• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Times Evolution Went Horribly Wrong

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chibi Shoujo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
From the title of the article I would've expected to see From The New World listed.

Exactly what I was thinking. The way evolution is adapted for that story and humanity's response to it feels all too real and downright creepy. Should've been on this list for sure.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
one giant, gelatinous blog of consciousness

I can't tell if that's a typo or not, but if it was intentional, it's a brilliant summation of the internet. :D

The Deadmen in Gungrave were pretty much science gone wrong. Moreso than Coordinators at least. I also agree that From the New World practically defines the List topic.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, in the current poll I voted for Tamers because this was my first edgy anime ever, more so than popular ones in my time.

The fact that the series was set differently was one of the reasons that why I enjoyed it, but also there's a character than interconnects two different series throughout Video games. spoiler[Akiyama Ryo] became my favorite character of all the series as a whole, with Ishida Yamato being my 2nd place.

BTW nice mention of the devils in Devil Lady, i thought them to be very frightening yo.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Of course in the case of Evangelion it's actually a de-evolution: returning humanity to the primordial ooze it originally came from. All because a bunch of old men couldn't get into heaven so they decided to make their own.

There is no heaven in the Eva world to get into; they just did this because they thought it was a good idea. Although I think they throw the phrase "primordial ooze" around to be poetic, it's really nothing like that, since it contains several billion consciousnesses in one, rather than zero or a fraction of one.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
The beginning of the first Pokémon movie is the playing God trope played straight, but it looks so sweet you're okay with it. Bonus points for that radio drama on Mewtwo's backstory with the little girl.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
Orochimaru and the villain of Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura have startling similarities (the language barrier makes plagiarism very unlikely, though).

Spoilers, of course.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/ArcanumOfSteamworksAndMagickObscura

spoiler[The only human ever to serve on the Elven Council in the Age of Legends. Banished to the Void for unrepentant experiments with necromancy. He, not Arronax, is the true villain of the game.

Affably Evil: He's very polite and cordial when speaking to you.

The Ageless: Only due to the effects of the Void. He has a normal human life span, but hasn't aged in 2000 years.

Anti-Villain

Big Bad

Black Cloak

Death Seeker: Deep inside, he just wants to stay in the afterlife, which, as he discovered, is eternal peace and enlightment, but the fear that one day he will be reincarnated or resurrected subconsiously drives him to prevent that in the only way he can, which he then rationalizes as the mission to end all pain and suffering. If the Living One both points this to him and provides the means of irreversible death, Kerghan will thank them and go out peacefully.

Evil Makes You Ugly: His studies of Black Necromancy have disfigured him in some way.

Expy: To The Master in Fallout 1. They’re both Well Intentioned Extremists with admittedly well-reasoned goals. There are three ways to complete the game with them: (1) Simply fight them, (2) join them and (3) point out the flaws of their argument.

Motive Rant: His impressive description of his study of death to the player.

Necromancer: Although White Necromancy (the healing of spirit and flesh, and ressurection magic) was common magic beforehand, Kerghan discovered the entire school of Black Necromancy (harming spirits and flesh, raising souls against their will, and animating soulless bodies).

Omnicidal Maniac: Or Omnicidal Sane as he has a well-thought-out argument for it.

Start of Darkness: Relatively standard Mad Scientist fare — from For Science!, through Just Think of the Potential, leading to Drunk on the Dark Side. You can witness it through a journal you can find during one side-quest.

Voice of the Legion: His Badass Baritone has some unearthly reverberation in it, a trait he shares with Silver Lady.

Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds]
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:45 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Of course in the case of Evangelion it's actually a de-evolution: returning humanity to the primordial ooze it originally came from. All because a bunch of old men couldn't get into heaven so they decided to make their own.

There is no heaven in the Eva world to get into; they just did this because they thought it was a good idea. Although I think they throw the phrase "primordial ooze" around to be poetic, it's really nothing like that, since it contains several billion consciousnesses in one, rather than zero or a fraction of one.

Your right and wrong evangelion is up to the viewers to fill in the gaps in its world because the writer won't ever say if someone is right or wrong on what people come up with about the show. I would say since Misato wears a cross she most likly believes in heaven so those beliefs do show up in the show. So you would be wrong to say theres no heaven.

Also the fact its always summer and Shinji always listens to 25 and 26 tracks on the tape. The same eps that are just everyone trying to get Shinji to understand hisself and love hisself saids the whole show could just be in his head and he's just a normal highschool kid thats sick of his life and choose to make one where he's in the center of everything and everyone counts on him
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:55 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Quote:
4. Coordinators

I don't get how that went wrong. Yeah, they chose to flee to space colonies to avoid persecution, but that isn't due to a flaw in their evolution. Yes, a war broke out, but it isn't like humanity never had those before. There are some twisted coordinators, but there are plenty of equally twisted naturals so that isn't a flaw with the evolution either.

