• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar1 wrote:
Funny when comes to FUNI mishaps with BD releases they never get called out.

That's because, quite frankly, Funi doesn't screw up as bad as Viz and Sentai do. They make mistake, don't get me wrong, but they usually note and work with their fans on them. Viz isn't gonna correct their recent Sailor Moon release, and they're not gonna correct this.

Also, I imagine when one releases a subtitled show, proper readable subtitles should probably be, I don't know, pretty high on the list of things that you should never screw up.

Last edited by Hellwarden on Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
endallchaos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
This is why I welcome our Japanese overlords. With them we might pay more (quite a lot more) but we'll also get quality in line with the prices we pay. This set may cost an odd $50 but with the defects and errors it has I wouldn't pay a single cent for it.

I've actually never had a problem with stuff that I have bought from Funimation, and they usually have excellent prices. I personally hate the prices that Aniplex America has, even though the products they sell do seem to be in good quality, I still wouldn't pay $300 $400 for a series. That's a little bit insane for me. With that amount of money, I could buy myself a bunch of nice clothes, about 4 or 5 different anime series and movies, video game system etc... That's just me, though.

EDIT: I'm not saying I could buy all of those with just $400, btw... lol
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar1 wrote:
Funny when comes to FUNI mishaps with BD releases they never get called out.

They generally have fewer errors of this type on their BDs. Only one I know of in my collection is from the Anime Legends BD of Ouran Host Club that seems to have the same subtitle issue as Gargantua, hard to read white subtitles.

MacAttack270 wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority in that I loved this show, as well as the release. Worth every penny in my book, but keep in mind I watched it dubbed and generally forego subs unless there's no dub available or it's atrociously bad (Higurashi).

You're not the only one. While I can't say I loved the show, I most definitely enjoyed watching it when it was originally airing. I'd like to give the dub a chance, but didn't like it quite enough to buy the whole series, especially with quality issues such as the ones here.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
MacAttack270 wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority in that I loved this show, as well as the release. Worth every penny in my book, but keep in mind I watched it dubbed and generally forego subs unless there's no dub available or it's atrociously bad (Higurashi).

Considering how successful the show was during its original run, I'd say the people who loved it aren't really a minority. It just seems that way because it's a very divisive series; a lot of people dislike it because the first episode makes it seem like it's going to be a mecha action show in space but instead it does something completely different and becomes a human drama about finding your place in an unfamiliar world. I thought it was a fantastic bit of intelligent sci-fi.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Considering how successful the show was during its original run, I'd say the people who loved it aren't really a minority. It just seems that way because it's a very divisive series; a lot of people dislike it because the first episode makes it seem like it's going to be a mecha action show in space but instead it does something completely different and becomes a human drama about finding your place in an unfamiliar world. I thought it was a fantastic bit of intelligent sci-fi.

Where exactly was it intelligent? I think all the plot points that could be thought-provoking were dumbed down and the show felt like something that would air on a kids' channel if it wasn't for the rapey lesbian pirate queen and haremish SoL elements, which personally creeped me out a bit.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Problems with the sub track? I know an easy fix for that: watch the dub! Razz

Since I only watch dubs on disks I had no idea there was a problem.

I really do like this release. The box is nice, as is the artbook, and it's rare to get a set that includes all the extra OVAs, including the Petite Gargantia shorts. The show itself is quite fun and nice to look at. Glad I bought it.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Problems with the sub track? I know an easy fix for that: watch the dub! Razz

Not any kind of fix for us who don't watch dubs...
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
So was I the only one bothered by how the show handled Ledo killing the pirates? My thoughts on the subject are on the previous page.

I guess everyone is more concerned with how it's home video release is handled?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Not any kind of fix for us who don't watch dubs...

Easy fix for that too: start watching dubs!

GVman wrote:
So was I the only one bothered by how the show handled Ledo killing the pirates? My thoughts on the subject are on the previous page.

I guess everyone is more concerned with how it's home video release is handled?

Well this is thread is about the home video release...

Anyways, the show explained why it was such a problem. Stopping the pirates would have been one thing, but Ledo vapourized the whole lot of them and in doing so put Gargantia in even more danger.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Of course, he could then have vaporized the danger if they hadn't put a leash on him, but we had this discussion in the series thread when the show was running.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
The show was just a huge disappointment, lots of money were burned for noting. I was psych after episode 1 and 2, those were really great. Then 3 happened, biggest drop in interest I have ever experienced in an anime, and all the other one just makes things worse, with the eventual reveal that makes no sense and only exist for shear shock value.

Seriously, I can't believe they actually gave the okay to ep 3 spoiler["You shouldn't kill pirate because it'll cause us trouble (even thought they have 0 way of knowing who killed them) and human life is precious. Now stand back while the pirate shoot at us with cannon and we shoot back at them too, wouldn't want anybody to die".]
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
first review i read that sees the sudden fanservice that way, it was a good read.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Well, Viz is just batting a thousand recently, aren't they?

I really am going to have to start keeping a list of releases too damaged to be worth buying.

Let's also keep in mind that one more problem with this Viz release that the review does not mention is apparent compression artifacts in the Blu-ray video.

This is also a problem with Sailor Moon, but it's not getting anywhere near the amount of attention as some of the other problems with that release.

This is something that Viz is *entirely* responsible for, and *can* fix if they so choose, because it's the fault of the authoring house, Subatomic Digital, that they're using for most of their releases. Either get that place to shape up, or switch to a new one.

The awkward ANNCast seems to indicate that they're not planning on doing any such thing as switching though, so prepare for more subpar authoring from Subatomic coming soon.

Justin Sevakis had worked on a few Blu-ray releases for Viz. It's a shame he couldn't have worked on all the rest, too.
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Well this is thread is about the home video release...

I just expected there'd be a bit more of a discussion about the show at hand.

Quote:
Anyways, the show explained why it was such a problem. Stopping the pirates would have been one thing, but Ledo vapourized the whole lot of them and in doing so put Gargantia in even more danger.

meiam stated why that holds issue for some of us:

meiam wrote:
Seriously, I can't believe they actually gave the okay to ep 3 spoiler["You shouldn't kill pirate because it'll cause us trouble (even thought they have 0 way of knowing who killed them) and human life is precious. Now stand back while the pirate shoot at us with cannon and we shoot back at them too, wouldn't want anybody to die".]

I didn't really see the consistency in logic there, either. spoiler[Since they like killed and injured many of the pirates in the siege (not to mention the insulting defeat their captain faced), wouldn't they be worried the pirates would come back again?] That didn't happen because of reasons, but according to their logic, it would. I also felt that was pretty tangential to the point they were driving at with Amy. I.e.: killing is always bad all the time. Which just doesn't fly in situations like this.

While I'm ranting, I may as well throw in my two cents on the spoiler[Hideauze/Whalesquids being human] thing. That didn't really bother me in so much that I thought it was a dumb plot twist; it worked pretty well with the show overall. It's just that the whole spoiler[monsters are misunderstood ] thing has become the norm now, and its repeated use is getting pretty tiring. You can have humanized monsters/bad guys who are still, you know, absolutely-terrible people. Just look at the Nazis.

EDIT:
Yttrbio wrote:
Of course, he could then have vaporized the danger if they hadn't put a leash on him, but we had this discussion in the series thread when the show was running.

I guess I ought to keep up with the discussions...
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
Anyone else having issues with the japanese audio or reading the subtitles? Kind of on the fence of buying now Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5