• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Cancels Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians Limited Box, Keeps Regular Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh Funi really have been losing it lately
Too true. They've always had delays with their products but their delays lately have seemed worse IMO. They've been canceling parts of products lately (eg:this, Fujiko Mine artbook), their quality control has tanked (Sankarea debacle), their new website still has many of the flaws of the old (eg:still focused on social media nonsense, rather than streaming anime, first and foremost) and they've REALLY been slacking on the con front lately.

I guess that the blame for this rests in part on the shoulders of their "competitors" like Sentai Filmworks because if they were closer in size/clout with Funimation, if they could hold Funi's feet to the fire, then Funi wouldn't be able to be slacking off with impunity. Yet Sentai is choking on Funi's dust as their lesser moe-military shows and their ever-growing (groan) cache of quasi-BL titles can't touch Funi's offerings.

I plan on getting this solely for the dub cast. I buy this in the hope that Jonathan Klein will get more directorial roles and that Carrie Savage will be cast in more shows; Funi needs her back, they have no substitute for her greatness.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I suspect they kept making the anime just to support the line of figures associated with this series. I think they are in competition with Evangelion to see who can make the most figures of characters from the show.

Yeah, for a while Ikki Tousen was king as far as number of figures go. However, you don't see many new figures from the show these days; it's just about run its course. Eva is in no danger of being dethroned Very Happy .

It's too bad that this languished in licensing hell with Media Blasters while they were going through all their problems. I think had this gotten released back in 2010 or 2011, the fan base would have still been hungry for it. I'm guessing a lot of Ikki Tousen fans circa 2010 have moved on.

Anyway, I'll surely get this eventually. Ikki Tousen is no masterpiece, but I find it to be okay as sort of a grindhouse exploitation anime.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Bad idea, I normally only pre-order for art boxes. If there's no art box I'll wait for a sale or never buy it. I expect all new series from funimation to have a art box.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:10 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
Whatever, sarcasm doesn't work well in text and I think you expect too much of a smiley. Without your explanation, it would remain a rather pointless one-liner. You should be used to people not understanding you by now.

You're right. Apparently I've been giving everyone WAAAAAY too much credit. Rolling Eyes

Don't worry. I'll be sure to speak V E R Y S L O W L Y F R O M N O W O N. Razz Laughing

Just skip the jokes all together, we won't miss much Wink .
Sorrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
funimation has lost it! the web site new look same servers and issues and past issues followed over to the new site.

Also Funimation release schedule is anemic at best, One has to wonder at the health of the company.

I own many a Funimation box set, I would miss the company if it were ever to fail like Bandai-Entertainment did.

One also has to question Funimation never picking up the second season of Index while jumping all over Railgun second season and it being a spin off of Index.

Don't forget their going sub only for some releases.....And yeah was wondering about index...Index needs more love(and a season 3)...Same for ZnT here...I like to watch some shows in english as a combination background noise/eye break from subs...So I would LOVE it if some of my favorite shows got more love
Sorrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:10 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh Funi really have been losing it lately
Too true. They've always had delays with their products but their delays lately have seemed worse IMO. They've been canceling parts of products lately (eg:this, Fujiko Mine artbook), their quality control has tanked (Sankarea debacle), their new website still has many of the flaws of the old (eg:still focused on social media nonsense, rather than streaming anime, first and foremost) and they've REALLY been slacking on the con front lately.

I guess that the blame for this rests in part on the shoulders of their "competitors" like Sentai Filmworks because if they were closer in size/clout with Funimation, if they could hold Funi's feet to the fire, then Funi wouldn't be able to be slacking off with impunity. Yet Sentai is choking on Funi's dust as their lesser moe-military shows and their ever-growing (groan) cache of quasi-BL titles can't touch Funi's offerings.

I plan on getting this solely for the dub cast. I buy this in the hope that Jonathan Klein will get more directorial roles and that Carrie Savage will be cast in more shows; Funi needs her back, they have no substitute for her greatness.

I quote this as well because this is what reminded me of their severed partnership with rightstuf and didn't gen buy back funi as well?

Oh and at least I got some funi people up here at my local con this year.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:46 am Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
Whatever, sarcasm doesn't work well in text and I think you expect too much of a smiley. Without your explanation, it would remain a rather pointless one-liner. You should be used to people not understanding you by now.

