• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeroicRebellion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
HeroicRebellion wrote:
One particular part I love about your review is the last 2 pictures brining in a extreme reveal. (those of you who don't know read the manga Chapter 42)

You think it's a spoiler? The Colossus Titan shows up in the very 1st chapter, so you pretty much know it's gonna show up again...

alright, you forced me to do this. spoiler[It's true that the Colossal titan returns, but this was after it was revealed that his true identity was none other than Bertholdt Fubar, Eren's former comrade who preferred to be in the background]
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
The twist, although kinda cool, is also really dumb and disappointing. It would be like if in the game Titanfall some of spoiler[the Pilots - nimble and acrobatic soldiers with anti-mecha weaponry - could actually turn into Titans themselves to fight other Titans. That would be really unnecessary and against the game's initial premise, which is that the Pilots are fast but weak and the Titans are strong but slow and each must use their advantages to win a fight to the death. Same goes with Attack on Titan. It was compelling how the out-gunned humans had to fight these horrific beasts, but then some humans got transformations. Not only did that lose the initial tension, but it made the rest of the humans cannon-fodder. Basically, unless you are a titan yourself, or have plot armour like Levi and Mikasa, you might as well not even turn up for battle because you're just gonna get splattered or eaten (or splattered then eaten).]
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
In terms of the politics of Attack on Titan, I always found it telling that the term the author uses for the military police (who are among the many human villains in the series) clearly comes from the Kempeitai, the military police of the Imperialist Japanese Army. I called that they were corrupt/evil the moment I heard the name.

I'm not a huge fan of the manga, mostly because of the art, and I think this is one of the rare examples of an anime adaptation outstripping its source, since it also shuffles some events around and even adds in good character moments. I'm still reading it, of course, because I'm addicted to the mysteries, and I do like the characters, though I will admit they're not the deepest. I think of them as "bas-relief" characters - not fully rounded, but not completely flat either. (Feel free to steal that term, anyone)

^dtm42, I get your complaint, butspoiler[ the fact that Eren still can't control his powers, to the point that half the time he's a dude in distress, undercuts the idea that his transformation somehow evens the playing field. Indeed, the strategically-thinking soldiers are still the best resource they have. I admit that this may all change in upcoming chapters if Eren does master his transformation, but he won't be up against "mindless" Titans, he'll be up against all the Titans that are just like him -- still in hold of their humanity.]

Because... well, HUGE spoiler if you haven't read that far, but spoiler[the implication now is that all Titans were originally human, and were somehow changed. And that what everyone "knows" about how the battle against them began is government lies. Which plays back into the "what is the politics of this manga?" question.] I'm not telling you to like it (everyone has different tastes, I don't like plenty of things people love), but that's why other people do like it, I think.
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Sure can't wait for your Naruto column as well Rolling Eyes

Since standards doesn't seem to apply here anymore.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar1 wrote:
Sure can't wait for your Naruto column as well Rolling Eyes

Since standards doesn't seem to apply here anymore.

So you missed my columns on those ultra-obscure so-underground unknown hipster manga Dragon Ball and Yu-Gi-Oh, clearly. -_-
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Haven't read the manga, only seen the anime. But!

I'm reminded of one of the Stanislaw Lem Cyberiad stories, about spoiler[the planet where everyone was a spy].

But there's more to it than that:

spoiler[the bullied/marginalised child [eren, but also humanity] gets the super powers and it still doesn't fix anything: power lies in numbers leveraged by social organisation rather than the individual.]

All ties together: the struggle of the individual within society mirroring the struggle of human society against the titans. A lot more sophisticated than you'd think.

... and all this carried through to the anime adaption, which is the real surprise.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
This is just me and my two cents on the matter, but I hate the twist that spoiler[Eren is capable of turning into a Titan]. I've never really been able to get over that.

I mean, heck, AoT is solid--the kind of solid we haven't seen in years (the sheer fan ardor for this series doesn't come from Tumblr alone), but I hate that spoiler[Eren survived being eaten and was revealed to be a Shifter]. I appreciated that the series up to that point was very much a horror series: limited resources, an implacable enemy... and some potentially insane heroes willing to fight those odds. spoiler[Eren being a Titan] is giving humans a bottomless shotgun, I find.

spoiler[Also, I don't find that Eren really develops at all after he gains his superpowers. Armin and Mikasa end up overshadowing him, IMO]. The scene where spoiler[Eren got eaten] was so well made, too. The reveal felt so damn cheap... good deaths are hard to find, man. fudge shock value.

I keep hearing people tell me that "that's just how the anime is paced, the manga is better", but I hate that excuse. AoT is great, but after that spoiler I dropped, I could tell where the series was going (spoiler[Hoboy, lemme guess, some people wanna rip down the walls because BREAK THE SHACKLES OF CONFORMITY or whatever]), and I just wasn't interested.

I will recommend this series in a heartbeat, though.

Great column, dude. Smile
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
actually this follwos teh muvluv plotting way of seting up an arc and drop it halfway because something unexpected happens. so I don't think you can really guess where it's going unless you ave already read muvluv.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Great column. Kind of got me interested in the manga. Though, I remember the anime, and something with the story just didn't sit right with me. Can't put my finger on it, but something just didn't click.

