• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Prize We Sought

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Tylor was shelf worthy until the staff developed brain cancer and decided to have him end up with cliche ass tsundere in Yuriko instead of the plucky Azalyn.

At least on the bright side, I hear in either the manga or LN he ends up with her.

Still kills me to this day such a great show and great character ruined because of that, and it confirmed to me he was just a lucky idiot and not playing the fool if had such bad taste.

I think it is a cliche that tsunderes win over people who often express their care for the hero. Well, the TV series had an ambiguous ending. I never watched the OVAs and I wouldn't mind checking them if I were recommended them.

I loved this show as a kid. I kept expecting Tylor to do awesome stuff but whenever I was about to be disappointed I then realized how he changed stuff. The atmosphere is also well done. The soundtrack once used famous melody that appear unfitting just to be make things comical.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
^Isn't Azalyn like 10 in the novels?

Nope. She's 16, and Tylor is only 20 at the start, so not a huge difference. I definitely prefer Azalyn over... everyone else. Yuriko was never a match for Tylor, IMO. OTOH, I do think that Dom was probably a better match for her, maybe. I guess Yuriko is supposed to be a more ideal woman from Japanese standards, and at least she wasn't a pushover. Uh... why am I going on and on about this? What's wrong with me? Smile

Oh, and I did like Shingu. Unfortunately, I lent it to a friend a COUPLE OF YEARS ago and he still hasn't returned it. I think I'll go hunt him down now. Twisted Evil
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I guess I am in the minority, I did not like Tylor (TV) much at all.
His character pops up time and again in various anime, the "Hey, dont worry, it will all work out...." despite his seemingly destructive disregard for logic, prudence and any behavior rooted in reality.
Gene Starwind of Outlaw Star is another who was so outclassed several times, only to be saved by dumb luck. I wanted to see his severed head flying off and landing in the corner noiselessly mouthing "Hey, dont worry, it will be ok..."

Liked the Tylor Ovas a LOT more.

Shingu is so very low key, but I found it entertaining overall.
I too thought it one of the most probable glimpses into the future.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Nope. She's 16, and Tylor is only 20 at the start, so not a huge difference.
That's in the anime. I've read that she is 10 in her first appearance in the novels and Tylor is closer to 26. I believe I read it in the booklet that came with the box set nozomi released years ago.

Edit- it also confirms the age difference on tv tropes(not the most reliable of sources I admit).
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
Glad to hear that you enjoyed Nura. I've been meaning to check it out because of the voice cast, but wasn't sure I wanted to take that plunge.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the other series mentioned but Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan was indeed entertaining along with the OVAs. Too bad the manga ended though...

Heh I also spotted a copy of Train Man on that shelf. Dat nostologia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Nope. She's 16, and Tylor is only 20 at the start, so not a huge difference.
That's in the anime. I've read that she is 10 in her first appearance in the novels and Tylor is closer to 26. I believe I read it in the booklet that came with the box set nozomi released years ago.

Edit- it also confirms the age difference on tv tropes(not the most reliable of sources I admit).
Checked the liner notes with my release, she was "around 10 years old" at the start of the original novels. Also of note, Tylor was aged down for the anime...he was 25 originally.
Quote:
At least on the bright side, I hear in either the manga or LN he ends up with her.
This, however, seems to be false, at least in relation to the original material. Said liner notes indicate that Tylor and Yuriko still end up together...which is probably a good thing considering how much sharper the age gap was originally between Tylor and Azalyn. Their kid gets a set of spinoff novels.

I need to revisit Tylor at some point, but it's definitely up there with my all-time favorites. I never could quite sell myself on trying Shingu...no one ever really seems to be that enthusiastic about it.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote

According to Japanese Wikipedia, her story goes from 11 to 16 in the novels, if it helps.

And about her love life: spoiler[she marries with a guy called Isamu (apparently, Tylor disciple), whose children will be the main characters of the next novels.]
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Tylor is my most-bought series. I have owned it on VHS in both subbed and dubbed formats and I have bought the series DVD sets 3 separate times. It fills my heart with Joy to see it getting recognition. I even imported all the novels even though I do not yet read Japanese. The Irresponsible Captain Tylor is also one of the few shows where I tend to look upon the characters as old friends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2