• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Shin Megami Tensei IV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Geez, guys. There's, like, one short paragraph devoted to comparing it with the newer "Persona" games, not the whole review. And again, "Persona" and "Shin Megami Tensei" are part of the same franchise; seeing as how the last 2 "Persona" games are easily the most popular ones here in the US, its not exactly unreasonable to make some comparisons.

EastN3 wrote:
The fact that you compare them as if SMT is a piece of crap people put up with while waiting for another Persona is ludicrous.

You think an overall grade of B+ means he thought it was a "piece of crap?"
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm inspired to go back and replay Nocturne after I play this for a while. Smile
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Shin Megami Tensei If... > Persona > Persona 2 EP and IS > Persona 3 > Persona 4

All part of the same timeline and franchise.

That said, modern Persona games have evolved into something completely different, and it is irritating how many reviewers are comparing SMT IV to Persona.

I also think I am one of the rare ones who loves mainline SMT games AND Persona.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
1 Hour into the game and done with the Toutorial segment.

First impression. THANK GOD YOU CAN SURVIVE YOUR MAIN CHARACTER GETTING ONE SHOT KILLED.

Thank you. Thank you!
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:11 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Geez, guys. There's, like, one short paragraph devoted to comparing it with the newer "Persona" games, not the whole review. And again, "Persona" and "Shin Megami Tensei" are part of the same franchise; seeing as how the last 2 "Persona" games are easily the most popular ones here in the US, its not exactly unreasonable to make some comparisons.

If you want to get technical, Persona is considered a spin-off. Megami Ibunroku means "Side-Story of the Goddess" Persona was always considered a spin-off, and only the American versions ever added 'Shin Megami Tensei' to it for name recognition.
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
If you want to get technical, Persona is considered a spin-off. Megami Ibunroku means "Side-Story of the Goddess" Persona was always considered a spin-off, and only the American versions ever added 'Shin Megami Tensei' to it for name recognition.

Yes, I knew "Persona" was a spin-off of "SMT" (specifically "if..."), and that very few of the games in Japan even have "SMT" in their name.

That in no way changes the fact that that both series (along with "Devil Survivor," "Devil Summoner," etc.) are part of the larger "Megami Tensei" franchise. To me, a game would have to be as far removed as "Catherine" before a legitimate debate could be had on whether it counts as part of the franchise or not.
daveriley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Frankly I've never had a lot of interest in Persona because from the outside it looks like its focus lays with hipster high schoolers and their relationships. And that's the sort of thing that's never appealed to me thematically in anime or games.

Whereas MegTen games seem to be signifigantly more 'adult' in its protagonists and its subject matter.
I think it suffices to say that something doesn't need to have adult characters to contain adult themes.

Without trying to denigrate core Shin Megami Tensei games, and putting aside your use of 'hipster', I find considerably more relevance in the themes of Persona games, which involve discomfort with society's expectations of you, whether through social rank, gender, sexuality, than I do in Shin Megami Tensei's "us or them" mentality regarding law and chaos. Like either it's anarchy/libertarianism or it's authoritarianism and that's it, aside from a neutral path which is like "eh, I think things are good as they are, I guess." There's not a lot of nuance there, and it doesn't really interest me. Which isn't to say I despise SMT stories, but I am fairly neutral on them compared to Personas 3 and 4, especially 4.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Eh, count me in as someone who was annoyed by the review comparing it to Persona. While I guess I can understand why that was necessary, in terms of some people perhaps being curious about this game because of their connection, but the tone of the review made it a bit too obvious that the reviewer was also disappointed that it wasn't Persona. A B+ isn't a terrible score, but the tone of the review just sounded like someone who wanted a different game entirely.

Anyway, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the characterization of your party members. While from the very beginning it's clear that Walter and Jonathan represent Chaos and Law (that's not even a spoiler), the way it actually comes about seems decently natural. It's true that every moral choice blatantly polarizes them more, but the very fact that they needed to be polarized in the first place strikes me as meaningful. Their opinions develop over the course of the game. They also get along a whole lot better than you might expect. I think the game does a pretty good job at showing both sides as perfectly reasonable points of view (unlike, say, Mass Effect where you choose between being a saint or an asshole).

At least, spoiler[they seem reasonable until the game forces you to take either one of them to an absurd extreme, to the point where blowing up the world to avoid making a choice starts seeming like a valid option.]
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I think what annoys me the most about ANN's review's comparison to Persona is A) in in that front page box blub (you know, the only thing that most people are going to read) that might as well say 'if you're looking for the next Persona you won't find it in this game that is not a sequel to Persona' and B) how about draw some comparison to freaking Nocturne? You know the semi-popular game it's actually a sequel of.

Anyway. I've sunk about 10 hours int SMTIV so far and am having a blast. I love the setting, and the gameplay is like a perfect melding of Nocturne and Strange Journey. Which is what I was hoping for.

Does anyone else find the game quite a bit... Easier then previous games? Dying seems to be significantly less of an issue this go around. Especially since I can keep pumping Play Coins to continue into it at no real cost.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
And here I thought this image was a joke and making fun of strawmen critical reviews, but apparently it's true and various sites are saying those kinds of things looking around on IGN and the like. That's... saddening.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
And here I thought this image was a joke and making fun of strawmen critical reviews, but apparently it's true and various sites are saying those kinds of things looking around on IGN and the like. That's... saddening.

There isn't a *facepalm* big enough.

I think the worst comments are the ones complaining about the 2D sprites. 2D sprites own, philistines.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Hahahahahahahahaha! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing You take IGN seriously?! Are you insane!?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I get most of my 3DS reviews from NintendoLife. They're Europe based, but they know what is what.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Where? That image dosen't actually cite where the quotes come from.

I mean the ign review dosen't even say anything about Persona. Just about the sometimes drab look and story, which dosen't seem that crazy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
Also I want to add, I love when reviewers say "people burned out on the series" when the franchise only has a handful of mainline games.

There are four mainline SMT games. Four. Over the course of 20 years. How can one possibly be burned out. All the other spin off games play differently. If you like SMT 1 - 3 , how could you possibly be like, "Oh man that is enough for me."

It's like people who complain about Zelda games even though we only get a new Zelda game every 5 years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3