• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does Funimation License Shows They Won't Dub?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Even though I'm a dub defaulter (don't really have a preference but if its dubbed then I'm checking that out first), its completely understandable. If you're stuck with a show you didn't really want in the first place, then a sub-only release is best. They could always take the Ghost Stories route, but that's still money spent on dubbing a show that probably won't be worth the cost.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Wait, now that I think of it, Funimation gets these shows before they even air. So even if the shows are bundled, it can't be because one is bad since it's still being made and audience reception to it is unknown.
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm more curious of when they stream a show, then haven't done anything with it since. Wheres my twin tails Funi?!

Also are their simuldubs being pressed and released as final? Wouldn't that be problematic? Simuldubs are done a lot faster than your average record session. Im worried about quality issues. But maybe that 5 week gap is enough to keep things smooth
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Since somebody always brings up additional exceptions in the forums... Inari KonKon says hello (and even I overlooked Puchim@s), as do some titles associated with license rescues like the Kaleido Star Layla Hamilton OVA, the Vandread recap OVAs, and some license rescues that weren't dubbed by the original licensees like .hack//GU Trilogy and probably Tales of the Abyss, once Funi gets around to releasing it.

Also the Lucky Star OVA.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
ArmyofDarkness wrote:
Also are their simuldubs being pressed and released as final? Wouldn't that be problematic? Simuldubs are done a lot faster than your average record session. Im worried about quality issues. But maybe that 5 week gap is enough to keep things smooth

They've mentioned from the very beginning that all the broadcast dubs are subject to minor tweaks and fixes before the final product is released, so no, they're not considered "final".
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I suppose I'm curious as to why they didn't feel that OniAi or Buddy Complex weren't worth dubbing. They've dubbed similar shows of like content and quality.

That sort of airy-fairy "narrative structure" and "grounded conflict" stuff that lit majors go on about, it matters. Shows that are analysed as having "good quality" by lit-theory analyses do better in the marketplace than similar shows that don't: even if a lot of the audience can't articulate the difference, they can still say, "I like this show more".

[I mean, that's why literary scholars do it, after all]

Now, I haven't seen any of the shows you've mentioned, but what I've heard of them suggests that they've got pretty bad literary-theory type problems that the audience will notice and that will harm sales significantly. This is why you need some sort of lit-theory background to succeed as an acquisitions editor, and stuff.
Haruji-san

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
So where's Book of Circus?! They dub the first two seasons, which, save for Jack the Ripper and the OVAs, were just *AWFUL*, and they virtually ignore a season that ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT ITS SOURCE MATERIAL?!
...FUNi, please dub Book of Circus. PLEASE.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I addition to bundling, I think Funimation is starting to release sub-only titles because they have licensed too many shows in the last couple of years. 4 years ago they licensed around 20 new shows per year, but in the last 2 years combined they have licensed like 90 new shows.

I have no doubt that Funimation has licensed crappy and niche titles because of bundling, but I am convinced that they actively want to acquire more titles to have a bigger percentage of the market. Funimation is probably being this aggressive because they have gotten over the idea of dubbing everything as subtitled-only releases by other N.A. publishers have become commonplace.

And while I do like dubbed anime (especially it is well done), it is very smart on Funimation part to take care of their money and not dub titles that will not sell well. I, like others here, do however hope that older titles like the interesting The Tatami Galaxy get at least sub only releases.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
metroid24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
doing ths is not smart millions of fans love funimation for doing pretty much all hybrids but if they go this route they are gonna make the fans suffer as well as their sales
crazytoledo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I wish they would have dubbed and released Tokyo ESP. That was a really fun show. But apparently I'm the only one who thinks so.

FYI, Tokyo ESP IS getting dubbed and released, it just hasn't come out yet (set for late February release).
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
The sad thing is Buddy Complex was one of the better shows of that season. Sure, it was generic as hell but it did the cliches well. It's one of the better shows involving time travel that I've seen as it's a very touchy subject.

I'll be waiting for it to drop down in price or a sale before I pick it up since they decided to do a sub-only full price release. I would've picked it up immediately had they dubbed it with a decent cast but they didn't and considering I picked up the import Blurays second hand, I'm okay.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
metroid24 wrote:
doing ths is not smart millions of fans love funimation for doing pretty much all hybrids but if they go this route they are gonna make the fans suffer as well as their sales

Oh I do agree that it'll stink not having a guarantee dub but the way funimation officially explained it makes perfect sense, this change allows them to acquire and release shows that Funimation wouldn't have normally picked up or released. So basically all the shows Funimation would have picked up and dubbed are still getting that treatment but shows that they wouldn't have picked up because they wouldn't dub it are now able to get picked up and released so it essentially means even more anime getting released in NA Anime smile
crazytoledo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I addition to bundling, I think Funimation is starting to release sub-only titles because they have licensed too many shows in the last couple of years. 4 years ago they licensed around 20 new shows per year, but in the last 2 years combined they have licensed like 90 new shows.

More or less.

I think part of that has to do with the fact that Funimation is trying to bring in more subscribers to their streaming service and in order to do that they need to have more simulcast titles then they used to in order to lure away subscribers that might go somewhere else like Crunchyroll instead. Of course that means bulking up their seasonal lineups with shows they wouldn't have bothered with otherwise, but since they have them...might as well see if they can bring in some additional revenue via disc sales.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
At least we hope not, because something tells me that no one's really chomping at the bit to buy physical copies of Shomin Sample, Sky Wizards Academy, or Mikagura School Suite. Confused

I don't know about chomping at the bit, but I do want to buy Mikagura School Suite.

Anyway, I've kind of got mixed feelings about bundling such as this. On the one hand, it is kind of forcing companies to buy something they don't really want, but on the other hand it does sometimes work out for the best for everyone. And I'm a fan of many lesser-known and lesser-regarded titles, and there's a few things in my collection that just wouldn't have been released otherwise.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Wait, now that I think of it, Funimation gets these shows before they even air. So even if the shows are bundled, it can't be because one is bad since it's still being made and audience reception to it is unknown.

But with the kind of marketing data they have access to, like their historical sales data and streaming numbers and customer feedback, it's not difficult to estimate that kind of thing. You already know which properties have a built-in audience either because they're already well known (huge franchises like AoT or sequels of popular franchises like DxD), or because the manga and/or games are already available in America so some people will already be familiar with it. Other things that don't have a pre-established presence they can look at and make an educated guess based on things like its genre, demographic target, if it's attached to a famous studio or director, etc. and say "Okay, this will probably draw a good audience, that probably won't." Making those estimates will also inform how much they're willing to bid on a series in the first place, since paying DxD-level licensing fees for some obscure eroge adaptation most anime fans in Japan haven't even heard of (never mind the US) would be financial suicide.

Quote:
I'm more curious of when they stream a show, then haven't done anything with it since. Wheres my twin tails Funi?!

This is actually about the time we should start getting more release date information from Funi and Sentai about their Fall '14 licenses, now that they've been out for about a year. Funi just announced their release plans for Lord Marksman and Vanadis two days ago, and Sentai just made Celestial Method, Shirobako, and Wolf Girl & Black Prince available for pre-order literally, like, yesterday. So I'd expect to start hearing more about Twin-Tails and others from that season pretty soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6