• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece at Viz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
And away we go again. Rolling Eyes

Steven thinks Pirates are better than ninjas? I'm indifferent and more power to him, but I thought those were fightin words around here.

Did any of you ever think, just for a moment, that Viz may not have the Japanese dialog tracks? I'm not saying for a fact that's the case, but it's something to think about.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:
BanDai selling Gundam the TV series dub on DVD only was understandable, but can't sell One Piece without Japanese audio track. LAME!!!

Not that I disagree, but why would it be okay for Bandai and not okay for Viz?

Personally both cases sucked, but the ones to blame aren't Bandai and Viz. The release formats were imposed on those companies by the licensors.

-t
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Did any of you ever think, just for a moment, that Viz may not have the Japanese dialog tracks? I'm not saying for a fact that's the case, but it's something to think about.

Actually, they do. Unless you can explain otherwise how they're constantly getting uncut pictures for their anime previews in Shonen Jump?
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Better Viz than Toei I say. Toei has some really awful dvd packaging and specs.

At least with Viz, the quality will be up to the usual standard, and who knows, maybe they can get a uncut release for OP working with 4Kids.
Hajime06

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but at the same time, 4Kids's main target demographic is not the otaku market, but little children as the name of their company indicates. It doesn't necessarily validate 4Kids making Viz release it edited dub only, but if you don't want to buy it then fine.

Last edited by Hajime06 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:
What are you talking about? Viz DOES care about anime fans. Their treatment of Naruto in terms of the dubbing and the DVD releases is what any fan would have wanted. And what the hell do you mean Naruto is "insanely inferior." It's good thank you very much. And those yearly releases are said to be 13-episode boxets. I find that much easier on my wallet and on my shelf than single 4-episode DVDs not to mention the convenience.

Take a look, and you'll see that Naruto is the only release getting release as a boxset from the get-go. Hikaruo no Go is 4 episodes every three months, and on top of that, edited, dub only Zatch Bell and One Piece. Doesn't exactly scream "we give a shit" to me.

Naruto, as far as I can see, is inferior, however it's not a 'bad' show and I'm not taking a snipe at it. All I'm saying is that really, it's unfair when you conisder that One Piece and Naruto are very close, yet their handling is at the opposite ends of each other.

Quote:
Steven thinks Pirates are better than ninjas? I'm indifferent and more power to him, but I thought those were fightin words around here.

Oh, Ninjas and Pirates are fine and all, I just think One Piece is a better series Smile

Quote:
The release formats were imposed on those companies by the licensors.

Is there any proof in regards to who, 4kids or Toei, might have imposed these sort of conditions? It seems awfully silly.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Actually, they do. Unless you can explain otherwise how they're constantly getting uncut pictures for their anime previews in Shonen Jump?

Viz only has what 4Kids gives them.

Of course they can get it unedited, anyone can get magazine quality stills from Japanese DVDs.

But for masters, to make a show with, Viz can only get what 4Kids gives them. Even Toei, which produced the show, was in the same boat. It's 4Kids' show (in America) and 4Kids decides what gets released.

-t
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Viz only has what 4Kids gives them.

Of course they can get uedited, Japanese copies from Japan, but you can't make a DVD from that (the quality would suffer) and even if they wanted to, they're not allowed to. It's 4Kids' show and 4Kids decides what gets released.

-t

But then 4Kids would have the uncut masters, meaning Viz could obtain them and release them on DVD.

Oops, logic hole. From what I understood, he was trying to defend 4Kids and Viz by saying that they might not have the masters, when they're already, undoubtedly within 4Kids' clutches.

Hajime06 wrote:
Yes, but at the same time, 4Kids's main target demographic is not the otaku market, but little children as the name of their company indicates. It doesn't necessarily validate 4Kids making Viz release it edited dub only, but if you don't want to buy it then fine.

You know, I'm getting REALLY tired of hearing that excuse.

One Piece doesn't do well with the kids. That's a fact. So why should they butcher to the dub to insane levels and then market the DVD release, which should be in concept the version for the real fans of the series, towards them?

4Kids is illogical and incompetent. That's it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
it's called money folks. Naruto= the next big money maker ala, DBZ, Pokemon, Yugioh, etc.

they know there's not a market for One Piece, a big one anyway.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
This new development just makes me LEAP with joy!

There, now my fansubs are justified. Happy?

Quote:

And hey, guess what that means? That's right, Billy! The only market they could possibly get any money from is the so-called "niche".

OOPS, looks like they screwed that up too.

Last edited by Yashouzoid on Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
it's called money folks. Naruto= the next big money maker ala, DBZ, Pokemon, Yugioh, etc.

Since when did being a consumer of anime products have to mean you're an all-understanding business expert and not just some schmo that could just BUY the things you want in a reasonable format regardless of the various american-japanese business-esque drama that goes on.

I have money. I wish to spend it on an uncut R1 one piece. What is so bad about that? Why can I not complain?
hikaru393

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
that's good to hear about zatch bell since i heard it's going to sell alot i hope so, but viz should have gone straight to uncut one piece since it's part of there shonen jump home video all that should be uncut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Treeloot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:23 pm Reply with quote
hikaru393 wrote:
if viz cared there would be an uncut version not shity 4kids crap.

Except 4Kids owns the rights to One Piece, Viz doesn't.

Yashouzoid wrote:
Viz said if sales for edit. Zatch are good, they'll release uncuts.

Not likely for One Piece.

And holy hell. Seriously. After checking the ANN page for this... 20 dollars? FOR THREE #$*!ING EPISODES!?

Oh my god. You're kidding me. 4Kids, you've got to be kidding me.

They own the rights to Zatch Bell.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
Except 4Kids owns the rights to One Piece, Viz doesn't.

Well, nice to know people only read, say, 5 posts before responding.

Viz could have negotiated for uncuts or not have released it at all. This is going to be such a failure that I'm sure it'll make them re-consider pulling this shit again.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:32 pm Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:
BanDai selling Gundam the TV series dub on DVD only was understandable, but can't sell One Piece without Japanese audio track. LAME!!!

Atleast with the Gundam, and the upcoming Bible Black release, (I think it was Black Bible) there were licsencing implications in which caused them to be unable to include the japanese audio. Which both WERE uncut.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8