• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Black Bullet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Brittney is legitly bad. She can't pronounce her characters' names properly in most of her shows despite being in the buisness for 10 years. She's an uncaring, bad anime voice actress. I don't watch dubs because most are terrible but I'll be very happy if she doesnt come near this

Dunno why people get too hang up on names. [...examples...] As long as it's not too unrecognizable but close enough.

The difference there is:

I mispronounce names of my foreign coworkers. My job is to design microchips. Learning to pronounce the names of my coworkers correctly is polite, but not part of my job description. Thus, doing it incorrectly does not make me "bad at my job", it just makes me boorish.

A voice actor's job is to speak. Pronouncing words correctly (and with proper emotional inflections) is their job. So doing it incorrectly does make them "bad at their job". (And boorish.)

Other people who have "speaking" as a job (say, sportscasters) tend to get names correct. Even if it means "call this 'Daisuke' guy by his nickname, Dice-K". (I have a coworker with a -suke Japanese name, which almost everyone pronounces to rhyme with "cookie". Makes me cringe.)

And it's not like Japanese is filled with phonemes that English speakers are unfamiliar with. Skip the "R/L" thing, and just use the English "R", and you're pretty much there. (We have "TS", we just don't start syllables with it, so that's not something new to learn, just a new use for something we already know how to pronounce.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:57 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:

A voice actor's job is to speak. Pronouncing words correctly (and with proper emotional inflections) is their job. So doing it incorrectly does make them "bad at their job". (And boorish.)

So some Japanese seiyuu are bad and boorish then?

Mikeski wrote:

Other people who have "speaking" as a job (say, sportscasters) tend to get names correct. Even if it means "call this 'Daisuke' guy by his nickname, Dice-K".

Approximation's fine.

Mikeski wrote:

And it's not like Japanese is filled with phonemes that English speakers are unfamiliar with. Skip the "R/L" thing, and just use the English "R", and you're pretty much there. (We have "TS", we just don't start syllables with it, so that's not something new to learn, just a new use for something we already know how to pronounce.)

As mentioned, something close is fine, but it works both ways.

Although I'd weep if ya guys try to pronounce some of my Chinese friends' original names. Laughing
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:33 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
As mentioned, something close is fine, but it works both ways.

Yes, and I grant a lot more leeway when going from a complex language to a simple one (pronunciation-wise) than vice-versa.

Hearing my own name as "mai-ku" or "mai'k", rather than as a single syllable, is acceptable, since my name does not transliterate into Japanese as-is. If the speaker is supposed to be fluent in English as well, then it's less acceptable.

enurtsol wrote:
Although I'd weep if ya guys try to pronounce some of my Chinese friends' original names. Laughing

Yes, a Vietnamese co-worker had a huge laugh trying to teach us how to pronounce "Nguyen" correctly.

Pronouncing "Nguyen" as "Win" (matching the phonemes you have in your native language) is quite a bit different from an English speaker not being able to get, say, "Sakura" correct. Or, really, any other Japanese word. Mucking up long and short duration vowels, or not caring about the subtle difference between Japanese and English "R" sounds? OK, that's fine. The wrong vowel sounds entirely, or syllable breaks in the wrong place, or accents on weird syllables? That's a pretty low-rent performance, if it's your job.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:06 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Skip the "R/L" thing, and just use the English "R", and you're pretty much there.

Actually, using L would be more correct, as Japanese natives never roll their tongues when they speak.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:15 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
Skip the "R/L" thing, and just use the English "R", and you're pretty much there.

Actually, using L would be more correct, as Japanese natives never roll their tongues when they speak.

It sounds more like an English "R", even if the tongue position that makes it is more like how an English speaker would say "L". That website seems to be instructions for "if you're trying to learn how to pronounce Japanese"... i.e. "don't get in the bad habit of doing the 'R' thing with your tongue."
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Hopefully you don't mean that in a Black Lagoon sense. But what else can it be but that as that is the only way that "she is a bro" computes Confused

I mean that she's a total bro, not a dude. Check out this bro-fist.

TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a bro Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Mikeski wrote:

It's not a "real" R sound but it sounds much closer to it than it does to L in the Japanese audio. So I have to side with using the R as "Rotten the Wizard", as it was in the Japanese track of Black Lagoon, would have been hilarious in the English (and also apropos as he was a rotten "wizard") and "Key-La" would have been horrible had it been used in lieu of "Kira" in Death Note's English dub.

The incorrect pronunciations of names don't really bother me in the dubs. What does bother me is when all of the actors don't employ the same mispronunciation. I'm not sure that there are any 2 people at Sentai who pronounce "Nagisa" the same way Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2