You're right. Apparently I've been giving everyone WAAAAAY too much credit. Rolling Eyes

Don't worry. I'll be sure to speak V E R Y S L O W L Y F R O M N O W O N. Razz Laughing

Just skip the jokes all together, we won't miss much Wink .

Hey now, if a pun happens to present itself, I'm gonna capitalize on it.

It ain't MY fault if you don't get it. Wink Laughing
.Eckilsax.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:41 am Reply with quote
That's not a pun spaceman.

Could this cancelation be Funi realizing that this release is about half a decade past relevancy and everyone's already seen it subbed and moved on years ago? I blame Mediablasters for being incompetent fuckholes.
scriver058

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:38 am Reply with quote
Sort of off subject but since Funimation's recent struggles have been brought up, I'm starting to worry a bit about them Cowboy Bebop and Attack on Titan BDs that are due out from them in 2014. Though, I'd assume those will sell well and so Funi will do right by them, but idk...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:06 am Reply with quote
scriver058 wrote:
Sort of off subject but since Funimation's recent struggles have been brought up, I'm starting to worry a bit about them Cowboy Bebop and Attack on Titan BDs that are due out from them in 2014. Though, I'd assume those will sell well and so Funi will do right by them, but idk...
To cancel wasting money on a crappy wank fest, but to concentrate it on two quality shows in BD can only be seen as a move of positive common sense and I for one commend FUNi for it.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:39 am Reply with quote
Really anemic pre-orders I would suspect.

Still, it never looks good for a business to schedule something, take orders, and then cancel it.

Always you end up paying a price in terms of customer trust, not to mention the money spent on overall design of the LE, plus any setup costs and / or deposits paid to the pressing company.

Something had to have been seriously off for Funimation to decide to do this.

On a somewhat related note : I was in Best Buy yesterday and the vast majority of their Anime is now Funimation LE Boxed sets. Only a handfull of titles, but 5 or 6 boxes of each. Made it look like the Anime shelves were stuffed until you realized just what it was you were seeing.

Mark Gosdin
victor viper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:12 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
On a somewhat related note : I was in Best Buy yesterday and the vast majority of their Anime is now Funimation LE Boxed sets. Only a handfull of titles, but 5 or 6 boxes of each. Made it look like the Anime shelves were stuffed until you realized just what it was you were seeing.

How depressing. I rarely set foot in Best Buy anymore but the last time I was in my local store, the anime section was similarly grim. I can fondly recall strolling into Best Buy circa 2005 in any given week and finding basically every new-release title from ADV, Funimation, and Media Blasters on the shelves.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Really anemic pre-orders I would suspect.

Still, it never looks good for a business to schedule something, take orders, and then cancel it.

Always you end up paying a price in terms of customer trust, not to mention the money spent on overall design of the LE, plus any setup costs and / or deposits paid to the pressing company.

Something had to have been seriously off for Funimation to decide to do this.

Mark Gosdin

Well at least you're lucky your Best Buy even has that much Anime. Like my Best Buy I go to, I was actually surprised they carried From Up on Poppy Hill. The only other ones i've seen recently at my Best Buy were Bleach Volume 1 and Deathnote Volume 1 in the bargain bin which also had the Cowboy Bebop The Move / American Pop Double Feature.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
mgosdin wrote:

How depressing. I rarely set foot in Best Buy anymore but the last time I was in my local store, the anime section was similarly grim. I can fondly recall strolling into Best Buy circa 2005 in any given week and finding basically every new-release title from ADV, Funimation, and Media Blasters on the shelves.

When I first worked at Best Buy in 2007, we have an entire half aisle of anime. It was a 16 foot long section with four shelves apiece, and it was full. Like you said, you could find just about every new release from the big guys.

By the time I left in 2011, the section was cut to four feet and it was barely full at that. I stopped at a larger Best Buy a few weeks ago, and it only had two four foot shelves with just a hand full of titles. Of course, Best Buy has cut way back on the amount of DVDs and blurays they sell across the board. It's not just an anime thing.
GintokiThrowsDirtAtYou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I've never understood how this monstrosity got so many sequels, but it does have its fan base.

I so agree with this. Kenichi doesnt get season 2 instead it gets cheap ovas with rushed story, tenjo tenge doesnt get season 2 or remake BUT THIS GETS SEQUELS man give me a fuckin break japan
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5