• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Blazers/Yamato 2199 DVD/Blu-rays Offered With English/Spanish Subtitles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Dimlos wrote:
blaizevincent wrote:
Wait weren't these already released with English Subtitles support?
No.

Yes they were. At least the Japanese release. With all 7 discs...
^Article must mean this is a foreign license as opposed to a domestic Japanese release. As there's no other way to interpret this...?

A 'rerelease' of the Japanese one would have been a bit strange as the current prints are still available in qood quantity.

Edit; The article does mention at the end that Bandai Visual offered the original discs with English subtitles.

Only the Blu-Rays were subtitled. This will be the first subtitled DVD release available.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Wasn't an English dub made? And why is "Yamato" still subtitled as "Argo"? It's one thing to continue to call it Starblazers, but even in the subtitles for the Japanese version the ship will called "Argo?"

That's just spitting in people's faces.

Production IG commissioned Bang Zoom Entertainment to dub one or two episodes for marketing purposes, that was all.

There's no word yet whether they'll use the Argo nomenclature in the subtitles. If they're smart, they'll simply use the subtitles from the Japanese Blu-Rays. It would be foolish to do otherwise. But then, Voyager Entertainment haven't exactly done logical things with Yamato as far as international marketing goes in the last twelve months.

Voyager Entertainment never did anything logical with Yamato.

Even the movie boxset that got me into the franchise is pretty flawed, since the movies have terrible video quality and subtitle inaccuracies. (Love the interviews and history guides, though.)

Then they fired Tim Eldred, perhaps the greatest single ambassador for Yamato/Starblazers in North America.

They might as well raise the white flag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Then they fired Tim Eldred, perhaps the greatest single ambassador for Yamato/Starblazers in North America.

That was the most foolish thing Voyager did. Tim, much to his credit, continues to serve the international Star Blazers/Yamato fandom through his fan site.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm happy they just didn't scrap the whole thing when them getting others to pay for their dub idea fell though. They are not getting an order out of me before someone writes up a review for this release of this. For once I hope they are being cheep and use the extising English sub.

Have to go it's clasic series rewatch time.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Well I'm happy they just didn't scrap the whole thing when them getting others to pay for their dub idea fell though. They are not getting an order out of me before someone writes up a review for this release of this. For once I hope they are being cheep and use the extising English sub.

Personally I thought directly importing from Japan was worth the money, I enjoyed the series that much (then again, I planned a trip to Japan around being in Tokyo for the opening day of the final movie).

yamiangie wrote:

As in the 8:30pm Sunday night rewatch time Started up in the Facebook community?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I'd still hate if they used "Argo" in place of Yamato, but that's less of an issue than if they started changing people's names left and right. Yamato is a nationalistic anime made for the pride of the IJN fleet, nothing wrong with that, it's the same with how we jack off to the Missouri or the Constitution, but the point is that it's an entirely Japanese crew for a reason.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I hope the English dub is able to finish. I would love to see it, and it would be nice for the English voice actors to get the work.

I don't personally care if they use "Yamato" or "Argo" in the dub, but I agree that the subtitles should be as accurate as possible.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:

Personally I thought directly importing from Japan was worth the money, I enjoyed the series that much (then again, I planned a trip to Japan around being in Tokyo for the opening day of the final movie).

yamiangie wrote:

As in the 8:30pm Sunday night rewatch time Started up in the Facebook community?

I have a pathological hate of expensive shipping.

And yes it is the rewatch as stared at Cosmo DNA facebook page.
bhl88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
Argo reminds me of the time they named rice balls as jelly-filled donuts.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
yamiangie wrote:

yamiangie wrote:

I have a pathological hate of expensive shipping.

And yes it is the rewatch as stared at Cosmo DNA facebook page.

Depends on what your definition of expensive is. Amazon Japan isn't so bad if you buy multiple volumes at once - additional unit shipping is only a few hundred yen over the base cost. Plus Amazon is 25% off retail.

Meanwhile nice to see another fan doing that weekly viewing. Loved last night's episode Smile
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:39 am Reply with quote
I have a friend at work who will go nuts about this. He has fond memories of Starblazers from his youth, and he doesn't give two flips about the ship being called Yamato. In fact it being called the Argo will probably make him happier.

He also used terms like 'Japanimation' unironicly. You just can't help some people. *shakes head*

But its cool this is finally getting some domestic release traction. Personally I'm hoping for Japan accurate subs myself, because I'm a purest. But it makes complete sense to market this as Starblazers over Yamato.

Because we all saw how well that worked for Tetsujin 28. Confused
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:04 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I have a friend at work who will go nuts about this. He has fond memories of Starblazers from his youth, and he doesn't give two flips about the ship being called Yamato. In fact it being called the Argo will probably make him happier.

Until he sees "YAMATO" on every bulkhead, figurehead, duty patch, video screen and cargo container in the show.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I hope the English dub is able to finish. I would love to see it, and it would be nice for the English voice actors to get the work.

I don't personally care if they use "Yamato" or "Argo" in the dub, but I agree that the subtitles should be as accurate as possible.

Agreed. I'd double-dip for a completed Bang Zoom dub.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that Argo is not the name of the ship. At all. "Yamato" doesn't even sound somewhat like "Argo". It's like calling Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach "Bob Hastings". One is nothing like the other. It's not a translation. It's a completely different thing altogether.

There's zero reason why any part of a modern anime release should change the name of something so important because of... what? Nostalgia?

It shouldn't even be changed in an English dub.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Argo is not the name of the ship. At all. "Yamato" doesn't even sound somewhat like "Argo". It's like calling Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach "Bob Hastings". One is nothing like the other. It's not a translation. It's a completely different thing altogether.

There's zero reason why any part of a modern anime release should change the name of something so important because of... what? Nostalgia?

It shouldn't even be changed in an English dub.

Well I hope they made their calculations right. Cause I don't see a lot of anime fans wanting Yamato 2199 buying this "americanized" version. I can accept the title Starblazers even if it's completely stupid. But "censoring" the script and the freaking sub to suit what ? A 40 year old american version that nobody gives a crap about ? Not when Yamato 2199 is available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3