May just stick to the anime. Maybe, when the mysteries are revealed, it may change my mind and I may get into the manga. Until then...I'll work on finishing the first season of the anime. Eventually. Laughing[/code]
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
well dont take too long cause time wont wait for anyone. and from the looks of the second manga picture of the article, it might have been possible that the titan traitors somehow did manage to capture him considering that all three of them look a lot older now. though that is probably volumes away before that gets released in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
HeroicRebellion wrote:
ptolemy18 wrote:
HeroicRebellion wrote:
One particular part I love about your review is the last 2 pictures brining in a extreme reveal. (those of you who don't know read the manga Chapter 42)

You think it's a spoiler? The Colossus Titan shows up in the very 1st chapter, so you pretty much know it's gonna show up again...

alright, you forced me to do this. spoiler[It's true that the Colossal titan returns, but this was after it was revealed that his true identity was none other than Bertholdt Fubar, Eren's former comrade who preferred to be in the background]

Oh, sorry, I thought you were complaining the image was a spoiler. Yeah, I agree, it's one of my favorite scenes!
catandmouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
Haven't read the manga, but I'm slowly getting through with season 1 of the anime, and I gotta say, there are really hardly any likable characters!

Now, that doesn't mean that I am not enjoying the series. Actually, I think (and I haven't seen many war stories with teens) that the characters handle the PTSD somewhat realistically. At least they've touched upon the aftermath of death, like what do you do with all the dead bodies? Usually that is never shown, but at least in the anime they show the funeral pyres, and Jean holding a small bone thinking that he doesn't even know where his friend is anymore, was pretty poignant.
Cielito_Lindo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote
Great review. I watched the anime first, remained confused for a while at the origins of the Titans until I managed to look past it and put my picky mind at rest - which is quite difficult and it got even worse when I read the manga.

I still can't get over spoiler[Reinner's casual reveal, because even though I had guessed it was them (their titan forms aren't that hard to identify if you have a brain) I was hoping for something a bit more climatic than "hey, you know what, we're both titans! and we were the ones that broke the wall that time your mum got eaten!" while we were focusing on something else. ]

But it was fun and it still is, and I got hooked just as badly as you did and couldn't stop reading. I'm just hoping there's a second season as tremendous as the first, and for the manga to keep going for just a bit longer.
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
GVman wrote:
Quote:
And mysteries; the other great thing is the mysteries.

The mysteries are what killed it for me. I realized Isayama is just content to build the current mysteries and introduce new ones while never giving answers. I tend to build up the mysteries too much in my head, and when the answer is finally revealed I'm always disappointed. Granted, I've always hated stories that rely on plot development rather than character interaction, and I guess that's where Mr. Thompson's tastes and mine split. I think it's pretty telling that he barely mentions the characters in the article; there's just not much to anyone in this manga. It's great for folks who can tolerate fairly bland characters without much interesting interaction to get to some interesting mysteries, but I can't really stomach it.

I do love me some plot. Of course, the buildup to big mysteries is often more exciting than the actual reveal... it's hard to have the answer be as cool as your imagined version of what's happening. -_- But IMHO, Attack on Titan hasn't jumped the shark or dragged on too long yet (except maybe, maybe, maybe for spoiler[the repeated attempts by the bad guys to capture Eren]). It's still fresh & delicious.

About the characters, they're fairly simple and iconic, but I like them. I like the friendship of the central trio (Eren, Armin, Mikasa), particularly Eren, since he has the classic revenge-seeking hero motivation. I like Ymir and what's-her-name and their relationship. I even like the bad guys and I have to wonder spoiler[WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY THINKING?? It feels like their motivations are being set up as the big reveal that will either make or break the manga.].

And as for the not-really-secret big twist in volume 2 about spoiler[Eren being a Titan], I also thought this was cheesy when I first heard about it (I was in that mood when I wrote my original review of the Titan manga on Crunchyroll), but when I actually read about it, I think it works just fine. It makes it more of a superhero/battle story as opposed to a pure zombie story, but that's fine. To take another zombie-manga example, the 'twist' in Titan seemed much cooler and less 'yay, now the heroes get a power-up!' than spoiler[the hero's zombie-powers in the later parts of Fort of Apocalypse].

Quote:
I also never knew there was any controversy over the series being potentially "racist" or "nationalistic." It sounds like people were just making a big deal out of nothing. I also find stories where it's "us vs. them to the death" and it actually stays that way a bit refreshing; too many things do whole "The monsters/rebels/aliens are just misunderstood!" stuff nowadays.

I agree, I also find this to be a cliché. At least, as much of a cliché as any other way to approach zombies. Though I'm still not 100% certain Attack on Titan won't go this way... like I said in the review, it's nice not knowing.

You're a cool dude, Mr. Thompson. I suppose this is the difference between talking with an adult who writes for a living vs. angry teens on the internet.

My hopes for the series haven't died; I still hope Iseyama can reel me back in. It's not over yet.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote
Well guys, I don't think there would really be much of a conflict without the whole titan transforming thing. I didn't spoiler that because who hasn't already seen AoT that's reading this forum right now? But anyway, like it or not, I can't see the humans ever have winning against the titans without that plot element. It's like some of you say, the show had that no-hope kind of tone to it. But that's not going to move a plot forward. I've heard some say that that idea was implemented after the series blew up in popularity to keep it going longer, but that doesn't make any sense because that's what the entire premise rests upon. Although I would have been totally okay with Eren staying dead and the other mains taking center stage. I like them more anyway. Although he did become significantly less of a jerk wad in the second half of the series. Jean is my favorite though, being the huge douche that he is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3