• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New ANN Launches in a Few Hours!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattigun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote
I see it now looks like the Australian version. I like it very much!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:47 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I'm sorry to say that this design is a completely different beast than the previous one, so the skins won't work anymore. But it should make new skins easier to create since it is now 100% CSS-based. I've archived the skins (e.g. Chibi Pirate) so we can eventually port them to this new layout.
Good luck with getting everything ready for the new layout. Glad to hear that the different skins will eventually be coming back.

I usually stick with just the basic layout, but if the new set up makes the advertising overlap a thing of the past, it will be nice to have choices.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
It's pretty nice, I guess. My only complaint is probably due to me being a heretic and still using Internet Explorer but I'll say it anyway. The forum text seems a bit smaller and the site looks like its formatted for a normal sized screen (I use a laptop, so I have a wide screen) and I have about an inch on each side that's full of blue.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:12 am Reply with quote
Personally I like the look of the site, but I think it's just going to take some time to adjust. I mean if you go to the same site everyday for a few years it's so weird to see a different look. Although I do miss having all of the tabs on the left hand side.....
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:16 am Reply with quote
Comments of My Anime is now in light grey on a light blue background, making it very difficult to read. Black text is still the most readable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:28 am Reply with quote
Mattigun wrote:
I see it now looks like the Australian version. I like it very much!

Exactly what I thought. So they did decide to got with that logo...

Any reason all of the menu tabs and titles are lower case? Just seems wierd. The columns especially seem like they should be in caps to me. Don't know how hard it would be to fix though.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:28 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Comments of My Anime is now in light grey on a light blue background, making it very difficult to read. Black text is still the most readable.

If you edit your category to regular font instead of the small font it changes to a black font and is easier to read. I'm doing that now for all of my categories. I think the biggest problem with the grey font is that the background for the comments section is also light grey, it might work better if the background was white.
ETA: The only problem I'm getting with this is that now the page for my seen all now seems incredibly long, so I actually would like the small font to be black also.

I like the new design for the most part except in the encyclopedia entries. Everything that used to be to the far right (links to columns and reviews, etc.) is now compacted in and sort of takes too much space. For the longer entries, or those that have a lot of related anime, you have to scroll down just to see the summary.

Like this: Mobile Suit Gundam

Last edited by undeadben on Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:38 am Reply with quote
Hmm, found what I think to be an error. I tried this on multiple browsers and the same thing happened.

Not for newer reviews, but only for older ones for some reason, the picture doesn't appear and some of the text is cut off and is kind of bugged. I'd like someone else to try to make sure it just isn't me. Just as a completely random example, Angelic Layer DVD 1. The picture is missing and it's kind of bugged... or at least that's what it displays for me.

Edit: Actually, it does happen on the newer ones but not the pictures. Near the bottom, part of the blue bar is missing and part of the text is cut off of "grade" and "production info"... Don't know if it's just me...
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:48 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Hmm, found what I think to be an error. I tried this on multiple browsers and the same thing happened.

Not for newer reviews, but only for older ones for some reason, the picture doesn't appear and some of the text is cut off and is kind of bugged. I'd like someone else to try to make sure it just isn't me. Just as a completely random example, Angelic Layer DVD 1. The picture is missing and it's kind of bugged... or at least that's what it displays for me.

Edit: Actually, it does happen on the newer ones but not the pictures. Near the bottom, part of the blue bar is missing and part of the text is cut off of "grade" and "production info"... Don't know if it's just me...

I've tried about 30 or so different reviews, new and old, and haven't come up with any glitches or missing pictures. But I don't know what it could possibly be if it is on your end. Sorry.

ETA: I'm using firefox.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:03 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
If you edit your category to regular font instead of the small font it changes to a black font and is easier to read.

Thanks for the tip. However, it would be my last resort, for doing so would make the length of my My Anime page from several dozen pages to over a hundred pages.

undeadben wrote:
I like the new design for the most part except in the encyclopedia entries. Everything that used to be to the far right (links to columns and reviews, etc.) is now compacted in and sort of takes too much space. For the longer entries, or those that have a lot of related anime, you have to scroll down just to see the summary.

Seconded. The far right functions originally took 15% of the total width, but now it's boosted to 30%, significantly reducing the main text area, not to mention the entire interface is now "floating" on a blue background with 12 pixels of blue borders at each side. Maybe a 20-25% width for the far right column (now exclusively for "latest articles") would be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:03 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:

Used IE... Hopefully someone can check it out on that.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:10 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
undeadben wrote:

No DVD cover with Firefox 2.0, plus a distortion like this:

Note the white "Review:" over blue LCARS bar.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:20 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
undeadben wrote:
If you edit your category to regular font instead of the small font it changes to a black font and is easier to read.

Thanks for the tip. However, it would be my last resort, for doing so would make the length of my My Anime page from several dozen pages to over a hundred pages.

I caught this right after I posted that. I tried scrolling down my seen all list with the regular sized font and it just seemed to go on and on, so I'd also like to see a return to black for the small font in my anime.

PantsGoblin wrote:
undeadben wrote:

I jinxed myself. Just after I posted my reply to you I started missing the picture in about 1 out of 5 clicks, tried Explorer and get the same thing. Also hadn't noticed the glitch with the white font on "Review" that dormcat posted, I get that on every entry.

Last edited by undeadben on Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:21 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
No DVD cover with Firefox 2.0, plus a distortion like this:

[img]

Note the white "Review:" over blue LCARS bar.

Yes, that's exactly how it looks to me. So it isn't just me then...
b214

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:50 am Reply with quote
It looks and feels great after the initial shock of no left side menu. I don't like the default color and would like it if the skins were ready first. Love my nervous systems
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9