Also, the perfection of the coordinator evolution (and his girlfriend) eventually end up stopping all the wars.

For an evolution to have gone wrong, there should need to be some aspect of it that ended up worse off. Like maybe they have a greater tendency to favor violence such as in Elfen Lied (though as mentioned nurture. However, coordinators only have the exact same negatives people did before that and are just better at doing everything.

While I agree the list only mentions the social ramifications rather than the biological there is actually one major draw back for the the Coordinators biologically speaking; low birth rates.

For some reason or another (probably the genetic modifications) many coordinator couples are having trouble having children due to genetic incompatibility. Its gotten so bad that the Zaft government had to pass a law making it illegal to marry someone who is genetically incompatible.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:19 am Reply with quote
GaryNhk wrote:
Your right and wrong evangelion is up to the viewers to fill in the gaps in its world because the writer won't ever say if someone is right or wrong on what people come up with about the show. I would say since Misato wears a cross she most likly believes in heaven so those beliefs do show up in the show. So you would be wrong to say theres no heaven.

Fair enough, but to say that Seele conceived and carried out the Human Instrumentality Project because they "couldn't get into Heaven" is based on nothing in the show, which was my point. It's because they think the world sucks and being a separate individual existence is painful, which is a struggle most characters face, and this has more relevance to the show.

Misato wears her cross because her father gave it to her seconds before he was vaporised saving her life. This was the first and last positive impression she has of a man she hated, and her hanging onto it is likely a physical manifestation of her carrying her regrets about her past and her conflicted relationship with her father. Notice as well that she gives it to Shinji in End of Evangelion, before spoiler[dying in an explosion – a clear parallel to her father's death]. This most likely means that while she may not agree everything she did was correct – indeed, she then asks Kaji if she did do the right thing – that she's made a measure of peace with her past decisions and leaves spoiler[surviving and deciding his course] to Shinji, after advising him as best as she can.

There's nothing to say that Misato doesn't believe in an afterlife, but nothing to say that she does, either. The nonexistence of heaven, rather than a person being barred from it, also has much greater significance to the show, particularly considering Yui's closing statement that "anywhere can be tengoku (paradise/Heaven) as long as you have the will to live". Having an actual Heaven in the show only cheapens a lot of what characters grapple with, though a nebulous "higher power" (beyond that of the First Ancestral Race) can have some meaning if you like to think of it like that.
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote
I know Anno used religion in the show because its not well known in japan and can be use to tell seemly deep stories from it. Nervs logo is God's in his heaven, all's right with the world. Its right there in there motto heaven. So in the show it must be well know thats theres a belief of god and a place called heaven. I don't understand why most eva fans dislike religion elements that make up alot of the show so much like adam, eve, lilith, tree of life, Rei becomes god, Shinji becomes jesus becomes a martr and gets reborn. You see where he got his ideas from but tons of eva fan turn up there noise to it

Yes I know about the 3 items that the chars hold onto from the past that gave them comfort. The cross, the tape player and the glasses each of those items can also mean other things as well. I said at the start its up to the viewer to fill in the gaps Anno isn't going too. Even the end that part can be look at in different ways. Maybe it was Rei giving Shinji what he always wanted to hear loving words from his mother. She did the same with everyone else before they died.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
It's so awesome to see The DevilLady take the top spot in anything! Personally, I dislike the way the Japanese do horror, but I love The DevilLady, it's not only my favorite horror anime, it's among my favorite anime TV shows, period.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
Blue Gender has been mentioned, but ..

God Eater? Hard to see anything bleaker than that.

Humanity has Declined? (right in the title for that one)

Ergo Proxy? (sort of -- seems society evolved badly more than the actual humans)

Flowers of Evil? (just kidding -- yet Nakamura is a genetic atavism if I have ever seen one).

Finally: From The New World (Shin Sekai Yori). In this one humans have evolved from being morally repugnant organisms to morally repugnant organisms with superpowers. This one should have been #1 on any such list.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
What? No Blues from Blue Gender? Wink

i was wondering about that. i would definitely put the blue over boogiepop phantom or even orochimaru considering that their the Epiphany of evolution going straight to hell in a handbasket. though yea,nothing would outdo those crackpots from SEELE and the uber batty ass insane gendo ikari. i mean causing the end of the world cause they arent happy?no wonder god was so pissed off at humanity that he had to send in the angels to start Armageddon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
those crackpots from SEELE and the uber batty ass insane gendo ikari.

I would argue that EVA had nothing to do with evolution and for that reason don't belong on this topic's list. (Good description of good old Gendo though.) EVA was all about technocrats using science to manipulate humans and the world. Scientific Railgun would also be in this category, although the esp powers did seem to evolve from a normal population.
Barciad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Ahb - Crest of the Stars
A Frankenstein's Monster that broke loose, killed its creators, and now rules half the galaxy with an iron fist (albeit in a velvet glove).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4