• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop: Japanese Manga Licenses to Revert to Owners

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
This is good news in my book because it means other companies can rescue choice titles more quickly than if TP had chosen to hang on to the series until the licenses expired. Nice to see something good come out of a bad situation.

Snatching up all my favorite series. On a side note: I'm happy Maid-sama! got up to its 7th vol. before this happened since it completed a story arc. I'm hoping Peacemaker Kurogane, Loveless, Happy Cafe, Maid-sama!, and a few other TP series get rescued. If DMP are the ones to get the ball rollin', I'm all on board! They've had some ups and downs but I love Alice The 101st and a handful of their other series.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

I'd make a pretty safe bet on Viz picking up Maid-sama!, as well as Fruits Basket. (Viz really dropped the ball on not licensing those two, barring whatever potential circumstance we may not be privy to.)

I was thinking it might be because Maid-sama and Fruits Basket are not publish by either Shueisha or Shogakkukan; both series are publish by Hakusensha. Though as I check right now, Viz do have quite a few titles publish by Hakusensha (La Corda D'Oro, Descendants of Darkness, Hana-Kimi, Skip Beat!, etc).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:59 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, there's not enough money or manpower going around to afford most of those licenses.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote
Fingers crossed for Deadman Wonderland. Also, I wouldn't mind someone actually picking up Kingdom Hearts...

I wish KodanshaUSA would publish Rave Master too, but I think they are only publishing the last 3 volumes as an omnibus, right?

Last edited by Sakurazuka_Reika on Wed May 25, 2011 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote
Please, please let some publisher rescue Saiyuki... Maybe even Saiyuki Gaiden? I've given up hope on Dazzle and The Good Witch of the West, and I've become desensitized to DN Angel never ending, so that's the main series I'm still hoping for. Gakuen Alice is probably too long for anyone else to even consider, sadly...

But come on, Viz! Rescue The Secret Notes of Lady Kanoko! It'll fit right in with the other Shojo Beat titles! I'd tack on Alice in the Country of Hearts too, but I don't think they'd have much incentive to rescue a series with only one volume remaining. At least Kanoko has a sequel they could mine as well.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:09 am Reply with quote
At this point, only a few series are guaranteed to be re-licensed, and a few of them Tokyopop has already finished.

Out of "possible pick-ups", I'd guess Deadman Wonderland (sales were fine; new anime), Chibisan Date (Hetalia author), Saiyuki (sales were fine), Loveless (sales were fine; slow schedule impacted it), and a few more. Do keep in mind that TP was apparently having issues with Ichijinsha titles such as Saiyuki, Dazzle, and Loveless. Apparently Ichijinsha was focusing on their Japanese releases and effectively shutting out the foreign licensing, which accounts for the slow release dates.

Personally, I hope that Flat and Totsugami will get another shot. They were never physically published, but TP's interest shows that they were expected to bring in some sales. And--because I mention it every time--The Embalmer. The manhwa Martin & John would be nice as well; I don't think many have heard of it, though.

As for Kingdom Hearts...The company licensing that would probably end up working with Disney due to character rights and all. If this is the case, Yen Press is probably the best bet because of their relation with Hachette.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 am Reply with quote
Farewell, Aria of my youth. Laughing So I'm guessing Aria is returning to unlicensed limbo, huh? With luck, YenPress will pick it up like they did Yotsuba, another previously ADV lost license.
sillyriri

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:01 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see at least some of their novel licenses rescued. There were a few things they published that I'd like to read, but were already out of print by the time I became interested, or I didn't want to start while knowing the rest wouldn't be published.

As for their manga, I wasn't really following anything that they've been publishing reccently, and most of the things I'd like to pick up (especially CLAMP's work) have already been taken up by different publishers. I regret not getting the last few volumes of Rozen Maiden, though. I kept putting it off, but now I can't find them anywhere; so I hope someone rescues that license.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:15 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping someone picks up Battle vixens and Samurai Harem, I don't want to see 2 incomplete series on my shelves.

I do hope Kare Kano and Ai Yori Aoshi get picked as well. Even though I have them already, if someone would license and release them again I would probably pick them up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Djisas

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote
I never liked the quality of their manga, the books have a cheap feel...
Taking for example Aqua that i bought, it lacks a couple of beautifully colored pages and translation seemed ok...
Now when i pick my ADV Aria volume 1, the leap in quality i apparent and they do color the two pages every volume also translation seemed better to me...

I was still planing to buy tokyopop Aria (its the only option) but gave up, the low quality feel and being left with an unfinished collection, i decided to go for scanlations, a shame though...
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:10 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Well, I went out and bought the rest of the Fruits Baskets and .hacks I was after. However, I'm still curious on .hack//GU novel vol 4... The crazy thing is it GOT PRINTED. It exists and has been photographed, since they sold 2 copies at their garage sale Anime hyper I want it so bad! I only have vol 1, but I'm reluctant on getting 2 and 3 just in case I'll never get my hands on 4...
But, it may have been printed as a staff copy, but never mass produced. That really sucks.

Didn't someone say it was released in Australia? What really bugs me is that it should have already begun printing sometime early to mid April to be ready for the early may release. With them officially closing their doors on May 31 they had a pretty big window to get these out and chose not to. Seems like they were going way out of their way to shut down as fast as possible, they must have been planning their closing for months now.

Nobody is going to license a franchise that has books readily available just to print one final volume. I'm afraid we're SOL on this one. Too bad, the light novels were a pretty cool reimagining of the game's story, lots of neat little twists on the characters.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:37 am Reply with quote
I fully expected this to happen, like where else could they go? Any new licence agreement will have to be re-negotiated so it's only logical that the people what gave TP the licence get their property back to licence to someone else. I just hope that those licenses were bringing in the dosh enough for that to happen. I'm rooting for Animal Academy, Gakuen Alice, and Good Witch of the West, for my daughter's sake.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who is still hoping for someone to pick up the Initial D license and continue it? There's currently 42 tankoban's and Tokyopop only released 32 of them. I know this was discontinued a long time ago but now with the offical dimise of Tokyopop in North America, I wonder if there will be any hope of someone picking this up.

There are some other titles I have been reading that aren't great but would like to see how the story pans out; Hanako and Ratman to name drop.

The only title that I can see someone picking up very quickly, would be Deadman Wonderland. I know that has been selling well and the Anime is getting great reviews and has become quite popular both in Japan and worldwide, thanks to the simulcast.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
Am I the only one who is still hoping for someone to pick up the Initial D license and continue it? There's currently 42 tankoban's and Tokyopop only released 32 of them. I know this was discontinued a long time ago but now with the offical dimise of Tokyopop in North America, I wonder if there will be any hope of someone picking this up.

Initial D is a Kodansha title so if it does get released again Kodansha USA will release it.
DQBunny

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Collectonian wrote:
Would love to see Yen Press pick up the long neglected Kino no Tabi light novel series. They've been doing quite well with Kieli and Spice & Wolf in terms of quality, so they'd likely do it well and it would fit in with their current catalog. And so far, longer series have not seemed to bother them at all. Would be nice if someone finished out the Chibi Vampire novels as well.

I'd love to see Yen Press do a license rescue of the Slayers novels. Tokyopop just barely released the first arc of the novels, and that was after fan pressure to get novels 7 and 8 released because they initially stopped after the sixth novel. I'd love to see novels 9-15, which contain original material that never got animated except a couple parts of novel 10, be released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4