• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Jormungand's English Voice Cast, English Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
And when did lee do Bulma?? if you mean from dragon ball then jeez idk what land you live in

She did indeed voice Bulma (or rather, "Lena") in the very old, obscure Harmony Gold dub of Dragon Ball.

But no, she didn't sound anything like Monica Rial's take on Bulma.
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I have not watched this show, but my friend tells me good things. Now that I see Shelley Calene-Black in the cast I will have to watch.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
And when did lee do Bulma?? if you mean from dragon ball then jeez idk what land you live in

She did indeed voice Bulma (or rather, "Lena") in the very old, obscure Harmony Gold dub of Dragon Ball.

But no, she didn't sound anything like Monica Rial's take on Bulma.
Embarassed Well i guess that was when i was like 2 or 3 years old:P was born in 85 but that be why i did not know that anyway lee still did not sound like Monica
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:
getchman wrote:
now that's a very solid cast. And I don't believe it, no Monica Rial. Unless it turns out she's Chinatsu

Good. She's like a failed hybrid of Michelle Ruff and Wendee Lee, though she's not as good as them.

Again, she sounds NOTHING like them. Rolling Eyes

Both Rial and Lee were Bulma and they weren't too different sounding, both are similar. From the 90s-2000s, Lee was to go to girl for dubbing. From 2005-. Rial was the go to girl. She's like Michelle, since she can also play characters with a lot of range.

Yes, she has a lot of range, but when people say that they sound nothing alike, I think they're talking about their most common voice(s).

And Wendee and Monica are in totally different environments nowadays. It may only seem like Monical is being used more because Geneon and Bandai Entertainment are gone. All that's left of the major dub-providers are FUNimation and Sentai. Both in Texas and both employ Monica.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
So what is this anime about. I've heard of it. But the title makes me think of gigantic worms...
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I had almost forgotten about this series; I was starting to think that Funimation was going to keep it in Streaming Purgatory.

I can't say that I'm looking forward to this. I just couldn't suspend disbelief to get into this one: I couldn't accept that the spastic, vacuous (and mannish) white-haired girl was the leader of some elite gun running group. The interaction between her male mercenaries and her was akin to the relationship between the "popular girl" in high school anime and her cadre of male toadies (eg: Garden of Words) and that was just absurd; don't expect Black Lagoon from this.

Which brings me to my biggest issue of the show: the show doesn't know how to strike a balance between its absurdity and its seriousness.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:26 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
getchman wrote:
now that's a very solid cast. And I don't believe it, no Monica Rial. Unless it turns out she's Chinatsu

Good. She's like a failed hybrid of Michelle Ruff and Wendee Lee, though she's not as good as them.

uh just to wonder what is your prob with rial?

give unless tempt Funi to have appear in this series give they pull the trigger bring rial in anyway on it?

besides give doing compare between rial, lee, & ruff voice give big difference been more texas dubs in recent years.

give califorina dub is back in action yet compare the 3 wendee got more voice with rial 2nd behind her & ruff being 3rd.

lee is veteran voice still doing it give in her 50s & yet rial in mid 30s.

besides unless you Funi bring lee to do anime or want see them in same anime together oh yea that would fandom go YES.

overall if rial appear in jormungand in anyway just accept it.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
So what is this anime about. I've heard of it. But the title makes me think of gigantic worms...

Here's a rundown of the plot (SPOILERS):

1. Her name is Koko

2. She is loco.

3. I said "Oh, no!"

It's all streaming on Hulu, or Funimation-- whichever you prefer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
KLAC wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:
getchman wrote:

uh just to wonder what is your prob with rial?

give unless tempt Funi to have appear in this series give they pull the trigger bring rial in anyway on it?

besides give doing compare between rial, lee, & ruff voice give big difference been more texas dubs in recent years.

give califorina dub is back in action yet compare the 3 wendee got more voice with rial 2nd behind her & ruff being 3rd.

lee is veteran voice still doing it give in her 50s & yet rial in mid 30s.

besides unless you Funi bring lee to do anime or want see them in same anime together oh yea that would fandom go YES.

overall if rial appear in jormungand in anyway just accept it.

I may claim to a be "neutral fan" but in actuality, I'm not too keen on VAs, outside of California. I like a few from Vancouver, but other than that, I'm not too hot on a lot of VAs. Same goes for dubs. Like a few from Vancouver, but LA's where it's at. Can't stand the majority of dubs from Texas and New York has yet to make a good dub.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
So basically, all you like are Animaze dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
So basically, all you like are Animaze dubs.

Animaze, a few Bang Zoom, New Generation Pictures and a few others.
Sneakybeagle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
yeeeeeeeesssss!!!! so freakin psyched!!!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Animaze did make some pretty amazing dubs, though it also had some stinkers.

But Funimation's grown on me. I consider Baccano's dub right up there with Animaze's Cowboy Bebop and Big O dubs and Eden of the East, Darker than Black, Summer Wars, Casshern Sins, and other Funimation dubs are quite good.

I love Monica Rial, but she doesn't need to be in everything. I'm kind of glad that they're using some folks who aren't in everything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Baccano! is one of my fave dubs. Not many of that quality out there, and I'm talking over the course of at least 2 decades.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Been waiting for this!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3