• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Metropolitan Area to Establish "English Village"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Why does this read English Speaking Ghetto to me? Wink Laughing

Welcome 2 da 'hood, homie Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear. There goes the property prices.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
So this is going to be like the reverse of Los Angeles's Little Tokyo district?

Also, it sounds like they're hinting the architecture, food, and local culture is meant to emulate English-speaking countries. If so, which? Are we going to have a mishmash of United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and Belize, with a bit of India and Singapore thrown in? I suppose if you're in Tokyo and you feel like a fish sandwich seasoned with malt vinegar and a can of Foster's and a basket of poutine on the side, you know where to head to.
Topazz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

-In the Netherlands, 87% of the population can speak fluent English (also 70% of the same population can speak fluent German).

I just wanted to say its not the dutch can speak " fluent" english, but almost everyone can converse/make them understandable. The german percentage seems farstretched, as its taught( as well as French) on a much lower standard than english during middle/high school. [/quote]
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Topazz wrote:

I just wanted to say its not the dutch can speak " fluent" english, but almost everyone can converse/make them understandable. The german percentage seems farstretched, as its taught( as well as French) on a much lower standard than english during middle/high school.

Well I'm just giving observation based on what I've seen and heard and also taking account from my several European friends I worked with. It's not meant to make you people in Europe look good or something, just telling people what I've seen and heard out of Europe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
This will fit into my future plans quite nicely
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
They treat English as a hobby than can be picked up and dropped at will, like tennis, and not some kind of necessity. I guess it makes more sense for Europeans, since how else would Finn and an Italian properly communicate?

walw6pK4Alo, in Europe (majority of them), English is a 2nd language and probably also mandatory, it's been acknowledged according to UK's Daily Telegraph. So yeah that's why you have a lot of non-UK/Irish Europeans that can speak good English, I believe:

-In the Netherlands, 87% of the population can speak fluent English (also 70% of the same population can speak fluent German).

-In Belgium and Switzerland, English is also mandatory (alongside knowing other language like French, German, etc...) because the 2 countries have to do business with countries in and out of Europe so it make sense both Belgium and Switzerland have to know English. I had couple of friends from Belgium and Switzerland that told me that learning multiple languages is mandatory in those 2 countries.

There is a drawback of the whole European continent learning English, it caused people in the UK and Ireland to not learn multiple languages other then French.

But back on topic: Samuelp's post pretty much pointed out the problem, thanks for the info, Sam. Smile
As a Finn I can say that in Finland we start learning English in 3rd grade. Some even start practising some words and sayings in 2nd grade(like myself). Then on 4th grade(also on 8th grade or in highschool) we can start learning a second language if we want to(usually it's either French, German or Russian but some schools in the capital area offer more like Chinese). Then of course later on Swedish since it's our second native language. I personally don't know any numbers that how many Finn's actually speak good English but considering the school system that we currently have at least the youngsters should speak great English. Also a lot of English speaking (or more like understanding) skills probably come from the TV since we don't dub shows in Finland. Only kids shows get dubbed but otherwise we read subs almost immediately when we have learned to read. I don't know how much this helped to understand European English learning but this is how we do things in Finland! Also our English is more based on British English than American but the American culture is so much in our lives so we kind of learn American English about the same amount.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
To me,it sounds like Tokyo's attempting to do an immigrant neighborhood like what's found in places like America. Places like Little Tokyo,Chinatown,etc. The thing is those neighborhoods developed over time with a lot of immigration. I sincerely doubt that something like this could be done on a quick basis.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
This is nothing new. Japan did the same thing during the Tokugawa's Sokoku (chained country) era with first the Dutch, then the British in the early 17th century. All gaijin were only allowed to stay on an island known as Tsushima in what is now the Sea Of Japan just off what is now Nagasaki Prefecture. No one was allowed to trade on the mainland without authorisation from the Shogun himself, and no Japanese were allowed to leave under penalty of death if caught, or returned. This looks like a modern day English "Tsushima".
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
YumeHunter wrote:

...I personally don't know any numbers that how many Finn's actually speak good English but considering the school system that we currently have at least the youngsters should speak great English. Also a lot of English speaking (or more like understanding) skills probably come from the TV since we don't dub shows in Finland.

I agree we tend to be pretty fluent. ...In reading and writing English. But put us in front of an actual English person and order us to conduct a conversation with them. Funny moments are likely to follow Smile ... (from personal experience)

Quote:
Only kids shows get dubbed but otherwise we read subs almost immediately when we have learned to read. I don't know how much this helped to understand European English learning but this is how we do things in Finland!

Having lived in Sweden also, I'd say this holds true for most of the Scandinavian countries.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure that somewhere in Japan has tried this before in recent years and it failed.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
YumeHunter wrote:
As a Finn I can say that in Finland we start learning English in 3rd grade. Some even start practising some words and sayings in 2nd grade(like myself). Then on 4th grade(also on 8th grade or in highschool) we can start learning a second language if we want to(usually it's either French, German or Russian but some schools in the capital area offer more like Chinese). Then of course later on Swedish since it's our second native language. I personally don't know any numbers that how many Finn's actually speak good English but considering the school system that we currently have at least the youngsters should speak great English. Also a lot of English speaking (or more like understanding) skills probably come from the TV since we don't dub shows in Finland. Only kids shows get dubbed but otherwise we read subs almost immediately when we have learned to read. I don't know how much this helped to understand European English learning but this is how we do things in Finland! Also our English is more based on British English than American but the American culture is so much in our lives so we kind of learn American English about the same amount.

Yeah I noticed this too when I see video of American shows having Finnish or Swedish subititles (I see American shows subtitled in Dutch too). Aside from animation, I never seen American TV shows (or foreign TV shows) that are shown in Europe getting dubbed (I think except some European countries like Spain), just animation that are the only one getting dub/ADR. As a matter of fact, I know in the UK a lot of non-English shows (that are not animation or anime) get shown on UK TV subtitled on BBC Four (until somebody from the UK told me BBC Four is no longer going to be active) and Channel 4 would broadcast non-English foreign shows. I know about Channel 4 showing a French show with English subtitled and included a french-language commercial break (a first for the UK).

Judging from what I read and how I interacted with couple of people from UK, I think Europeans can handle subtitles then Americans. I mean I never seen NBC, CBS, or ABC broadcasting a non-English European shows like the way BBC and Channel 4 does in the UK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Build a hotel in it with fully english speaking staff and watch the tourists flock to it ; )
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
I'm sure that somewhere in Japan has tried this before in recent years and it failed.

Can I ask where and please include a link (if you have one avaliable)?
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
omiya wrote:

Can I ask where and please include a link (if you have one avaliable)?

No, the reference escapes me... I might ask some others as it's difficult to find something with Google as there is a company in Japan offering English language courses called "English Village".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5