• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Plans to Build Statues Honoring Gundam and Zaku

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
^
You didn't read my post properly. I'll give it another shot.

The Zero wasn't amazing, it was a one trick pony whose deficiencies were covered up by both the experienced pilots who flew it and the ill-prepared hastily-trained American pilots who opposed it. Once the Americans figured out not to dogfight it and the Japanese lost the few men who could make decent use of it, the Zero's days of being a fearsome force were numbered.

Like I said, the Zero had a twelve to one kill ratio . . . for about a year. Then it was never a threat again. That the Japanese couldn't afford to properly upgrade it is merely a lame excuse.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

In terms of mobile suits the Zaku was absolutely weak, hence my objection to it and the point about the Gouf. I mean, the Japanese want to build statues of mobile suits, not Balls and Magellas, and the Zaku was only strong compared to those. So why don't they build a statue of a strong Zeon mobile suit from the One Year War? Choosing the Zaku over the Gouf or Dom would be like honouring the Hawker Hurricane over the later and far superior Supermarine Spitfire or de Havilland Mosquito.

I think what you are missing and are not understanding is that the Zaku is one of the symbols of the Gundam franchise. I understand what you are saying about the Gouf and Dom, but one of the points you are missing is that the Gouf wasn't mass produced. It had a short life span and only a couple were made. So most pilots who got them were ace pilots and of course they used the suit to it's max potential. Unlike the Zaku which was mass produced and any pilot received. With that being said, the Zaku still wasn't weak. In the hands of a good pilot it could do a lot of work. See Gundam 0080. Also I would like to add, that in the original series the Federation only had two other units, besides the prototypes on White Base - the GM and the Ball. And the Zaku was better than both those units. It wasn't until the Gunpla model craze that other Gundam shows went back and added a boatload more suits in the OYW.

dtm42 wrote:
Given that the Gelgoog was extremely powerful and that Char even piloted a variant, the continued love affair for the Zaku amongst Gundam fanboys is bizarre.

We agree there. I love the Gelgoog, and it's one my favorite suit from the franchise, and yes its' the most powerful mass produced suit of the OYW. But I don't believe it's that popular, probably because it didn't get a lot of screen time.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Oh, sorry, my bad. I just realized I was arguing with children. Now I feel really silly.

Wrong reasons, but at least the the feeling is correct. I guess that's something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2