• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Discuss Which Anime Both Positively & Negatively Affected Their Lives

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Set1229

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I hate to keep posting as I remember these instances, but Matantei Loki (anime) made want to honestly learn more about Norse religion. While the anime and manga of Matantei Loki have some inconsistencies with the original legends, I am grateful to Kinoshita-sensei for writing the story that eventually led to me meeting a person of the Asatru faith and we are great friends. Because of her, I know a little more about root words, such as Thursday = Thor's Day or Sleipnir = slipper.

I was having a lot of arguments with my mom and then I was unable to forgive myself for my horrible manners to the point of self abusing verbally. In Tekkaman Blade spoiler[D-Boy was angry for going over his Tekset's time limit and losing control of himself and becoming violent. He was literally calling himself either a beast or a devil. Aki says to him on the battle, "even if you kill me, I still love you." ] This made me realize that I was still loved and need to not be so hard on myself.

Lastly, there was a time where I was so mentally unhealthy that I thought I was two people. When I saw Pai and Parvati in the 3x3 Eyes OVA's a year or two agp, seeing a dual personality that was generally nice/warm and rather brutal in the other reminded me of how my behavior changes a lot depending on my inconsistent mood. I don't have dissociative identity disorder, but seeing their duality hit it close to home gave me a feeling of comfort that I was not alone in this feeling of being more complicated than one would like to be. I guess you could say they made me feel like less of a reluctant oddball.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Watching DBZ helped me lose weight. When I was in high school I weighed 165 Ibs. While watching DBZ I always admired how Goku kept training and focused on his goals, never giving up. So during Summer vacation I spent everyday during those three months exercising and eating healthy and cutting out all junk food. By the time school was about to start again I had lost 30 Ibs. and felt great. Even after Summer vacation I would exercise during the weekends, during the weekdays I had P.E. class so that definitely help keep my weight down. Very Happy My current weight right now is 125 Ibs.
(It also helped I watched DBZ while exercising so it kept me pumped up)
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I discovered anime and manga at a really tough point in my life. When I was in middle school it was the worst, I got bullied, and the teachers were doing nothing about it and I had a small group of friends that I had since elementary school. By the time I was in the 7th grade I had no classes with any of my friends and I started losing them left and right. I only had my twin sister, and maybe a couple of classmates that would say hi to me in the hallway.

It was like I was living in a giant grey world without any color. That was until one day we went to the library with my class before lunch started. I was going to check out a couple of historical comic books (they were super popular among everyone.) And that was when I encountered a book that was "backwards." It was called "Yotsuba&!" I read the back of the cover and I thought it looked interesting. What happened afterwards changed my life forever.

At around the same time the school started offering an after school art club and with me (and my twin sister) being the art freaks we were we just had to join. So during the club my sister's classmate and good friend invited us to his table, and he was sitting next to this super tall and intimidating guy. He saw the book I was reading and said it was a great choice and that he once cosplayed as one of the characters from it. From then on he taught me all sorts of things and told me about his misadventures at various anime conventions and about all sorts of stuff. We became really good friends. Too bad he graduated so I ended up going a year without him.

We reunited with him in high school and he had other friends as well that were nice to us and they even told us about the school having an anime club! We joined and became even better friends! It was amazing! Even though we all graduated and are out of school now, we're still really good friends, and that's what I always wanted. And I got all that thanks to a little green haired girl.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, I once had severe depression and then I watched Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and understood how dumb were reasons of it. That's probably the only time anime helped me in major way. On a negative side, I must say, I really regret amount of time I spent on it, I could've done something useful instead.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I still remember when I finishedAngel Beats! back in the day. I couldn't watch anything else the rest of the week and I was just in a somber mood overall. Seeing the ending really made me think about my life and what I was doing back then. Watching the regrets of the characters and each of their stories almost brought me to tears. I started valuing my time with those around me more and tried to help others as much as I could... for about a month anyway. Then I just reverted to my old lazy self. Anime can change me temporarily, but the effects aren't forever.
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Barefoot Gen made me hate Japan for a little while. I still can't believe my elementary school had the manga and anime in the library, considering it's an anti-Japan war manga. I hope they keep removing it from the libraries.

