• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director James Cameron: Avatar to Get Sequel Trilogy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Kevelinu wrote:
Okay, so I know nothing about this, so help me clear my confusion please.
As far as I know, Avatar is a movie with real actors, so why is this a news on the ANN? Did I miss something and this is also a Anime? But this guy isn't a Anime director?! I don't understand...

because he also plans on directing a live action adaptation of a manga, and the Avatar movies affect that. it's mentioned in the article
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
The Avatar movie made $2.7 billion box office, what do ya guys expect? It's like an anime selling half a million videos - what do ya expect the anime studio to do? That's why I said it's like the Rebuild of Evangelion movies all over again. Heck, here's Wikipedia's quick summary about it:

• Anno initially began work on Rebuild films in the fall of 2002, spending nearly six months on pre-production before being delayed by various other projects (such as Cutie Honey, the Re: Cutie Honey OVA, and even a few movie roles).[6] This included watching the entire original series back-to-back.[7] In the December 2006 issue of Newtype, Anno revealed he was happy to finally recreate Eva "as he wanted it to be" in the beginning and that he was no longer constrained by technological and budget limitations.[8]

The release schedule of the Rebuild movies has experienced many delays, with the first film pushed from its original summer release date to fall 2007, and the second film's release date shifted from 2008 to summer 2009. The third film, initially announced as a simultaneous release with Evangelion: Final in the summer of 2008,[9] was released in the fall of 2012 (with the final film's last announced for a later release date).[10] The issue of Enterbrain's OtonaFami magazine was revealed that Evangelion: Final is slated for the "Winter 2015" release, but the film's website is still revealed without a release date.[11]

Sounds familiar? T'was supposed to be 3 movies, now it's 4 movies - just replace Anno with Cameron and Eva with Avatar and the dates.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Sounds familiar? T'was supposed to be 3 movies, now it's 4 movies - just replace Anno with Cameron and Eva with Avatar and the dates.

Actually, it was always going to be four films. It was just that 3 and 4 would be a double feature; back to back films and shorter. Think of it like End of Eva. The film's comprised of "Episode 25" and "Episode 26", similiar to how the original plan for 3 and 4 would be comprised of Rebuild 3 and Rebuild FINAL.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Actually, it was always going to be four films. It was just that 3 and 4 would be a double feature; back to back films and shorter. Think of it like End of Eva. The film's comprised of "Episode 25" and "Episode 26", similiar to how the original plan for 3 and 4 would be comprised of Rebuild 3 and Rebuild FINAL.

You are correct about that, but for practical purposes, they were still gonna be released on the same date, so if they're gonna call it 2 double-billed movies or 1 King Kong-size movie, it wouldn't had made a difference to the audience.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for the James Cameron Battle Angel Alita movie since I was 18.

I'm 29 now.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Of course! As if we all don't need to get preached at by the film's annoying anvilicious message enough, we get three more films showing how Na'vi = good and humans = bad!

I mean geez, where can you really go with three sequels for Avatar?

As for Battle Angel being delayed yet again, I will be lucky if I was alive to see it if it ever comes out in our lifetime.

Oh, that is any easy one. You can go quite far. As far as we know, the Navi aren't space flight capable. While us evil humans are. Naturally, we humans are not going to take getting kicked off the planet, by the local natives kindly. Especially, not after spending all that money to establish the mining colony, with its major security forces. So the question is, are we going to nuke the planet from orbit, unleash biological warfare agents into the atmosphere or water supply, and/or do it the hard way with superior ground and air units. The Navi response will be the most interesting part of the movies.

As to Battle Angel Alita, you may be right, hopefully you are not.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
By now, I've just accepted we probably are never going to get the movie, and it will be a pleasant surprise if the project moves forward at all. (Though I do maintain, that it's so very much up his alley, and would probably be a good movie, if not a faithful adaptation).

Now I'm more interested in how the Avatar sequels will be received, can it actually hold up as a franchise, or is it just one of those things that was a flash in the pan of the time.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Nah, Tars, there's probably some stupid contrivance where all of those are impossible and the only course of action humans can taken are small under-armed landing parties of greenhorns and your ubiquitously evil PMCs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2