• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: English Release of Xenoblade Chronicles X Removes Bust-Customization Option

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
Enner wrote:
The only sad thing I can think is that I would've liked to reduce the bust of a character. The default is rather... shapely.

The flat dream is dead Anime cry

But yeah, still getting it.

I would prefer an unmodified product, but my laziness to learn Japanese or actually communicate with Nintendo overcomes the potential issues.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:06 am Reply with quote
RIOT!!!

No really, I don't care. The beauty of this game I'm looking for is not character customization but the world the game is in.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I don't know, I'm a girl, and I'd like to customize my character to look as close to me as possible... Even in the bust area. lol

Came to post this too. I always try to make my characters look like me because it helps immersion and having less options is always lame. Boobs exist Nintendo; nothing inherently sexual about them >.>

Last edited by Lili-Hime on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:37 am; edited 4 times in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
As people have pointed out, there's nothing inherently sexual about being able to modify the size of a character's breasts. An in depth character creator should let you modify all aspects of your character to create whatever body type you want. It's silly to remove breast size just because some people could use it in a pervy way. These are all valid points in the general sense. That said, as it applies here, this line of thinking is entirely contingent on the game actually featuring an in depth body customization system. And from what I've seen, it really doesn't. It pretty much limits itself to little more than surface level changes on top of a generic body template. That being the case, any real pretense toward the above justification goes out the window. This is for titillation plain and simple. It's there not so people can create the body type they want. It's there specifically so horny guys can make a character with the boobs they find the most attractive. Thus, this is really just another case of Nintendo cutting out pervy stuff from a game for it's American release. And while I do generally prefer they don't edit games for the west, I also would prefer that their games don't include this crap in the first place so...eh. The end result is good at least.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:37 am Reply with quote
@ikillchicken
Screw it I'll make a new post. Anyways I totally disagree. FF14 doesn't let you change body type outside of height and muscle definition, but it has a boob slider. Only three options. Does that mean that FF14 is only for guys making their waifus? Me and a lot of other girls I know play or have played. A few of them wanted to make their boobs bigger to match the size they had (or wish they had) lol For some weird reason default boob size in that game was really small I woulda been pissed if I couldn't up it a little.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Final Fantasy XIV has one, for example. Even the little Lalafell girls

I played Lala for a brief time before going back to human. The slider is there but I know from experience it does pretty much nothing.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:43 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
@ikillchicken
Screw it I'll make a new post. Anyways I totally disagree. FF14 doesn't let you change body type outside of height and muscle definition, but it has a boob slider. Only three options. Does that mean that FF14 is only for guys making their waifus? Me and a lot of other girls I know play or have played. A few of them wanted to make their boobs bigger to match the size they had (or wish they had) lol For some weird reason default boob size in that game was really small I woulda been pissed if I couldn't up it a little.

Hey! I'm as flat as can be and proud of it, not everyone wishes they were bigger and now the default size is too big to recreate myself in avatar form haha

But yeah this change is beyond stupid and I was already on the fence about buying this games for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with censorship but this certainly doesn't make me happy especially since nintendo like usual will refuse to comment or explain why they made the change unlike Atlus, NISA and IF who all were open an honest about censorship reasons with their specific games.

This change is just stupid, games are getting more violent then ever but its always anything that has to do with the human body that needs to be altered or removed and a society that finds the human body more wrong then extreme violence is a society I have to shake my head at.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:14 am Reply with quote
@Lili-Hime
Well look, I'm certainly not saying the whole game (be it this or FF14) is only for guys making waifus. Just that this is what this one aspect of the game specifically exists for. It's just tough for me to believe otherwise when the game offers so little other significant body customization. A game that at least also lets you adjust muscle tone too is a little better. I can see after height and muscularity maybe going to breast size as the next most prominent feature. Or at least you're in the ballpark. When you can't even choose between a pencil thin body and a heavy set one though, but you can set the breast size...yeah. It seems pretty clear they're not interested in letting people create the bodies they want. They're just interested in letting them create the boobs they want. Of course if you find it helpful regardless then that's fair enough. I guess it is still better than nothing. To me it seems a bit insignificant though. Like, if a game isn't gonna let you actually customize your character's body in a meaningful and complete way, they might as well just go with a universal template. That's just me though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
Seems the West cares more about censorship than Japan.
Japanese don't care that, for ex., Metal Gear Solid 5 are censored.
Nintendo just following Japanese philosophy - don't care for censorship? Laughing
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:30 am Reply with quote
SNES was a long time ago, and yet they're still doing the same thing.

This isn't about boobs so much as needless removal of options to maintain an image, even as console sales are in the dirt for N.
StregaMember08

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
The only problem I have with this, aside from the sheer immaturity of this move, is it brings up concerns about more important things about the games localization. If they felt the west is unfit for something like this then heaven knows what they'll do to censor story elements they think we cannot handle without being offended.

