeted about by and swept up in the currents of reality, they lose things that are precious to them, and they become so exhausted by this happening over and over that they stop being able to have those dreams. Perhaps they stop dreaming because they're too able to imagine their tomorrows. That precious something that we've begun to forget - I want to remember it again. Maybe my search for it was what gave birth to this story."]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
You shouldn't like the other characters, I'm quite certain that they were not supposed to be likeable.

...........oh. Anime hyper

I never really thought about that.

I guess I prefer series that have more likable characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3