• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: This Math Teacher Was Outsmarted By His Pokemaster Student

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm pretty comfortable with math, but sometimes I wonder if us Pokénerds aren't a little too enthusiastic.
sarroush

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
jlaking wrote:
Actually Razor Leaf can have a base of 40 if a PP Max or 3 PP Ups are used on that move.

The student wrote that. It says "Unless under the influence of PP Max or PP up, but drugs are bad."
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, it doesn't say "in the same battle, on the same opponent". You can easily cast 40 Razor Leafs if you stop at a pokemon center in between.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
WIN! Laughing

Kougeru wrote:
wth is a shuckle? /1stgener

Generation II Rock/Bug-type that has the highest non-Legendary Defense and Special Defense (They split up the Special stat after Generation I.) of any Pokemon.

I stopped playing after Gen 2 and even I don't remember this one
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
sarroush wrote:
jlaking wrote:
Actually Razor Leaf can have a base of 40 if a PP Max or 3 PP Ups are used on that move.

The student wrote that. It says "Unless under the influence of PP Max or PP up, but drugs are bad."

Easily my favorite part of the answer.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:
WIN! :lol:

Kougeru wrote:
wth is a shuckle? /1stgener

Generation II Rock/Bug-type that has the highest non-Legendary Defense and Special Defense (They split up the Special stat after Generation I.) of any Pokemon.

I stopped playing after Gen 2 and even I don't remember this one

They weren't in the wild. There was someone in Cianwood City who asked you to take care of it for them. If you kept its happiness high enough, when(/if) you go back, they tell you to keep it.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
WIN.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
sarroush wrote:
jlaking wrote:

Dammit, I shouldn't be laughing this goddamn hard at this. But as much as a smartass as he was, he's got a damn good sense of comedic timing.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:55 am Reply with quote
This is hilarious. Anime hyper

ColonelYao47 wrote:
Here would be my response to this student's answer.

"Correct...except I would feed my Bulbasaur Leppa Berries. Who says a Pokemon trainer can't go organic?"

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:41 am Reply with quote
Well this was interesting to read and see. This really made my day. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fennekin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
You guys do know this is fake right? Some guy just typed this out on Microsoft Word, printed it off and wrote the answer very badly. Do you honestly think a teacher would do this?
LinkSword

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Fennekin wrote:
You guys do know this is fake right? Some guy just typed this out on Microsoft Word, printed it off and wrote the answer very badly. Do you honestly think a teacher would do this?

A teacher who's not a bitter oldtimer living only for numbers, teaching a bunch of grade schoolers? Huh, why not? The base question is the same as with any other example, except this one will at least draw a few smiles.

It kind of sucks to see some people never had a teacher who made an effort to understand and get along with the kids he's trying to educate. Not that I'm implying this couldn't possibly be fake, but plain denying it could ever happen is just very sad.
rydia251

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
LinkSword wrote:
Fennekin wrote:

A teacher who's not a bitter oldtimer living only for numbers, teaching a bunch of grade schoolers? Huh, why not? The base question is the same as with any other example, except this one will at least draw a few smiles.

It kind of sucks to see some people never had a teacher who made an effort to understand and get along with the kids he's trying to educate. Not that I'm implying this couldn't possibly be fake, but plain denying it could ever happen is just very sad.

Yeah, I experienced this quite often way back in college and it is an effective technique for making dull subjects more engaging.

In a senior level macroeconomics class, the prof used the poisoned wine scene from Princess Bride as an example of game theory. Heads in the class perked right up. A friend had an organic chemistry prof who used alcohol and THC for a number of examples.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Hilarious!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
Now I'm pretty comfortable with math, but sometimes I wonder if us Pokénerds aren't a little too enthusiastic.

You know, everyone cites this Catch Rate formula as an example of complex math in Pokemon and it always makes me laugh.
1) No one cares about the catch rate formula; whatever the catch rate of a pokemon is, the steps you do to optimize it are well known and simple.
2) The only reason it even looks like that is because they wanted to take a simple probability (Catch Value out of 255), and break it up into 4 independent trials which come out to the same overall probability when compounded. This is so the shaking of the pokeball actually matters, each of those trials decides if it will break out at that point. It's stupid.

Shucks, now I've gone and talked about the math of pokemon on an anime forum.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2