On the other hand, I think Grave of the Fireflies is a good movie because it has an anti-war message.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I'm really really down, I can always count on a few episodes of Gintama to pick me back up again. It never fails to make me laugh, and I actually really appreciate that.

On the other hand, Blood+ messed me up for weeks after episode 32 (I think) aired. I somehow managed to finish the show months later because I'm a completionist, but I will never ever watch it again despite my love for Haji. I also firmly believe that that's where my trigger for that type of situation originated, too.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I used to swim competitively when I was a kid, but I dropped it in high school because I didn't want to wake up for practice BEFORE school started. Ugh!

But, as an adult....I watched Free! Iwatobi Swim Club....and it inspired me to start swimming laps again at the local fitness club. It's funny how popping a few episodes of Free can get me psyched up for the gym!

So yah, thanks for personal fitness inspiration, you dumb swimming anime boys.

Last edited by Wingbeats on Tue May 12, 2015 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lusbox

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I would have to say Clannad as well, some nights it was hard to sleep after watching a few episodes, made me lie there reflecting on my life and an empty feeling that lasted for a couple of weeks. Would like to think it made me a better person.

Only discovered anime/manga 2 years ago, but I can safely say it's become part of my life and what I think about most of the time, whether it be songs or lines etc, along with emptying my wallet.

Will be forever grateful to the friend who started me off, just wish I'd found it sooner.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching a series called Tribe Cool Crew and I can say that with certainty that at times it nails the choreography of the dances as well as the music is excellent. I grew up in a era where dancing in hip-hop was kinda dying (gangsta rap be damned) and now it's coming back thanks to the generation under me. This series made me appreciate what black guys and gals like me have made and continue to make.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I saw Eden of the East at the right time. I was feeling pretty down about the fact I graduated college and had to move in with my parents while looking for work because as luck would have it, the economy took a nosedive. Being shown that being a NEET isn't so if bad if you're making an effort really helped.

I had a similar experience, but with a different show. I had been unemployed for 10 months after finishing grad school when I first watched Welcome to the NHK. I'm not sure if the show had a clear, positive effect on me, but it did make me really think about what I was doing with my life. To this day, it's still one of my favorite shows of all time.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Anime made me the man I am today. I was a total shutin until I watched Welcome to the NHK & saw a life so much like my own play out on screen. Now I know the truth & the solution. As I sit among bags of rubbish & instant meal packaging, I know that if I try hard enough - a 17 year old old girl with serious emotional problems will deliver gay conversion therapy literature to my door & start my own journey to realising what a self-pitying loser I've let myself become. I can't wait. Thanks, anime!
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Qwaser made me drink milk regularly Laughing

Serious answer, AIR made start my first anime blog, and from that a lot has happened. Got to know many readers, met them IRL, building a community, some of them even become a close friend even when we are no longer avid anime watcher.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I must say that I was born physically weak and I hated sport, especially basketball, until I watch Slam Dunk. My hatred toward sports was baseless, it's probably because I had no idea how to play them. So, watching sport-themed anime or reading sport-themed manga really inspired me to do more physical activity - especially since they're teaching the basics, like the idiot guide to do things in a more enjoyable way, although sadly my stamina never improved.

Though recently I don't enjoy sport manga as much as before, probably because there are tons of fujoshi pandering over every single sport series. I know the series are not bad, but when the fans are annoying it gets into my nerves too.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
{Edit: I'm removing your post because there was no need to be unduly rude towards another user. You've been warned before to be more civil with your opinions and how you deal with/respond to other users. Consider this the last warning you're going to get on the matter. Either post your opinions without being rude to other users and/or criticizing them or keep them to yourself. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101}
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4