• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nintendo to Lower Price of 2DS Handheld System

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:45 am Reply with quote
pretty sure i saw the 2DS at $99 price during black friday 2014....

shouldn't this system be $50 by now? and the vita should be around $120 instead of $199

Vita means LIFE--- yah... it was a short life Rolling Eyes
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
Depends on how much they can price them at and still get good sales. You might sell more units when they're cheaper, but you'll get less profit out of each individual unit. Because of that, potential profits from any given thing becomes a bell curve, and the goal is to find the highest point on that curve. Any higher, and people feel disinclined to buy it and profits go down. Any lower, and the increased sales can no longer compensate for the decreased margins.

That the 2DS's price is lowering more likely means the cost of parts has gone down, not that it isn't selling.

Also, Black Friday prices are just that: A temporary sale where something is below MSRP. It is still a price drop if the 2DS drops below what most retailers would sell it for if it wasn't on sale (and around here, they're US$150 minimum).
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
a lot of good deals during Black Friday

it's the best time to pick up a new gaming system + games

When buying games and systems.. it's best to avoid those retail stores (unless they have a sale going on) since they often sell things at MRSP price..

I use Amazon and Newegg mostly.. since they offer free shipping and no sale tax (Amazon- will vary by state) + lower price

However, there's no place that will offer the best warranty for game systems like Costco The game systems you bought from them will have lifetime warranty.. so if it broke 2-3+ years later return it for Full Refund!
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
It's most likely the next major Pokémon release would be Z Version though. There are too many dangling threads, and ever since Generation II, there's always been at least one improved remake version in the same generation.

Bear in mind that odd-numbered generations are more about introducing large amounts of Pokémon, and even-numbered generations are more about bringing in new mechanics. Because they need time to come up with a lot of Pokémon, even-numbered generations tend to be longer. I don't think this is a coincidence, nor do I think they'll break that pattern any time soon. I am certain we will be getting a Z Version featuring Zygarde, but most likely in either late 2016 or early 2017 to space out those releases, and Generation VII will be released with a new region in late 2017 at the earliest.

Though I think for those wanting a new place to explore, another Team Cipher game would be for the best.

I think (or at least, I hope) the games will arrive a lot sooner than that. That's like... worse than waiting for a movie to come out. And no new Pokemon/region until 2018, three years from now, you predict?! No offense of course, but, I hope you're dead wrong. Confused
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
How long were Generations III and IV though? Four or five years? Generation VI is only two years old right now.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
True. But Generation V was incredibly short, lasting only two years. And if you look at the patterns, you can see that roughly they have been releasing a new region with new Pokemon every three years since the debut of the games.

It would be FIVE years if they were to actually introduce Generation VII in 2018, which would mean five years since they have released any new Pokemon. That's not very profitable on their end.

Even if you're right I sure hope it's at least a sequel. That way we're exploring a new, extensional part of the region with new Pokemon still in Kalos. Although, excluding legendaries I guess, there were no new Pokemon in BW2.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
To the contrary, I don't think Pokémon needs to have a lot of new monsters introduced all the time. If kids like them, kids like them. Pokémon is too big to be done in by slowing down. If anything, Nintendo's had experience with IPs that moved TOO quickly, like Mario Party and Kirby.

Nintendo's very good at making games with a lot of lasting appeal. Have faith.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you completely. But if Pokemon Z is the next game, it will have to be substantially different than Pokemon X and Y in order for it to become successful imho.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2