• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Language of Elfen Lied opening?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angel_lover

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
If we are being totally 100% picky, "Kyrie Fons Bonitatis", by Nicholas Cibeniensis (14??-1531), is written in a mediaeval Latin dialect sprinkled with Greek. The phrase "Kyrie, ignis divine, eleison" is half Greek, half Latin.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
I allways skip past the intro because that song gives me the heeby jeebies! The "artsy" nakedness and Latin make it just creepy and weird to me - like some sort of freaky ritual or something.

It is "artsy", because it's art - specifically, it's an hommage to the paintings of Klimt (see the Encyclopedia trivia page for Elfen Lied for details).

Bruce Lee wrote:
I also get a little squeemish with the weird completely unnecessary underage nudity in the show as well.

"Weird", yes. It wouldn't be Elfen Lied if it weren't. But "unnecessary" - I beg to differ. Such nudity as occurs has a definite purpose. For one thing, it serves to underscore the fact that spoiler[the diclonius are considered no better than lab rats].

angel_lover wrote:
If we are being totally 100% picky, "Kyrie Fons Bonitatis", by Nicholas Cibeniensis (14??-1531), is written in a mediaeval Latin dialect sprinkled with Greek. The phrase "Kyrie, ignis divine, eleison" is half Greek, half Latin.

True, but ever so slightly irrelevant. The Greek phrase Kyrie eleison ("Lord have mercy") and its counterpoint Christe eleison, taken from the Eastern Rite, are tropes. They appear in mediaeval Latin sacral texts as interpolations or inclusions from a foreign language (the technical expression is that they are "farced"). Similarly, Hebrew phrases (e.g. sabaoth) are retained in the liturgy untranslated.

For a modern (secular) example, think of how the phrase per se is used in speech - often by people who clearly haven't a clue as to what it means (and often, no clue as to how to spell it). Or, for another example, take the phrase non sequitur.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Bruce Lee wrote:
I also get a little squeemish with the weird completely unnecessary underage nudity in the show as well.

"Weird", yes. It wouldn't be Elfen Lied if it weren't. But "unnecessary" - I beg to differ. Such nudity as occurs has a definite purpose. For one thing, it serves to underscore the fact that spoiler[the diclonius are considered no better than lab rats].

spoiler[I'm not speaking of the beginning of the series. I'm talking about Mayu and Nana who's nudity serves no purpose.] Although, I'm not necesarily a fan of either.

*edited for grammer

Last edited by Bruce Lee on Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:05 am Reply with quote
But Nana spoiler[is part of what I'm talking about, when I speak of the diclonius being treated as "no better than lab rats".]

As for Mayu, I confess that her nudity is repulsive to me, as well - but spoiler[it is intended to be repulsive. The vile treatment that she has been subjected to by her stepfather serves to establish her as a person who has lost everything that can give her any measure of safety and comfort... even the pet that she briefly bonds with is ripped away from her.

The safe, comforting place that she finds in Kouta's home is nearly alien to her experience, one might say, and her interaction with it is what makes her character so interesting. Certainly, the explicit nudity could have been glossed over - but would her backstory have had as powerful an impact, if it had?]

Bruce Lee wrote:
*edited for grammer

You might want to edit it to fix the /quote tag that is missing, too.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:16 am Reply with quote
Abunai is a genius Very Happy .. cool brotha .

To answer the thread posters question... yes..its in Latin lol Laughing
angel_lover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
For a modern (secular) example, think of how the phrase per se is used in speech - often by people who clearly haven't a clue as to what it means (and often, no clue as to how to spell it). Or, for another example, take the phrase non sequitur.

The very fact that, by convention, italics are used for these loan phrases demonstrates that we all acknowledge them to be in a language other than English. However, I do accept that the 'container language' in this case is still English, and that even if I pepper my English with bona fide Latin phrases ad nauseam, I'm still speaking in English per se. So, pax tecum Smile
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
abunai wrote:

The very fact that, by convention, italics are used for these loan phrases demonstrates that we all acknowledge them to be in a language other than English. However, I do accept that the 'container language' in this case is still English, and that even if I pepper my English with bona fide Latin phrases ad nauseam, I'm still speaking in English per se. So, pax tecum Smile

Precisely, just as, in the Vulgate, the "container language" for those Greek and Hebrew tropes was Latin.

BTW, when was the last time you saw italics used for loan phrases, except by people who actually understood their usage? Don't tell me that every time you see someone using per se in their random babblings, they use italics? Hell, most of the people who use the phrase have no idea of its non-English etymology. They just use it because it's the "flavour of the moment" in buzzwords.

Et cum spiritum tuum, pax.

- abunai
Walkyr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
The opening is beautifull and stays that, even though there are some mistakes in it. i followed Latin for a few years on school and it is a pretty hard language. especially the grammatics!
if you just enjoy the serie and the song, do you have to be so critical on every word of the lyrics? every one can make a mistake. Razz Cool
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Walkyr wrote:
The opening is beautifull and stays that, even though there are some mistakes in it. i followed Latin for a few years on school and it is a pretty hard language. especially the grammatics!
if you just enjoy the serie and the song, do you have to be so critical on every word of the lyrics? every one can make a mistake. Razz Cool

Het is geen kritiek. Het is taalkundig analyse. Wij bespreken de details van de taal, niet van de lied. En ja, is de Latijn moeilijk. Het Nederlands is gemakkelijker, vooral voor een Deen.

Having thus exhausted my very limited command of Dutch, let me say that I agree. All this is just linguistic nitpicking - the fact remains that Lilium is a beautiful song, and the OP sequence, with the Klimtesque paintings, is perfectly matched to it.

- abunai
Walkyr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:05 am Reply with quote
i couldn't agree more ^^

what is your original language abunai?
you speak dutch pretty well, just a few small mistakes Wink
did you figure it out yourself or have you taken a course?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:39 am Reply with quote
Walkyr wrote:
i couldn't agree more ^^

what is your original language abunai?

As I remarked, ik ben een Deen. Danish is my first language, with English a very close second.

Walkyr wrote:
you speak dutch pretty well, just a few small mistakes Wink

I'd be interested to have you PM me and point out the mistakes. I'm always eager to learn.

Walkyr wrote:
did you figure it out yourself or have you taken a course?

I figured it out based on my knowledge of related languages (Danish, German, English), and the (fairly limited) experience I've had with Dutch while travelling in the Netherlands. I've never had any formal training in Dutch. Notice that I stuck to short, simple sentences.

With a dictionary, I can make sense of any European language of the Germanic or Romance families. Don't start talking Hungarian to me, though... or if you do, don't expect me to respond until I've learned it, say in a month or two. Smile

- abunai
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
looks to me like you have finally gotten to what I was pushing for.

the words dont really matter, if they are right or wrong is of little consequence.

the fact that they are beautiful and make a beautiful song is what matters.
sweet_lavender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I think the woman who sang Elfen Lied opening theme song is japanese...I mean, there's a real Saint song...and I think the producers tried to make it a little different since copying isn't that great, or just to make the song more better. I don't know but this is how I think.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
Perusing this thread,* I am reminded of this webpage here where the author writes (in part):
Quote:
Presumably, the point of the song is that the “just man” (the kid who’s hiding the genetically engineered girl) has to undergo trials, while the mutant girl is being compared to Mary.

*Since this is a dedicated series discussion thread, I am not necroposting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2