• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Kujian Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:55 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
To the contrary, I'm overjoyed at this. The Genshiken manga is continuing, so that story is going on, and now we get what should be a great sendup of anime conventions, since the whole premise is that the anime only exists in anime world.

Yes, I must agree completely.

Since the last annoucement, I was holding off on getting the manga; but now I can totally splurge on getting the continuing Genshiken storyline.

And just off of several random episodes, I wanted to see more of KujiUn. It looks like a fun show, plus you'll have the added experience of knowing what the Genshiken club has seen. (And a little more insight to their conversations about the show).

Quite an negative knee-jerk reaction; that's not the sentiment I've usually read about. Most posts I've seen actually thought KujiUn was a nice distration worthy of more screen time. Well, hopefully some more "KujiUn TV?! Sweet!" peeps will post.

All in all, I get to go buy more manga; and get ready for more Kujibiki Unbalance.
greenwood

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:20 am Reply with quote
I'm really really disappointed at this news. I'd have to say that I was looking forward to a new season of Genshiken more than just about any other series out there.

What's worse is to get the news that it WOULD be coming out for another season, only to find out later that that's not the case. I feel like a kid who just had his birthday present returned to the store. sigh.

I'm not really a fan of KujiUn, so finding out that they'll be making more of those instead of Genshiken is really a kick in the gut.
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote
man....no love for Kujian?

I loved the OAV extra from the Genshiken DVDs and was hoping it was full TV series....

guess i'm the only one....LOL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Grico

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote
Kujian was nice enough extra but it seems to me hard to sustain as any sort of "real" story or "good" parody. Genshiken has a good grounding of potential stories in the manga and some sort of actual momentum. What exactly do you do with Kujian? Restart it from the beginning of the story? Then everyone knows where it is basically going? Or do a sequel to the action which we only saw a fraction of? Genshiken was much more a a unique series then Kujian was. And perhaps most annoyingly if it was season 2 of Genshiken you would probably got 3 episodes of a sequel the Kujian or some other parody series. It would be nice if they did new Genshiken episodes as extras this time around...
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
Gee, maybe they should just stop making anything related to Genshiken if you're going to be so angsty about this.

Did anyone miss that Kujibiki Fighter "doujin fighter"? This is merely another extension of the running gag that is KujiUn
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
ok , is their head filled with crap? i was so looking forward to genshiken, then they cancel it and insted decide to make complete series out of a small gag in genshiken.

arrgh, i was holding bakc on buying the manga, but i guesse i'll just go with the manga then, I prefared the anime thought Sad
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:29 pm Reply with quote
This prob a reflection of the "moe" trend in Japan. It would make sense that an anime spinoff featuring cute girls (KujiUn) would be more popular than the second season of an anime featuring adults (Genshiken). Anime is primarily a Japanese market after all, so don't get too upset over this.
dentedonion

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
:sigh: But geeky/sorta realistic otakus are fun to watch....they have better adventures then any other lame old spin off is bound to have.

:sits in a corner and pouts:

You know, i was holding off on the manga so i could watch what happens in the anime too. Maybe it's just a big joke and they'll come out later and say, "surprise! we were just kidding! This is really Genshiken 2 in disguise!!!!" or not..... Crying or Very sad
BigFire

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
To the contrary, I'm overjoyed at this. The Genshiken manga is continuing, so that story is going on, and now we get what should be a great sendup of anime conventions, since the whole premise is that the anime only exists in anime world.

The manga is over, finished, done.
aorta

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
dentedonion wrote:
Maybe it's just a big joke and they'll come out later and say, "surprise! we were just kidding! This is really Genshiken 2 in disguise!!!!" or not..... Crying or Very sad

Or one of the KujiUn characters starts reading a manga called Genshiken Laughing
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
The fact that people want to see more of a "show" that was probobly intended to poke fun at the generic, cliche-ridden marketing gimmicks otaku blow hundreds of dollars on just shows how pathetic some people are.
RDespair

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Then call me pathetic, although I don't see what's so pathetic about enjoying a good parody. I bought those DVDs for Kujibiki Unbalance. The fact that they had Genshiken episodes on them as well was just a really nice bonus that made it easier to justify spending so much money on a single episode. Seriously, if they had taken all the Kujibiki Unbalance bonus episodes and stuck them on a seperate DVD and sold that, I wouldn't have bothered with the Genshiken DVDs at all.

Although I do feel sorry for everyone who wanted more Genshiken, I feel nothing but excitement for the thought of a full fledged Kujibiki Unbalance series. Admittedly, they could mess it up, but I'm going to be hoping for the best (maybe utilize a system similar to the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya where they jump all over the place instead of playing the episodes chronologically). Mushrooms!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jcflip80

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
First of all, most of us do not have the right to complain since this show was not made for us, but for the viewers in Japan who watch the commercials that go with the anime. Let me remind you that the ratings for Genshiken Season 1 in Japan were HORRIBLE (maybe due to its bad time slot?) and I for one was surprised that news of a Season 2 was coming out at all. Of course, I'm as dissapointed as most of you guys about this as I loved the comedy and memorable characters of Genshiken. However, I do know that production companies do not put up the vast amount of money for any anime series for on "hunches" and there must have been some positive feedback from Kujibiki Unbalance. Maybe they felt that a spin off would yield more attention from the japanese audience, who knows? What is clear is that the American audience or non-Japanese audience (the ones who buy the American distributed DVD's and more importantly those who just download the fansubs) really do not have any power in this matter.

P.S. Kujibiki Unbalance SUCKS!!!!!! Long live MADARAME!!!!
smoochy

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I really don't care. The manga is much, much better than the anime. I hope that Kujibiki is good though, cause if they have to do it, might as well make it worthy of Genshiken's obsession with it.
Necrontry

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad they're not continuing the series. I'm hesitent about Kuji-un as a full series. I can see them easily making it to something everyone would hate. However I did like the OAV episodes so maybe the series would be good.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4