Between this and the removal of religious names like Testament make me wonder it we're getting a authentic localization. I really hate being this pessimistic, but the more I hear about it the more concerned I get.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:48 am Reply with quote
Like others have said, there's nothing inherently sexual about breasts. Also, the character creator probably isn't in-depth because Monolith Soft wants everyone's created character to stay in line with Kunihiko Tanaka's character designs.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
When can we expect "The X Button" column where Todd Ciolek calls the original version "creepy" and says we shouldn't care about censorship because it's something he doesn't like?
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
As people have pointed out, there's nothing inherently sexual about being able to modify the size of a character's breasts. An in depth character creator should let you modify all aspects of your character to create whatever body type you want. It's silly to remove breast size just because some people could use it in a pervy way. These are all valid points in the general sense. That said, as it applies here, this line of thinking is entirely contingent on the game actually featuring an in depth body customization system. And from what I've seen, it really doesn't. It pretty much limits itself to little more than surface level changes on top of a generic body template. That being the case, any real pretense toward the above justification goes out the window. This is for titillation plain and simple. It's there not so people can create the body type they want. It's there specifically so horny guys can make a character with the boobs they find the most attractive. Thus, this is really just another case of Nintendo cutting out pervy stuff from a game for it's American release. And while I do generally prefer they don't edit games for the west, I also would prefer that their games don't include this crap in the first place so...eh. The end result is good at least.

Pretty much this. Nintendo was likely well-aware of the pervy reasoning behind the inclusion of the boobs-specific slider in an otherwise stripped down character creation mode, and decided against it for the West. Personally, it bugs me when sex gets shoehorned into things just to pander to people's libido, it's a distracting nuisance (so good riddance to Lyn's underboobage armor bikini).
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Pretty much this. Nintendo was likely well-aware of the pervy reasoning behind the inclusion of the boobs-specific slider in an otherwise stripped down character creation mode, and decided against it for the West. Personally, it bugs me when sex gets shoehorned into things just to pander to people's libido, it's a distracting nuisance (so good riddance to Lyn's underboobage armor bikini).

The problem with this line of thinking is that the pervy costumes are STILL in the game, every character including the MC still has access to the full array of swimsuits and other fanservice like outfits with the exception of Lyn so if Nintendo was actually trying to "clean" up the game or maintain an "image" how exactly is removing an innocent bust slider but leaving in the much more fanservice outfits help nintendo in that cause?

Saying that the bust slider was only included just to pander to people's libido" is also ingenuous too because multiple woman myself included have said in this thread that effects them, if pervs want to make a character just too see that character half naked they still have that option available but the answer to a limited character creation isn't to limit it even more because of a few people might abuse it for other reasons.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
Enner wrote:
As for the concern with Genei Ibun Roku #FE: I know this year has seen edits to Fatal Frame 5 and Xenoblade X. But keep in mind that these are most likely the same people that let Fire Emblem: Awakening (hey there Nowi) and Bayonetta 2 pass. The boob jiggle and swimsuits of #FE are most likely safe. The loli swimsuits might not be, though. Also, don't forget to bring a towel.

I can't tell from the way you wrote this if you meant to say that they kept "Nowi" in or the opposite, that they changed her quite a bit. In case it isn't obvious to people reading (I've played both language versions), Nowi's original name is "Nono", which may or may not have been a way to make her feel less "childish". Her background is generally the same, but her speech patterns in Japanese were extremely childish to a fault while her English speech patterns were more... average and sisterly. At least, in comparison to each other. I assume this huge contrast was simply to lessen the whole child factor on a character who will eventually reproduce and have her own kind in the suggested few year span of the game. Despite being as old as she is already, anyway. The other censorship you mentioned was just them censoring a picture in a DLC where the back lower half of Tharja's bikini was exposed. The curtain, I believe, covers it.

For #FE, I don't think there will be too much, but I can see minor censorship here and there. They can't really edit personalities as much, though, since it's vocal.

Somer-_- wrote:
If the new Fire Emblem game is treated similar I'm just not going to get it.

Having only played through a little over half of the Byakuya route and getting all S/A+/A ranks with the adults up to that point, I can see one major thing being slightly changed, but considering what it is, I'm not really sure anyone would be bothered by it. It's a major element of the general story, but not really relevant to the plot, so it's up to you to spoil yourself: spoiler[The children of the main families are actually conceived during play, meaning the parents have actual sex, and the children are born during the story. The children are then sent to a pocket dimension in their world where time flows differently and you pick them up when they are older. OBVIOUSLY, for characters like the little sisters, whose age is still unknown, but whose looks and manners emit a "loli" personality... this part of the story may be changed so that either they aren't "loli" or the way things work is slightly different.] Overall, it won't affect the game itself or the plot, so if you think it'll bother you, just pretend the original concept in the Japanese version is actually what happens. I'm sure that the same localization team for Awakening is making if/Fates, so I doubt that'll be the biggest change in the game anyway. Awakening was STILL a great game in English and the English script was quite a successful adaption, even if it was drastically different in many parts. If they change things like that again, I do hope it's in the same vain as Awakening. ...For the most part.

...I came here to comment on Xenoblade, so...
I also know someone who loves Xenoblade and she actually just recently talked about how she hates older character customization features that ignore bust size. She's got pretty huge breasts herself, so I'm afraid to tell her about this news. Of course, the customization looks extremely weak anyway, but this would be just another nail in the coffin...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9